• Tweets

• is the home in joint names but this is solely your debt? need far more history to be able to comment if it's paid off and was not just written of by one partly on their books and sold to anther, thus the cra file says £0. dx
    • So, Sunak has managed to get someone to 'volunteer to go to Rwanda hasn't he? .. for just £3000 payment to the person plus 5 years free board and lodging isnt it? - cost to UK taxpayer over £300M+ (300 million quid+) isnt it? - Bargain says Rwanda, especially with all the profit we made privately selling those luxury chalets Bravermann advertised for us   I wonder how many brits would jump at that offer? Thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Lets see, up to 5 years free board and lodging and £3k in my pocket .. I'd go - and like that person - just come back if/when I get bored. First job - off to Botswana for a week to see the elephants.   Of course the paid volunteers going to Botswana are meaningless - Rwanda have REPEATEDLY said they wont take any forcibly trafficked people in breach of international law eh? Have the poops actually got any civil servants to agree to go yet - probably end up as more massive payments to VIPal contractors to go and sit there doing nowt shortly eh?    
    • Hi Wondered if I could get a little advise please. I entered into a commercial lease (3 years) and within a few months I had to leave as the business I was trading with collapsed. I returned the keys to the landlord and explained the situation and no money, also likely to go on benefits but the landlord stuck to their guns. They have now instructed solicitors to send letter before action claiming just over £4000. The lease was mine and so the debt. I know this. I have emailed the solicitors twice to explain I am out of work and that with help from family I could offer a full and final settlement figure of £1500 or £10pw. This was countered by them with an offer to reduce the debt by £400, or pay off the amount over 12 months. I went back with an improved full and final offer of £2500 or £20pw. This has been rejected with the comment 'papers ready to go to court'. I have no hope of paying the £4000 and so it will have to go to court. Pity as I have no debts otherwise but not working is a killer. I wondered if they take me to court, could I ask for mediation? I also think that taking me to court will result in a pretty much nothing per week payment from my benefits. Are companies just pushing ahead with action even if a better offer is on the table? Thanks for your help.
    • Hi all, Many thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, the reply to the email was as expected…   Starbucks UK Customer Care <[email protected]> Hi xxxxxx, We are sorry to read you received a parking charge after using our Stansted Airport - A120 DT store. Unfortunately, the car park here is managed by MET parking. Both Starbucks and EuroGarages who own and operate this site are not able to help and have no authority to overturn any parking charges received. If you have followed the below terms then you would need to send all correspondence to [email protected], who will be able to assist you further. Several signs around the car park clarify the below terms and conditions: • Maximum stay 60 minutes, whilst the store is open. If the store is closed, pay to park applies. • The car park is for Starbucks customers only who make a purchase in our store, a charge will be issued if you left the site. • If you had made a purchase and required additional time, you must have inputted your registration number into the in store iPad which would have extended your stay up to 3 hours • To park in a disabled bay, you must have displayed a valid disabled badge. • If Starbucks was closed, you must have paid for parking as charges still apply, following signage located on site. • If you didn’t use the store, you must have paid for parking, following signage located on site Please ensure all further correspondence is directed to MET parking at the above email address, and accept our apologies that we cannot help you further on this matter.  Kind Regards,  Lora K  Customer Care Team Leader Starbucks Coffee Company, Building 4 Chiswick Park, London, W4 5YE
    • Thanks HB edited and re-uploaded. Thanks for the heads up 👍
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Section 21(1)(b) is my notice defective?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4500 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear Users,

I have recently been served a Section 21(1)(b) Notice requiring possession as shown below:

"ADDRESS:

04 January 2012

Dear ******* & ********

Re: ****************************

We have been instructed by the landlord of the above property to serve notice on you to vacate the property on or before 8th March 2012.

Should you wish to discuss this matter or the reasons why this has been requested for us to serve you should contact your landlord.

Can you please confirm that you have received this by signing and returning the copy letter enclosed.

We will deliver this by hand to ensure receipt at the property.

yours sincerely

Receive notification of notice ___________________________

Tenants to sign above. "

After some research I am noting some points which might be worth knowing.

- We are students at University

- I do not know what they are saying about delivering by hand, but this was never given to me in person, in fact we found it on the floor when we arrived after holidays.

- We have an Assured Shorthold tenancy agreement: Fixed Term for 12 months from 10th October 2011 to 10th October 2012.

-Since October, we have continue to ask the letting agents for a copy of the tenancy agreement, to which up to this date they have failed to provide several times, in fact last time we have been told they cannot find and they don't have and will send it to us when it is located but they didn't.

Is there anything wrong about the way this notice has been served? I have read in some cases these notices are defective, but we are unsure.

Thank you, I look forward to your responses

TwoStudents

Dear Users,

I have recently been served a Section 21(1)(b) Notice requiring possession as shown below:

"ADDRESS:

04 January 2012

Dear ******* & ********

Re: ****************************

We have been instructed by the landlord of the above property to serve notice on you to vacate the property on or before 8th March 2012.

Should you wish to discuss this matter or the reasons why this has been requested for us to serve you should contact your landlord.

Can you please confirm that you have received this by signing and returning the copy letter enclosed.

yours sincerely

Receive notification of notice ___________________________

Tenants to sign above. "

After some research I am noting some points which might be worth knowing.

- We are students at University

- I do not know what they are saying about delivering by hand, but this was never given to me in person, in fact we found it on the floor when we arrived after holidays.

- We have an Assured Shorthold tenancy agreement: Fixed Term for 12 months from 10th October 2011 to 10th October 2012.

-Since October, we have continue to ask the letting agents for a copy of the tenancy agreement, to which up to this date they have failed to provide several times, in fact last time we have been told they cannot find and they don't have and will send it to us when it is located but they didn't.

Is there anything wrong about the way this notice has been served? I have read in some cases these notices are defective, but we are unsure.

Thank you, I look forward to your responses

TwoStudents

Yes, it is very wrong BUT, you do not have a copy of the Tenancy Agreement so you may have a problem. Does the letter clearly state a Section 21 at the top? A Section 21 is INVALID and cannot be served within the first 6 months of any Tenancy anyway so there is the first error.

IF you have an agreement then to break it early you must have broken at least one of the conditions and, even then, it normally needs a Court Order to have you evicted.

Without your agreement you really have a difficult situation. Have you got a receipt for your deposit and is it registered in a Deposit Protection scheme?

It is obvious that 'they' are trying it on here. Did you all sign the tenancy? Was this place part of any University supply scheme? I would have a word with your University as they will have people on Campus that can help you but, so far, they have made the mistake as the Section 21 is not valid.

Good luck and pop back with any further questions.

Gordies

If you are confirming that this has been put through your letter box, without having gone through the Royal Mail or other postal system.. then they have done as they say and "Delivered by Hand"

Their intention was to ensure it arrived at the property.

Had they said something that indicated that a "personal service" had been made then I think you might have a point.

However, having said that.. are these notices required to be served on you personally.. if so, then just slipping it into the letterbox probably doesnt count.

What is concerning is that you have not been given a copy of the tenancy agreement. I will try and find someone with more knowledge of this situation for you.

• Confused 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Gordies, Thank you for your reply.

With regards to the receipt of the deposit, this is our second year at this flat. In the first year we received a certificate of tenancy registration which states clearly the dates of beginning on 11-10-2010 and ending after 10-10-2011, this is register with the DS (Dispute Service). When we asked for a certificate for the second year, we were told the first certificate still applies and the deposit continues to be protected.

Regarding the tenancy agreement, we have both signed it. This is not part of a university supply scheme, we are renting from a private landlord and through the agency.

@CitizenB

Thank you that would be useful

Ahh, that is good to know because, in that case, IF they cannot provide a copy of your 'new' tenancy agreement then legally the old one is still in place on an ongoing basis until such times as correct notice is served OR a new tenancy is provided.

Have you done anything to break the tenancy or is your rent always paid on time and do you have a receipt for the payments?

You need to ask them why they have served notice - ASK the agent, not the Landlord as that is what the Agent is there for.

IF they claim you have broken any of the tenancy agreements then they cannot simply go straight to a Section 21, they must serve a Section 8 first. A section 21 is normally only used to gain possession at the END of an assured tenancy.

There is obviously a reason the landlord wants his place back. Do you have anything at all in writing that states until October 2012? Even confirmation that your deposit is protected until October 2012 will help in the absence of a tenancy agreement.

Edited by gordies

Additionally, the letter that I posted here does not state or mention anything about a section 21(1)(b) Notice Require Possession , however the letter came with a separate document (or paper if you like) titled: Notice Requiring Possession clearly stating in the right upper corner Section 21(1)(b).

We have always paid the rent without fail, however we did let a friend stay and he was caught by the brother of the landlord who visited the flat. We have denied for the visit to be made as we were not present and he did not give the 48 hour notice. The friend is now gone. We tried to talk to landlord about this matter but he has ceased contact with us for about 2 weeks and still does not make any effort to contact us. We believe this has caused him to serve the notice on us, but we find this unreasonable as it was not illegal and the flat is in perfect condition.

If you can let us have the answer to the following:-

Have you done anything to breach the tenancy? Have you ever been served a Section 8? Do you pay your rent on time and do you have receipts? Do you have written confirmation that your deposit is protected until October 2012? How many of you signed the new tenancy?

Ok, so letting a friend stay - how long did he stay? Did you sublet to him or did you just let him stay over a few nights? What does the tenancy say about things like that?

We have not been served Section 8 at all. We pay rent on time and we pay through online banking, so everything is recorded. We do not have any written confirmation that our deposit is protected until October 2012. We are two of us in two bedroom flat using one room only. We have let him stay for couple of weeks and we agreed that it would be helpful if he contributed to the rent, but we didnt gained anything from it. In the old tenancy agreement it states that landlord should give consent first and that it can not be unreasonably withheld. The problem was that the landlord did not know about this as this all happened quickly and our friend needed place to stay. Also landlord always takes really long time to respond to anything, we have never seen him or spoke to him.

Right guys,

It is now smelling like the Landlord is seeking possession under a rolling contract claim in the absence of a new tenancy Now, as tenants you have a right to a copy of your 'new' agreement within 28 days of demanding such. Do you have it in writing anywhere that the Agency cannot find your new tenancy agreement?

Personally, I would write to the Agency demanding that they supply a copy of the new tenancy agreement that you all signed on xx October 2011 and remind them that they have 28 days in which to comply with this demand.

Without a copy of your new tenancy you are going to have a fight I'm afraid. However, the Section 21 notice is still defective and invalid so, legally, you have not been served notice.

Gordies

OHH, hold on, You were served a Section 21(b) - This is the form for an assured tenancy, not a periodic one so by sending you a 21(b) they are accepting an assured tenancy is in place. :)

I am in the process of writing a sample letter for you to send to the AGENT.

back in a bit, Gordies

Edited by gordies

Thank you Gordies, we are preparing this demand now and we will be talking with the university. Please let us know if there is anything else we might have missed out on. We will keep close check on this thread at all times. We will reply once we have found out more information. Thank you again its given us a great start to the day!!

TwoStudents

OHH, hold on, You were served a Section 21(b) - This is the form for an assured tenancy, not a periodic one so by sending you a 21(b) they are accepting an assured tenancy is in place. :)

I am in the process of writing a sample letter for you to send to the AGENT.

back in a bit, Gordies

thats right, Thanks!

So are you saying you signed a new contract at the end of your first year? But you were not given a copy?

Let's look at it from the position where they deny there is a contract or they claim the terms are different:

Evidence that you signed a contract would be good. The fact that they have used a Section 21(1)b is good evidence as if you had not signed a new contract, Section 21(4) would be the relevant notice.

ASTs are a minimum of 5 months, so if the previous contract ran out in October, the new contract would not reach 6 months till the beginning of April.

In essence you could completely ignore this notice and simply fail to move out in March. They would need to get a court order to evict you at which point they would have to produce the contract that you signed, or claim that you didn't sign a contract (at which point you ask why they used Section 21(1)b).

Also as a backup plan, what date of the month is your rent due according to the contract? A Section 21(4) notice would need to end at the end of a rental period - you say your contract is from 10th of month, but the notice is for 8th of month.

Dear Sirs,

re: Short Assured Tenancy

We require you to provide to us, within the statutory 28 days, a copy of our new tenancy agreement signed on XX October 2011.

We are aware that the new agreement is for a period of 12 months and is an assured tenancy.

We advise you that the Section 21(b) recently delivered by hand is invalid as an assured tenancy, like we have, is for a fixed period and cannot be brought to an end early without a Court Order.

We have maintained our rent payments on time and have never been served with a Section 8 notice at any time regarding any failings by us in respect of our tenancy agreement. Therefore a Section 21(b) will only be valid if served in August 2012 a minimum of 2 months before our assured tenancy is due to end.

We look forward to receipt of a copy of the new tenancy agreement within 28 days.

Yours faithfully,

tenant 1 & tenant 2

Well done gordies, you got in before me with the Section 21(1) bit.

I would repeat however, there is an option to simply ignore the notice. If the letting agent magically conjures up a 6 month agreement they could try to get you out in April. If you simply stay on and refuse to move, the delay due to the need to issue a fresh 2-months' notice can help.

Certainly worth not replying till after 10th February.

Obviously this tactic leads to issues if they want to show potential new tenants around.

Another option is to look for a better place and negotiate an easy, flexible, move based on your strong position. If you do that, get things in writing.

• Confused 1

@Gordies

Thank you so much for the letter, this will definitely come in handy. We will edit it so it mentions the request of the tenancy agreement document and the new deposit scheme certificate.

@Steve_M

We have also been thinking that we do not mind delaying this as we now start our University Spring Term.

As a result what we will do is simply not reply to the notice or mention that it is incorrect so as to state that it is invalid when the right time comes.

We will also send an edit of Gordie's letter after february 10th, we see the link between the remaining time.

In fact at the end of the day, we do not mind moving out after exams in June, we can delay to our advantage. Our biggest concern then would be

securing the safe return of our deposit.

Thanks! Gordies and Steve_M, we will keep you guys updated.

Just make sure at the end of your tenancy you get an inspection done when you are present and get a signed copy of the closing inventory and notification of any things they are unhappy with (if any).

good luck with exams when the come around !

Gordies

• Confused 1

The notice is also invalid as it should be 9th of whatever month as the original AST was signed on the 10th.

As Steve M says I would just ignore it, they do not need any reason whatsoever to issue a section 21 notice. If you were to take this section 21 to the Council they would tell you to ignore it as it is not valid due to the dates. If LL then wants to take you to court, he will have to go through the whole process again properly.

This will give you at least 3 -4 months before you will have to go to court properly.

• Confused 1

I am not a solicitor :!::!:

Most of my knowledge came from this site :-D:-D

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

A Section 21 is INVALID and cannot be served within the first 6 months of any Tenancy anyway so there is the first error.

Not strictly correct - a S21 (1)b can be served on the tenant at any time during their tenancy and even within the 1st six months of a fixed term. The expiry date of the Notice is the key. For instance a Section 21 can be served upon the tenants on the 1st day of their tenancy which requires possession six months later. The Notice requires the landlord to give a MINIMUM of two months notice. It is common practice within a good agency to serve this on the commencement date of the tenancy and it is then superseded if an extension to the tenancy is agreed.

I do not think it can be stated that the Notice you have been given is invalid without seeing a copy of it.

A Section 8 Notice is something completely different and is a notice of intention to take legal action against a tenant through the courts upon anyone or multiple of 17 Grounds.

Dear Sirs,

re: Short Assured Tenancy

We require you to provide to us, within the statutory 28 days, a copy of our new tenancy agreement signed on XX October 2011.

We are aware that the new agreement is for a period of 12 months and is an assured tenancy.

We advise you that the Section 21(b) recently delivered by hand is invalid as an assured tenancy, like we have, is for a fixed period and cannot be brought to an end early without a Court Order.

We have maintained our rent payments on time and have never been served with a Section 8 notice at any time regarding any failings by us in respect of our tenancy agreement. Therefore a Section 21(b) will only be valid if served in August 2012 a minimum of 2 months before our assured tenancy is due to end.

We look forward to receipt of a copy of the new tenancy agreement within 28 days.

Yours faithfully,

tenant 1 & tenant 2

To the OP - unfortunately the part about Section 21 (1)b here is totally incorrect - see my earlier post. Your tenancy can be brought to an end using the correct notice - as to whether you move out is something completely different and then the landlord would need a court order to evict you - this takes a lot of time even if under the Accelerated Possession Procedure.

As we believe your tenancy is an assured short hold tenancy - these can be arranged either verbally or in writing.

I would write to the agent a letter signed by all named tenants stating that a 12 month tenancy was agreed from 10th Oct 2011 to 9 Oct 2012 and signed upon whichever date you were at the agency and the Notice you have been provided is therefore invalid as you have a fixed term contract until 9th October 2012 and there are no break clauses allowing either the landlord nor tenant to serve notice during the fixed term (assuming this is the case). Tell them that if they dispute the that this tenancy exists you will seek legal advice and to acknowledge receipt of your letter in writing. Request again a copy of the fixed term tenancy agreement/extension that you signed.

Edited by R J Dearden

This may sound silly, but i suppose break clauses are the bullet points outlined in the agreement?

These are the most relevant with regards to notices:

In the agreement it says:

The agreement may not be terminated early unless the agreement contains a break clause or written permission is obtained from the landlord.

Under General Notes

It says:

Section 196 of the law of property act 1925 provides that a notice shall be sufficiently served.

The agreement also states:

The parties agree before the landlord can end this tenancy he shall serve any notice(s) on the Tenant in accordance with provisions of the housing acts. Such notice(s) shall be sufficiently served if served at the last known address of the tenant in accordance with section 196 of the law of property act 1925.