Home owner rights with Housing Associations service charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4544 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

No idea where this goes and one of my main aims with this post is to try and see if there is enough of a ground swell out there about Housing associations (HA) and service charges.

Basically, I own a house on an estate which is freehold and I have to pay service charges as laid out in the covenant. I was aware of this at purchase and was O.K with it. However, since purchase in the past two years the HA has put up the charges by 25% in the last two consecutive years and I now discover that unlike leaseholders I have absolutely no rights in law (or at least to my basic knowledge and a solicitor) to challenge the increase in fee.

Basically, there is a small group of us in the north west of england. Is there anyone else in this situation? I am interested in trying to gather people from all over the country in this situation and then use weight of numbers to put pressure on the government to legislate this area.

Furthermore, I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has fought any sort of battle with a housing association and won.

If you won, how did you win?

Was it a legal battle if so please let me have the details.

Many thanks in advance

Catzeyes79

Hi

Have you checked the Housing Associations Website since they seem to be your Factor for Service Charges look for anything to do with Factoring/Service Charges.

Not all but most have a section for Homeowners and Factoring ie:

1. Your Rights and Responsibilities as a Homeowner.

2. The Housing Associations Rights and Responsibilities as a Factor.

3. A Simple Guide to Deed of Conditions.

4. An Explanation of Common Charges.

5. Housing Associations Homeowners Handbook.

You could also just right to them requesting this information.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group