• Tweets

• again a quick google search states Appeal a DVLA fine - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) i would not be appealing mind. it's only a summary charge which they rarely do court on and pass out the powerless DCA's whom are not bailiffs they have 6mts. see where they go. as you've sorn'd it will probably be nulled. dx  
    • There are a number of reasons why you may not have been issued a notice in the post within 14 days. If you were stopped by the police it may have been given verbally. In the case of speeding offences, the police may issue you with a conditional offer of a fixed penalty of 3 points and £100.00 fine by post or an offer of a speed awareness course. If the offence is considered too serious for a speed awareness course or fixed penalty you may be charged with an offence which normally occurs by way of the issue of a Single Justice Procedure Notice. If the vehicle within which the alleged offence took place was registered to another person or company there is technically no need for a notice to be issued to the driver. After the police have obtained details of the nominated the driver, they will normally send the notice to them, although there are no time limits within which they must do so (provided that the notice was received within 14 days by the registered keeper of the vehicle). In such circumstances, a person may receive a notice several months after the alleged offence too place but still be prosecuted. A Guide to a Notice of Intended Prosecution | Motoring Offence Lawyers the above copy n paste link has purely been copy n pasted here to inform you of the regs, which you could have done yourself by, as this is, a google search......... we do not ever recommend using such offered webservices! dont dx    
    • all DYL's are subject to a TRO. looking at this newish, ever increasing as old ind units have gotten removed, estate, there are only lines on one side, on the other there is a parking lane with traffic calming through which you mention. i seriously doubt your mate has any clue what he is talking about.!! its not a private housing assoc estate. so its a public council owned road. no construction co can just decide to draw their graffiti on a road. the DYLs are certainly there pre 2016 even before his home was built. now ive had a quick look to see if the main access to royal park road has signs. there is no royle park road even on your map but there is a royal barn road which leads to where you are parked royal road has a restriction sign on the pole by the fence of the electric substation jnc with gipsy lane there does not appear to be one leading in from the other end - tesco petrol station
    • Hi All. I was driving in Stevenage down a 40 road after coming off the motor way, i noticed my car felt a little "weird" i accelerated, then slowed the car down.  Shortly after i got stopped by a manned police car with a laser. During the stop the officer stated i was doing 54 in a 40, the conversation was short, but he said i would unlikely get a awareness course and it was most likely 3 points and a fine.  Mrs thought it was a good idea to have dairy when she is lactose intolerant on date night, we just got on our way.  At the time, i didnt admit to the offence, but did say i didnt realise and had slowed down in any case. The officers chest camera was recording and on. At the stop, he asked where to send the fine to, as i knew i would be travelling to visit family up north, i provided my temporary details at that location in Yorkshire. It is now 05/05 and i haven't received anything at either my home address in Stevenage or the temporary address. 1. Is there a time limit in which paperwork needs to be sent to me. 2. Should i query the ticket as i don't want to miss any deadlines (if so who do i check with?) OR should i keep quiet. 3. Given nothing has arrived in 20 days, is there a chance of appeal if and when it comes through? Many thanks CrazeUK
    • Hi All. A family friends car was having issues when she was on a trip visiting family up north at the beginning of January.  She ended up leaving it at my friends garage in the same location, who parked it on his forecourt to investigate the issue, however he said most likely it is beyond economical repair as its a serious gearbox fault. In the meantime i replaced her car with one of my spare cars. The insurance on the car then expired in at the end of January.  When the insurance expired, I sent a paper V890 paper as i didnt have her V5 Reference number in hand to do it online (i have a copy of this).  She didnt mention she hadnt received any confirmation as she didnt know if she would get one.  She then cancelled her road tax at the end of March (i think) as she was paying by DD. She then was travelling up north so didnt get her mail until last week. She received a letter dated 09/04/2024 stating she had failed to insure the vehicle and there was a £100 fine which could be reduced to £50 if she responds by 11/05/2024.  As soon as we noticed, i got her to dig  out the V5 and SORN'd the vehicle.   My friend has been a bit slow in checking the fault, however i suspect it will still be scrapped and is still on his forecourt. Is this possible to appeal?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Job Seekers Allowance - NI contributions level?

jimatgp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4545 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife has just been made redundant and her application for JSA was refused as she has apparently not paid enough NI contributions. I am contemplating appealing the decision so thought I'd better check exactly what NI contributions were required to qualify for JSA. After hours of fruitless searching I've ended up here.

I can find nowhere that states the exact level of NI required. All the "official" sites simply say that JSA entitlement is based on your NI contributions... but they won't tell you how much NI you need to have paid. Is this some kind of state secret? Do they think the calculation is too complicated for us mere mortals to understand? Or are they just scared we might uncover too many errors in their arbitrary decision-making process?

So does anyone out there know what the formula is for calculating the amount of NI you need to have paid to qualify?

The formula isn't arbitrary and isn't secret, but it is a little confusing.

First off, this is benefit year 2011 - benefit years run from January to January. For a claim made in benefit year 2011, the last two completed tax years prior to 2011 are considered. Since the tax year runs from April - April, the relevant ones are 2008/2009 and 2009/2010. Then there are two conditions to be satisfied.

First contribution condition: in either of the two relevant income tax years (RITYs) she must have actually paid NI contributions on earnings that are at least 25 times the weekly lower earnings limit for NI.

Second contribution condition: in both of the RITYs she must have paid or been credited with NI contributions on earnings that are at least 50 times the weekly lower earnings limit for NI.

The lower earnings limit for this year is £102 per week. It will have been slightly lower in the RITYs they used for your wife's claim as it is adjusted annually.

Edited by antone
Corrected figure for lower earnings limit - I had put £104

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Thanks for the reply antone. Very helpful. I just don't understand why that information isn't published in any of the pamphlets or web sites that deal with JSA. I guess the assumption is that Joe Public is too thick to be trusted with such complex information!

The information is publicised on the DWP website. The contribution conditions (alongside other conditions of JSA) are set out in the IS/JSA guides, which can be located here via the CAG library as well as the DWP website if you want to have a look through. A lot of reading though!

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

i remember being told something about this. Try asking for income based job seeker's allowance, not contribution based. i think it works differently, and the NI should hopefully not affect the claim.

I don't think you can ask for income based. I seem to remember that they check NI first and then if you don't qualify, check income.

The formula isn't arbitrary and isn't secret, but it is a little confusing.

First off, this is benefit year 2011 - benefit years run from January to January. For a claim made in benefit year 2011, the last two completed tax years prior to 2011 are considered. Since the tax year runs from April - April, the relevant ones are 2008/2009 and 2009/2010. Then there are two conditions to be satisfied.

First contribution condition: in either of the two relevant income tax years (RITYs) she must have actually paid NI contributions on earnings that are at least 25 times the weekly lower earnings limit for NI.

Second contribution condition: in both of the RITYs she must have paid or been credited with NI contributions on earnings that are at least 50 times the weekly lower earnings limit for NI.

The lower earnings limit for this year is £102 per week. It will have been slightly lower in the RITYs they used for your wife's claim as it is adjusted annually.[/quote

Hi Antone,

Can you help me with this also please.

I went sick from work in Jan 2009, I earned about £125 a week after tax.

I was put on income based and contribution based after my ssp ran out. I was then sacked from my job in July 2009.

I was informed in August that I had been put onto contribution based only in April 2011.

Is this correct, the DWP told me that I have to be put on the benefit which pays me the most money but I am not getting any more money.

I am now having to pay council tax and prescriptions. I am also having to prove to my council that I was not aware of being put on contribution based so am in arrears with my council tax. I didnt get a letter until August and as I was not getting any extra money it did not occur to me to inform the council.

I will be about £8 a week worse off because of the council tax.

Thanks.

Hi Antone,

Can you help me with this also please.

I went sick from work in Jan 2009, I earned about £125 a week after tax.

I was put on income based and contribution based after my ssp ran out. I was then sacked from my job in July 2009.

I was informed in August that I had been put onto contribution based only in April 2011.

Is this correct, the DWP told me that I have to be put on the benefit which pays me the most money but I am not getting any more money.

I am now having to pay council tax and prescriptions. I am also having to prove to my council that I was not aware of being put on contribution based so am in arrears with my council tax. I didnt get a letter until August and as I was not getting any extra money it did not occur to me to inform the council.

I will be about £8 a week worse off because of the council tax.

Thanks.

This is a bit strange. If you were/are sick (rather than claiming JSA) can you tell us some more information? Specifically:

What benefit are you on? By this I mean your primary benefit - such as Incapacity Benefit, ESA or perhaps Income Support.

Was any explanation given for the change in your benefit? Did they send you any letter explaining this?

Has there been any change in your circumstances? Do you have a new partner, for example, or have you received any large amount of money?

Also note that if benefits are your only source of income, you may still be entitled to Council Tax Benefit, Housing Benefit and help with healthcare costs - regardless of whether your benefits are contribution- or income-based. You can speak to your local council about the first two, and your Jobcentre should be able to give you form HC1, which is an application for help with costs like prescriptions and dental treatment.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Hi,

I was ill from a work accident was on ssp then when it ran out I went on esa.

I got dismissed from work.

I won my tribunal and was put in the work focused group.

I was awarded a bit of money in compensation in May but that doesnt get taken into account for 52 weeks and was not very much.

The letters just say a change in circumstances.

I was told by the esa people that I am was changed from cb and ib because i have t be on the benefit that pays more, i dont get any more.

I am going to get help with some of my council tax but have built up a bill because no one told me.

I am having to pay out more with no extra coming in.

I have a working child and am awarded DLA mobility.

The information is publicised on the DWP website. The contribution conditions (alongside other conditions of JSA) are set out in the IS/JSA guides... A lot of reading though!

Tons of information... thank you. BUT it STILL doesn't actually state anywhere what the actual calculation is for how much NI contributions you have to have paid to be eligible for CB JSA. Thanks to antone I now know this. But why is it not published anywhere?

Just out of interest antone, how do you know what the magic formula is?

?

Just out of interest antone, how do you know what the magic formula is?

Heh. I used to work for Jobcentre plus.

The information is published in there, starting from paragraph 21051 onward.

All of the DMG's are publically available - I encourage people to use exact quotes from these guides when appealing wrongful decisions as it leaves no room for doubt.

Antone knows the information because of his former employment, which was processing benefit. He's a handy man to have around, very good at advising others.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

Heh. I used to work for Jobcentre plus.

And you've never been quite the same since!

Lol just kidding. We've had a few former employees here, some still work within the role and they are always very helpful.

Antone, would you ever consider going back into it but from the perspective of representing claimants? You're very good with advice, you'd make a great rep.

And you've never been quite the same since!

Lol just kidding. We've had a few former employees here, some still work within the role and they are always very helpful.

Antone, would you ever consider going back into it but from the perspective of representing claimants? You're very good with advice, you'd make a great rep.

Appreciate the kind words, Erika - you do a fine job here yourself.

I would consider doing welfare advice or representing claimants, though I'd need to broaden my knowledge. I can do ESA, I'm alright with JSA, but IS makes me want to run screaming from the room :lol:

Hi,

I was ill from a work accident was on ssp then when it ran out I went on esa.

I got dismissed from work.

I won my tribunal and was put in the work focused group.

I was awarded a bit of money in compensation in May but that doesnt get taken into account for 52 weeks and was not very much.

The letters just say a change in circumstances.

I was told by the esa people that I am was changed from cb and ib because i have t be on the benefit that pays more, i dont get any more.

I am going to get help with some of my council tax but have built up a bill because no one told me.

I am having to pay out more with no extra coming in.

I have a working child and am awarded DLA mobility.

Hmm. This is strange. It is true that if you are entitled to both means-tested and contributory benefits, and the amount is the same, then the contributory benefit takes precedence. I would make a point of contacting the office that pays your benefit (not your Jobcentre, it will be called a "Benefit Centre" or a "Benefit Delivery Centre") and ask them what change of circumstances has caused this. This is crucial. There are changes of circumstances that might create your problem, yes. But most of them are obvious: you got married or moved in with someone; you inherited a large sum of money, that kind of thing.

Assuming none of this has happened to you, you need to find out from JCP the precise reason they have made this decision. And you are entitled to be told.