• Tweets

• Just a typo change that I'd make for the last line. Maybe also add something that says "I assume you will be fully aware that you cannot rely on a clause of a contract that you do not produce."
    • Hello, Firstly, and most importantly I am sorry for your loss. I would go back to the bank with the death certificate and ask them to step in. Remind them firmly but politely that there is no limit for DD claims   Please let us know how you get on.
    • My wife is the named person to his bank account with him having Dementia being his daughter (I say named person she still is but he recently passed away and the deputyship application has now being stopped by the solicitor as it's no longer needed) We've only just got the Death Certificate so the bank will be the next step informing them. She went to the bank and explained the situation but even being his named person the bank said she didn't have the power to stop DD without any legal documents (virgin money) was the bank. She could have copies of bank statements that was about it.
    • I see you said you tried to stop the DD but it seems that didn't work. May I please ask why that didn't work? You should be asking your bank to cancel the DD and I don't see why they would have objected, hopefully you can clarify this. I agree that you should be making a claim here against your bank and ask them for a DD refund. There is no timeframes for this.
    • JK: Yeah That's correct. We left rent payment coming out of his bank account from January 2023 - August 2023 until we could find somewhere to sort out his belongings which was fine. I tried to give notice a few times from August 2023 asking for advice from Sanctuary housing how we went about this explaining his condition and that he was in a Nursing home from December 2022. I explained we don't have any legal powers to his account like POT but were in the process of going for Deputyship and that I was the named person to act on his behalf to speak with Santuary housing. I said we could provide details of his condition and proof he was now in a nursing home with date he moved in. This went ignored despite repeated attempts to contact them until a housing manager contacted us end of February 2024 and notice was finally accepted with his tenancy coming to an end March 22 2024. Although they have continued to take rental payments for the flat despite someone else living in it from the 1st April. I wasn't aware payments were still being taken till I checked his May banks statements. I had asked them to back date rental payments to August 2023 when I gave notice rather than just giving notice in March 2024 but they've ignored that bit. I don't see why they shouldn't give it back they've taken money they shouldn't have. Thanks DX, I wasn't aware we could do that for that length of time. I'll ask my wife to check with the bank this week
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bong v HSBC *Contractual Interest & 13yr claim**WON!!!**

Guest bong
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6155 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

don't think they read yours very well, did they?!!!

(btw, after xmas is fine, thankx)

I have actually read a fair bit of this thread as many others. However I don't feel there is anything wrong with reiterating points in letters especially if the reason they are trying to wriggle out of paying out money is due to exhaustion of time. I had a feeling Bong would have mentioned this as i posted earlier.

Tanz

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tanz, you may have misinterpreted what i said - it was a sarcastic throwaway aimed at the bank's response to bong. sorry if it got taken the wrong way. please accept apology if i offended you, no intention.

have a very pleasant holiday, everyone!

tanz, you may have misinterpreted what i said - it was a sarcastic throwaway aimed at the bank's response to bong. sorry if it got taken the wrong way. please accept apology if i offended you, no intention.

have a very pleasant holiday, everyone!

None taken. I miss read it. Happy xmas to you too.

thanks for the input everyone. I'm sorry I haven't been around much over Christmas.

Unfortunately I ran out of time for getting my application to strike in before the AQ deadline which was today. I tried last night but found it all a bit too much to get done and then decided it wasn't worth getting it wrong. So I concentrated on getting the AQ in today, which I hand delivered to the court.

At (G) I asked the court for an extra 7 days in which to submit an Application Notice seeking an order for the defence to be struck out and Summary Judgement to be entered in my favour. I also asked, in the event that the court did not give me an extra 7 days to do this, or if they allowed it but later dismissed the Application, for the new draft directions to be made into an order.

So I'm now £100 lighter:(

It might work, might not - we shall see.

Anyway, I've drafted the Application Notice, which is currently looking like this (Form N244):

PART A

I xxxxx intend to apply for an order that

1. the defence be struck out pursuant to Rules 3.4(2)(a) and (b) of the CPR and Summary Judgement (and an order for costs) be granted under Part 24 of the CPR, in favour of the claimant, as sought in the particulars of claim.

because

1. the defence discloses no reasonable grounds for defending the claim

2. the defence amounts to an abuse of the process of the court

3. the claimant believes that the defendant has no real prospect of successfully defending the claim

4. the claimant knows of no other reason why the disposal of the claim should await trial.

PART B

I wish to rely on evidence in Part C in support of my application.

PART C

I wish to rely on the following evidence in support of this application:

1. the defence is contradictory and vague, and discloses no reasonable grounds for defending the claim

a. At paragraph 1 of the defence it is immediately apparent that the defendant has not identified which terms and conditions ["contract"], business or personal, govern the operation of the claimant's bank account.

b. the defendant's submissions at Paragraphs 2 and 4 of the defence would require the defendant to have identified the contract. These paragraphs of the defence make reference to the defendant's (alleged) contractual rights - a contract that the defendant has not identified.

c. the claimant contends that the defence was pled without knowledge of the contract, or the claimant's account and therefore without proper regard for the transactions in dispute and the services the defendant alleges it has rendered under contract; services which (allegedly) form the very basis of the defence.

2. The defence was pled without context to the claim and therefore amounts to an abuse of the process of the court:-

a. The defence is not relevant to the claim; the defendant has invented and denied allegations that do not exist in the claim.

b. the claimant did not make any allegation in respect of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (UTCCRs) in her particulars of claim.

c. at Paragraph 3 of the defence the defendant denies that its charges are unfair contract terms for the purposes of the UTCCRs.

d. At Paragraph 4 of the defence the defendant denies that the UTCCRs are applicable to its charges and, in the alternative, that its charges are unfair contrary to the UTCCRs.

e. the claimant contends that the defence was prepared in the manner of a bulk response to various unrelated and irrelevant court proceedings brought against the defendant by other claimants and is not relevant to these proceedings.

Statement of Truth...

comments and suggestions welcome before I finalise this:)

Hi All:

The below text came from this thread: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/rbs-bos-successes/49470-contractual-interest-details-case.html

PART 2- INDICATION OF CLAIMANT’S SPECIFIC REASONING, ARGUMENTS, ETC

No contract ever existed between the parties hereto

21. No admissions are made by the Claimant as to the incorporation of any term in any contract between the parties hereto purporting to entitle the Defendant to levy the Charges. If the Defendant intends to rely upon such a term whatsoever as part of any defence it seeks to advance, then the Claimant calls upon it to show that such a contract and term did in fact exist.

Think I saw in this thread that you refer to a contract post 33?

2. The claimant admits to breaches of the terms of the contract that require the claimant to stay within any agreed overdraft limit.

I may be confused here but, do the T & C costitute a contract? and could the term contract be a form of agreement to the T & C and subsequent charges made by the Bnaks?

Donate to keep this site open

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

Hi Nevos. The earlier reference was to Justwon's amazing claim, where they seemed to manage to claim that there was no contract in the form of a signed document, but that a form of contract could be implied from the T&C's, thus still allowing contractual interest to be claimed !!

I would love to see some senior mods show us how to apply this to our own claims, but perhaps it requires a few other claims to go through on a "suck it and see" basis, first. Until then, I believe that our claims are based on there being a contract actually in existence, as opposed to being just implied by the T&C's.

I am in favour of applying for a true copy of the original contract (under the Consumer Credit Act) prior to making a claim. If it can be produced, then fair enough - but if it can't, then that must be in our favour. It only cost £1 to request, too !!

Hi Bill: The contract part always worries me a bit as if one has signed so to speak then one is a bit bound by it as in effect we have agreed to the Terms therein. I guess that justwon by rejecting the contract had in effect dismissed a magor part of the defence, though I doubt that the Banks function as it is could in fact enforce it. :-)

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

Sorry for the hi-jack chit-chat, Bong. I forgot where I was, and left my manners elsewhere !!

I think that's where we're in a win-win situation, Nevos. If there IS a contract, then we claim our right under it to contractual interest. If there ISN'T a contract, then we still claim it on the strength of the T&C's, and the fact that the bank had been taking theirs !!

Hi Bill and Bong: Sorry it was my fault! I had posted into the wrong thread, had used some information from Bong's but had so many windows open I confused myself, this is not difficult to do by the way for me.:)

Make Cash Flow Forecast

Bong, I have just found your post. I am going down the same path as yourself so I will be watching this thread with great care. All I can do is wish you the very best. May 2007 be a prosperous year to you and all in this forum.

I submitted an application to have the defence struck out today. I don't have experience of these things and have no idea if it will be accepted or not but lets see what happens. I have an idea I may have missed the boat on this if the AQ has already been sent up to the judge.

Part A

I xxx

intend to apply for an order (a draft of which is attached) that

1. the defence be struck out pursuant to CPR 3.4(2)(a) and (b).

2. Summary judgement including an order for costs be granted in favour of the claimant as sought in the Particulars of Claim, under CPR part 24.

because

1. the defence discloses no reasonable grounds for defending the claim.

2. the defence is likely to obstruct the just disposal of the proceedings

3. on the evidence, the claimant believes that the defendant has no real prospect of successfully defending the claim

4. the claimant knows of no other reason why the disposal of the claim should await trial.

Part B

I wish to rely on evidence in Part C in support of my application.

Part C

The defence discloses no reasonable grounds for defending the claim. The defendant has not identified the terms and conditions ("contract") that govern the operation of the claimant's account. In order to satisfy the requirement of reasonableness the defendant would need to have identified the contract and given full consideration to the claimant's account records, particularly since the primary basis of the defence is that charges applied to the claimant's account were (allegedly) made in respect of contractually agreed services (which is denied). The defence was pled in some vague and contradictory manner, without knowledge of the contract or the claimant's account and therefore without proper regard for the transactions in dispute.

Further, the defence is not relevant to the claim because the defendant makes denials of non-existent allegations. The claimant did not make any allegation in her particulars of claim in respect of The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 ("UTCCR"). However, the defendant denies that its charges are unfair contract terms for the purposes of the UTCCR, denies that the UTCCR are applicable to its charges and denies, in the alternative, that its charges are unfair contrary to the UTCCR.

*The defendant has had many cases concerning its default charges raised against it by consumers who have been made aware that the charges are unlawful by the publication of the report of the Office of Fair Trading in 2006 and the subsequent media coverage of consumers who have successfully obtained out of court settlements/refunds of their unlawful bank charges. These cases are usually settled for the full amount just before the court trial date, which ensures that the defendant is not required to justify its charging regime but does result in a lot of wasted court time, considering these matters could easily be settled when the claims are initially issued or even before that stage.

It is against this background and the inclusion in the defence of irrelevant information, that the claimant avers that the defence was prepared in the manner of a bulk response to various unrelated and irrelevant court proceedings issued against the defendant by other claimants, and is not relevant to her claim.

Accordingly, this court should seek to give effect to its overriding objective and strike out the defence at this early stage so that no more valuable court resources are wasted in dealing with a claim where the defence; has no real prospect of success; discloses no reasonable grounds for defending the claim; is likely to obstruct the just disposal of the proceedings, and where the defendant will almost certainly settle for the full amount anyway.

In view of the above averments the defence should be struck out and summary judgement granted, with an order for costs, in favour of the claimant as sought.

*The claimant is aware of 67 other claims that have been issued and settled in full out of court by the defendant. A list of these claims is attached on two pages, marked exhibit A.

The defendant's attention is drawn to CPR 24.5(1) which states as follows: If a respondent to an application for summary judgement wishes to rely on evidence at the hearing, he must (a) file the written evidence and (b) serve copies on every other party to the application.

Statement of Truth etc.

Good Luck Bong! Looks great to me! :D

links to my current claims ...

My claim - Yorkshire Bank Visa

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Chezt v RBS Joint Account

chezt v Abbey Credit Card

Settled ...

chezt V Duet Card/Creation Finance

chezt v's Studio Cards

chezt v's Littlewoods Catalogue

Next ...

Abbey Joint a/c & Single a/c

Barclaycard (Mine & Hubby's)

Anyone else I can think of ...! :rolleyes:

Nice work Bong. Can't wait to see what result comes of it - well, well worth a try anyway. Looks like we could be starting to turn the screw now, what with the recent order made by the judge in Lincoln.

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

thanks chez. I've just been reading about an order that was given by a judge in Lincoln for Lloyds to provide details of all cases that they have settled before trial and all cases that have proceeded to trial, otherwise the defence will be struck out because it is an abuse of process. It does give me hope but knowing my luck I'll get a boring old f*rt of a judge who will tear mine up. Hope not though:D

cheers Gary. yes lets hope this judge in Lincoln isn't gonna keep it to himself and that they've all clubbed together to find a way out of this stupid situation.

For anyone viewing and curious, heres the link to the Lincoln court direction.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/post-467620.html

OUT OF COURTESY TO AVOID HI-JACKING BONG'S THREAD, DON'T POST ANY COMMENTS ABOUT THIS HERE, POST THEM ON THE RELEVENT THREAD, UNLESS THE COMMENT IS PERTINENT TO BONGS CASE.

Hi Bong, still watching your case with interest, hope all is well. PM

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !