style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4585 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All. I have decided that BR is the best option for me. Does anyone have any advice/experience regarding gaining a bank account whilst bankrupt?I have reseached on the web and found that only CO-OP and Barclays offer these accounts however my problem is that I have debts with both these banks that will be included in my BR order.I would be grateful for any advice.Thanks Honeypot

i'm not 100% certain but if you open any other account prior to your BR, it will be included in your BR.

I think you need to wait till at least the day BR is declared before opening a new account.

If i'm wrong i apologise, but that is my understanding. I'm certain you will be put right by someone with greater knowledge.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

I think the OR will want to know about every account you have, as i said, i'm not certain. Have a read thru some of the BR cases on here.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Thanks Martin2006I think the OR will want to know about every account I have. I hope because it is a basic bank account then i will be allowed to keep it!Then again I suppose it's up to Santander whether I can keep it or not...

Ok the situation is this,

Co-op and Barclys are the only banks that regularly offer accounts to bankrupts

Natwest are a bit hit and miss but worth a try

Santander generally do not

Co-op- do not offer accounts if they have a debt in the bankruptcy

Barclays will give you an account even if you have a debt of theirs in the bankruptcy, and is probably the one to go for

but dont open it until the day after bankruptcy as banks have a right of set off on the day of bankuptcy which could mean they could take the money in it on that day towards their debt

hope that helps

Sorry if I misled you, I am not Bankrupt, I am however regularly involved in the procedure in Scotland. To answer the point made.

1) Basic account in advance of application.

2) Declare it on the Bankruptcy application form including the balance, which in Scotland should always be under £1000.00.

As there can be no borrowing on a basic account and assuming that there is no debt to that particular bank on other accounts, I have never come accross a problem with Sanatander.