Penalty fare

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4595 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The problem is that the rail companies are privately owned & dont want to pay for errors made by of the public.

It may seem unfair that if someone makes an honest mistake by forgetting their railcard & has to pay a charge even though they show the card later, someone has to pay for the system to check that there really was a railcard.

The DVLA has the same attitude when people dont show their tax disc, pay a fine or go to court, even if you have a valid tax disc.

Actually, on reflection, I'm not sure this point is valid. Just because they rail companies don't want to pay for errors made by the public does not entitle them to ignore the policy. The DVLA is not the same case because - as far as I know - there is not the same policy in place that they are ignoring (if that makes sense). I'm going to back off now - I've taken up enough of your time, and I need to move on! Thank you all for taking the time to reply to all my posts - it has helped clarify my thinking on the matter.

Thank you everyone for your responses which I have read in great detail.

As you know, someone suggested to me, as posted by me above, that I raised the fact about the incorrectly charged amount. From reading your replies it doesn't appear this would get my anywhere. I'm guessing this is a lot different from PCNs which councils issue as some years ago I had a PCN cancelled simply because the fine was made invalid due to there being incorrect information printed on the document itself.

I'm guessing a similar law does not apply to these types of tickets?

What do you all think of point 7 in the following article (I have to describe the URL as I can't post links until I have 10 or more posts - hope everyone is OK with me doing it this way):

Address is thisislondon (with a .uk domain) and article number is 23731140

Hi honeybee

Thanks for offering to post the URL - I have sent this in a private message.

I need to appeal this fine quickly. However, I would like clarity on the following, if anyone knows, please:

If I appeal the fine without mention of it possibly being invalid and they come back and insist the fine remains, do I then have an opportunity to raise the issue of the fine possibly being invalid or must all of my argument be included in the same single appeal?

Yes, SRPO is right, there were copyright issues when this was first posted, which remain as far as I am aware, but more importantly, I would be very careful in how you interpret what is written.

This is particularly important where the article may be read to suggest that a traveller cannot be prosecuted for fare evasion where they fail, or refuse to pay a penalty fare.

That is not the case as many thousands of travellers have discovered to their cost.