Tax credits Benifits Questions

ShinySheen
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4611 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

Me & my partner of 3 years have just moved in to my place I am currently unemployed but claim no benefits i do not wish to claim any benefits .the house is owned by me my partner works 29.5 hours a week and claims family tax as she has a 10 yr old girl she is type1 diabetic and she is also receiving DLA benefit for her child.

My questions are

(1) Will she still be able to claim any tax credits? Or do we need to claim as a couple, and does one of us have to work a certain amount of hrs to claim as a couple.

(2) Will her moving in with me and me not claiming any benefits affect her claim

(3) Will it be questioned why I don’t work or claim any benefits.

(4) How long do we have to notify them of any changes in circumstances

so do we need to work a total of 30 hours per week IE theoretically I would need to work 1 hour …sorry to sound thick but I have had NO experience with dole or dhss of any kind in the past I have always worked cash in hand (self employed) I would rather not have anything to do with benefits to be honest

She has up to one month to inform them that she has begun to live with a partner. She will no longer be able to claim on her own and the claim must be joint.

She will get child tax credit and, if her income is low she may also get working tax credit as she is working over 16 hours. She will not get the 30 hour element because she has to be working more than 30 hours a week to get this. She will not receive the childcare element (to put her child in child care) unless both of you are working at least 16 hours per week unless you are ill/ disabled and claiming the associated benefit for that, are in hospital or are in prison.

Depending on the level of DLA that her child gets, she will also get the child disability or severe disability element.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Thank You Erika

Understand your answers ….just to clarify I must either be claiming jobseekers allowance or declare some work so my partner isn’t worse off so to speak ....in other words i cannot be invisible anymore

Thank You Erika

Understand your answers ….just to clarify I must either be claiming jobseekers allowance or declare some work so my partner isn’t worse off so to speak ....in other words i cannot be invisible anymore

You don't need to be claiming job-seekers allowance for your partner to claim tax credits. To claim job-seekers allowance you need to be actively seeking work i.e "job seeking". Your partner will however need to give your details to HMRC for tax credits purposes (name, national insurance number, employment status).

That would be fine

I don’t have any probs them knowing who I am but as previously said I would rather not have anything to do with the benefits system ….but that being said I wouldn’t want my partner to be worse off because we are living together

Thank you for the help received so far

I believe it will have to be a joint tax credits claim; don't believe there is any other way. You will also be jointly responsible for ensuring that they have the correct income information.

You mentioned in your previous post that you are self-employed; they may also ask for your UTR.

What he said ^^

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

Woopsie! I'm bad for getting genders wrong on the boards.