I think Tax Credits suspect me of Fraud...please help..!

Jbabes89
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4626 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Backofbeyond,

I have no idea why this would have happened, which element has increased? Is it the working tax or child tax, perhaps you have been underpaid in one area hence the extra payments but they have not yet done anything with the over payment for childcare? I don't think anybody, even the people that work there understand how these figures are produced. The whole system seems silly to me.

Did you make any false declarations, i.e. sign a false renewal? With mine I had not yet renewed and when I came to and saw the incorrect details I phoned straight away so for that reason i don't think it's viewed as fraud because I didn't falsely declare anything.

Hope everything works out ok for you! I still haven't received the call as promised regarding the steep deduction for our tax credits as it's causing us financial hardship. Not gonna hold my breath to be honest :(

My renewal was 100% correct but it's a very simple form and only asks for earnings etc (nothing to do with childcare).

I stopped my claim for childcare in nov 10 and had a slight overpayment at that point which was taken from amended payments.

At present I am only getting child tax credits (until their system updates with my new work details) and on my online banking it says child tax credits. I haven't received my new award as yet so suppose things may be clearer when I receive that?!

I don't know what to suggest other than to wait for the award notice and hope it makes sense, I can never make sense of them myself! In the meantime I wouldn't stress, as long as you've given the correct details then if these extra payments are being made in error it's their fault not yours and they can't ask you to repay.

Well my situation has just got even more bizarre.

Received a letter from HMRC this morning (dated 25/08/11) from the compliance team. It is very, very brief and just says:-

" RE: Your tax credits for 2010-2011. I have made a decision that I do not accept your childcare costs. I have adjusted your claim as a result. You will soon receive an award notice detailing your tax credits for 2010/2011. If you have an advisor acting on your behalf please show them this letter."

Firstly I am very pleased as this letter obviously signifies that they are not taking the matter any further but it has confused me even more!!!!!

My husband called them on Tuesday to notify them that I had started work and to give them my work details. Yesterday I called them as we received an extra payment in our account and was advised that it was due to my renewal being completed and that my weekly amount was approx £8 per week more than before.

My question is - the renewal has obviously been completed after the "review" so how on earth am I ending up with more money?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I know I did pay an overpayment back earlier on this year (between Jan-April) but I am sure that was only around £1000.

I was honest on my renewal and I was brutally honest in my letter to the compliance team that I had falsely claimed childcare between April-Nov 2010.

Does anyone have any thoughts?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?