Ending a Tenancy - Advice welcomed!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4647 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone would be able to give me some advice about ending my tenancy. I'm currently on a rolling contract, month-to-month with Isaac Anthony. I've been phoning them to give them the required 30 days notice and never get past the receptionist who takes my details and contact number every single time and yet no-one ever phones back.

So today I've sent them an e-mail stating that it is my 30 days notice and the date I intend to leave the flat and have requested that they contact me to arrange someone to come round to inspect the property before the date I leave. I've kept a copy for myself and intend to also send the same thing through the post with recorded delivery.

Have I done everything I need to do from my end? Also, do they have a right to refuse this notice? I've been having problems with IA for ages. They NEVER phone back and I don't want to purely rely on them to get the ball rolling as we've already found another flat and don't want to lose it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

No, you have not done everything.

Notice needs to be in writing, and unless your contract specifies that email is acceptable (most rare) then your notice will not be considered served.

Lets also check that your leaving date is correct - you can only leave on the last day of a tenancy period, which if you pay monthly will be the same day of the month as your fixed term expired. You need to give a months notice (which could be more or less than 30 days*) and if you don't leave at the end of a tenancy period, then you are liable for rent until the end of one!

* Notice periods in Statutory Periodic Tenancies are set by statute, not contract.