Sainsbury's Charity Collectors...

42man
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4665 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Firstly I understand charity collectors have a job to do and on occasions I do give to charity when I can afford to....however what I find infuriating is the stupid, sarcastic remarks they say when you politely tell them that you do not want to make a contribution...this is the second time I have complained to Sainsbury's, the first time I was approached 'in-store' by a guy who told me he wasn't trying to 'sell' me anything, and then asked me to step aside to a small table....needless to say I told him that I didn't have time and didn't want to make a donation at the moment....to which he replied 'thank you' in a sarcastic tone....today I go in and again I politely said 'not today thank you' and she said 'wonderful' and continued to 'shake' her bucket (which I understand from a recent story can be construed as harrassment).....This was the response aftter my first complaint

Thanks for your email. I’m sorry that the charity collectors in our store are rude and make you uncomfortable. I understand your disappointment as you expect to be able to do your shopping in peace.

We want all of our customers to have a pleasant shopping experience with us so I’ve contacted the store and spoken with XXXXXX the Duty Manager, to get more information.

I’ve been advised that the charities apply to use the store for a couple of days and that this isn’t a permanent or regular situation. He apologises for any inconvenience and will investigate this further to try and ensure that this doesn’t happen in future.

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us and hope to see you in store again soon.

I'm afraid now that I won't be going to this particular Sainsbury's any longer...

What surprises me these days is the persistence. It ruins the good name some of them have fought to build up. Also, I would imagine most people who WANT to contribute to charity already do so by direct debit to get Gift Aid - surprised there are still so many collectors kicking about.

• Haha 1

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

The hard sell really annoys me actually. Reminds me of a phone call I got about 6 months ago from the British Heart Foundation (or at least, someone on their behalf). I had a full sob story for about ten minutes, and then proceeded to be asked "so, how much would you like to donate each month?". Of course, you feel hard by just saying dont want to, so explained that just didnt have any spare cash at the time. She then proceeded to try and persuade me for about ten minutes, reducing the amount each time. In fact, she was so persistent that when the call dropped (it really did genuinely drop, I didnt hang up!) she rang back - twice! I didnt answer the first time! Seems to me a better approach would be to just ask, and let that be an end to it. I cant be the only person who is put off more and more by the hard sell. They have the chance that by just asking, of letting me think about it for a little while and deciding that yes actually, I'd like to do that.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I agree if feels like mugging coming from the till when you have no money left having to explain why you cannot afford to help.

I also dont like the clip boarders that go door to door on behalf of charities, I know part of any contribution would go as wage to that person as not doing it for nowt.................and i object to that. They get sarcy too......

I normally like to add the odd contribution via pay pal but only when like recently paypal is saying whole cost of contribution will go to charity, not like the minus 5% as normal to company. The charity was to do with the famine.