washer dryer not working, who do I compain to

makiz63
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4701 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My washer dryer from Hotpoint is about 2 years old. I have extended warranty with a company called Domestic & General. The machine initially had a breakdown just after 12 months and this is when I purchased the extended cover

In May this year the machine wasnt drying and I called Hotpoint who sent the engineer out and the problem was fixed.

In July the washing machine stopped working it would not switch on at all and when this happened it tripped my electricity most of my stuff in the fridge went bad as I was not at home at the time.

To cut the story short this month of July the Hotpoint engineers have been to my house 3 times and still the same issue the machine doesnt dry. I havent had the washing machine working for almost 4 weeks now.

I bought this washing machine online from Sainsbury's. The extended warranty company have been saying they will get back to me if they will be able to assist on my claim for the past 4 days. Hotpoint mentioned they will not be able to do anthing because this is no longer under warranty I have to contact the company covering me for extended warranty

I really dont know who I should compain to, I think the machine is not fit for purpose and would like this to be replaced. Do I contact Sainbury's, Hotpoint or Domestic and General ( extended warranty company)

You know I thought they had stopped making these machines, obviously not :lol:

Quote the sales of goods act that you have a right to expect it to last longer than 24 months and see what they say. Insist politely you want it repaired or replaced for free whatever is the cheaper for them. Record call if you ring for record. Or write in in which case you would be addressing it to sainsburys.

You can show it has been problematic since only 12 months old and has never really been funtioning for long without failing since xx

Edited by watchinginvestigation2011

Yes, good advice - also I believe one of the terms and conditions of Domestic and General Insurance is that if they cannot repair the machine within a reasonable period of time they will replace.

Had exactly the same problem with a much older Hotpoint (even their own engineers (well sub contractors) tell you they are unreliable), I really went to town on their call centre staff and on the second visit by an engineer, he had to admit that he couldn't repair it due to it having had super glue applied to the condenser! - I had also written to Domestic and General. Upshot was I had to pay remaining months on the policy which I still think was a cheek but got to choose a new washing machine (I decided against another washer dryer) rather have a separate condensing dryer and got a replacement of the latest Hotpoint Ultima (upgrade to the same value as the washer dryer) which is great. Needless to say I have not renewed the policy with Domestic and General, exactly like your problem the machine had tripped the electric supply but fortunately I was here. You have absolutely no control over the quality of the workmen they send out. Go get 'em!

That is a nice little racket, to charge a consumer for the repair or replacement that section 48A of the Sale of Goods Act already entitles to request, free of charge!

Please peruse a previous thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?2639-Comments-on-Extended-Warranties

It is a strict liability criminal offence, by the way, for a trader to present rights given to consumers in law as a distinctive feature of the trader’s offer.

[CPUTR, Schedule 1, 10.]