Debt collector and insurance company

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4692 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey all,

Here's the story. Bought a years motorbike insurance from a large high street insurance company. Rode for around 1 to 2 months. Cancelled insurance - guy on the phone told me I would receive an approx £33 refund due to what i'd paid against the amount of time I'd been insured. He told me that this was after they had taken the £30 cancellation charge and I would receive it upon returning my insurance certificate.

Had a couple of letters from them a few weeks after demanding £33 to be paid TO them. Upon ringing and asking why, they said it was in my terms and conditions but would say little more about it. I'm not prepared to pay something I shouldn't have to and that means I will have paid around £60 for two months insurance - the premium was £112 for a year. I told him I wouldn't pay when I didn't see what is is for and all the guy would do was put a note on my account saying I had refused to pay.

Now had this letter from the debt collectors and have already missed their deadline due to being away. What do I do from here?

Thanks!

cars.png

Hi there

As this was all done on the phone, I think you ought to get something in writing.

Write to the insurance people and ask them for a detailed breakdown of how this 33 is arrived at including detail of the rebate you would have received on cancelling the policy. Also ask them to send you a copy of the T&Cs. Tell them that you won't be paying until you are satisfied the calculations are correct.

Drop a line to the Debt Collectors saying that you do not acknowledge any debt to their company and that you will not entertain any visit to your home and should such an attempt be made you will be reporting them to the OFT and Trading Standards. Never speak to DCAs on the phone.

Then deal only with the insurance company and in writing only.

They will not take you to court for £33 or would be silly if they tried it on without justifying the figures to you following your request. At least when you have the information you can make a judgement as to whether it is correct and should be paid or not.

I know we are not talking big bucks but there is a matter of principle and as you said, you don't want to pay something thats not due.

ims

Thank you for both your replies. I'm definately going to get some stuff in writing, that's definately important! What is an SAR? Information request isn't it?

Hi

Don't worry about a SAR....not necessary and it will cost. You will get what you need by simple letter.

ims

yes. should give you all the information that they have on you. normally i would recommend a CCA request as well, but doesn't apply to insurance, only credit agreements. Ims21 is probably better with insurance stuff than me, I am more CCA based and consumer debt, but am here to help if possible:-D

actually i'd ignore them

there little a dca can do bar wave their arms around.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 4 weeks later...

I sent the insurance company a letter stating why I did not think the amount was due, reminded them they had not sent me T&Cs and requested they do so, asked for a detailed breakdown of how the balance was calculated. Received a letter back telling me they would be considering my complaint.

Couple of weeks afterwards they sent me a letter confirming the advisor did state I would receive a refund and that they had given me incorrect information. As I was quoted this by the advisor, they have removed the outstanding balance and honoured the refund I was originally due. They also supplied a detailed breakdown and the T&Cs. They also gave me £25 as a good will gesture.

Good result! :D