ESA... how do I change from Contribution to income based?

no1mum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4713 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I was put on ESA after leaving work in March 2010. Because I had a partner at the time who was working I was put onto contribution based ESA. We have long since split up & I informed them of this immediately. When he left he took half the furniture, including the fridge & the washing machine, & left me with about £3000 of debt to pay off in bills, etc.

I have tried to get a budgeting loan or a community care grant but have been told I am not eligible as I'm not on a means tested benefit. They said I cannot change onto income based, despite having been on ESA for more than a year.

I have a 5 year old son & I need to get a replacement fridge & washer, but have no other source of income to turn to.

Are there any other sources of funding I could try or can I get my benefit switched onto means tested? It seems ridiculous that because I worked long enough to qualify for contribution based I am now penalised by not being eligible for other funding.

Thanks for any help you can offer me!

Is there nothing I can do? I've been on benefits for more than a year & clearly have no other income. Will it continue as Cont based indefinitely or will it change at some point? I just don't understand how it makes me ineligible for any other help when I am still on the same pitiful rate as income based! I've worked continuously since leaving uni in 2000 & now I need help I'm not getting any!

Does CB change to IB after a certain amount of time? Or is it forever?