DVLA : Can i tow a Caravan

chief2603
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4740 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just wondering if i could get some help i've been told over the phone by the dvla that i can tow up to 3500kg combined, car and caravan, but on the dvla website it looks like it says different, i've had my license now for 5 years and i currently drive a zafira 2.0 diesel.Any help would be much apprieciated.

My zafira weight is 2095 and it can tow 1095kg.

4 Driving licences issued on or after 1 January 1997

If you passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 you must pass an extra driving test to get entitlement to drive category B+E and all larger vehicles (If you hold subcategories C1, C1+E, D1 and D1+E you have to meet the higher medical standards for drivers of larger vehicles).

Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

For example:

• a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle

Whereas

• the same vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes when coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.5 tonnes would fall within category B+E. This is because although the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is within the 3.5 tonnes MAM limit, the MAM of the trailer is more than the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle
  • Vehicle manufacturers normally recommend a maximum weight of trailer appropriate to their vehicle. Details can usually be found in the vehicle's handbook or obtained from car dealerships. The size of the trailer recommended for an average family car with an unladen weight of around 1 tonne would be well within the new category B threshold.

Am still confused on this one , my car weights 2075 and the car can tow 3170 combined,so i could tow a caravan 1095kg and that would be under 3.5 tonne and within the capabilities of the car.

I passed my test 5 and half years ago and on the back of my licence it says i have catorgories b, b1, fkp so can i tow a caravan within the capabilities of the car or do i have to pass some other test to allow me to tow a caravan.

Edited by chief2603
wanted to add something

Provided the MAM of the caravan does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM, then you can tow on a group B licence. In your case as long as the caravan MAM is not more than 1425kg.

What does mam stand for?

Maximum authorised mass (MAM) of vehicles and trailers. This should be taken to mean the permissible maximum weight, also known as the gross vehicle weight.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late on this post but. Your zafira may have a max weight or 2000kg but the unladen weight which is

the important one for you in around 1400kg.

You cannot tow anything greater than the UNLADEN kerbweight of any car you get without taking an extra towing test.

The issue with the Zafira is some of them have a low towing limit, 1050kg for your model.

You cannot tow a caravan of trailer with a MAX laden weight of more than that.

Doesnt matter if you load it lightly.. Its the max gross loaded weight that counts.

Plated at gross of 1051kg = illegal for you. Even if it only weight 900kg unladen.

Also you need to watch the gross train weight. The towing limit maybe reduced if you have the car loaded.

My gross train weight is 340kg less than the max tow weight and maximum laden car weight added together. So the more i put in the car the lighter the trailer has to be.