Time to inform of Deposit deductions passed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4794 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

please direct me to a previous thread if this has been asked before (I've searched to no avail).

Hope you can help us.

We vacated our house on the 16th of March, and the contract states that we have to be notified within 10 working days if they propose any deductions.

Today it has been 11 working days.

If tomorrow they propose deductions, can we tell them it is too late via the contract and that we are entitled to the entire deposit?

Thanks a lot,

Bart

Simple answer is no, not really.

The deductions are likely to be enforceable after this point.

However, only a court could decide.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

• 3 weeks later...

This is the 'sticky' thread about what deductions the landlord can lawfully make from the deposit:-

- Unfair deposit deductions

My advice is applicable only if the rented premises are entirely within England and Wales, and only if you were granted a shorthold tenancy (under which you [and your spouse/partner/children if any] had exclusive use of at least a bedroom, a kitchen and a bathroom, none of which were shared with another tenant nor with the landlord) and you were over 18 years of age when the tenancy was granted.