• Tweets

• I have posted the letter off today - sent recorded delivery, so should get to the Police early next week. I also walked along the street where this happened and checked if there were any CCTV cameras or video door bells in that section of the road, but could only find one. I talked to the owners of the house with the camera but they say it is set to only cover the area leading up to the house and not really the pavement or road and footage also auto deletes after 72 hours, so anything captured would be gone now. That was disappointing. I walked along the road a bit more, but couldn't see any other video door bells or CCTV, so that didn't help.  I always thought most people have at least a video door bell these days but not in that road... 😐 So came home a bit disappointed.  If anything else happens I will post an update here, but may not be for a week or so. Not sure how long this will take now.
    • Hi all.   I've just cancelled my Virgin Media because my Wife and I are going abroad for 12 months or so. My Son will be staying in our home, and wishes to start a contract with them. He signed up to a great deal for New Customers online, and a Contract Agreement was signed online. He had a delivery date for a Self Installation Kit but it never arrived. After speaking to numerous Virgin Media Staff online, they are insisting that he calls their Pre Installation Team (I presume that is their sales Team to try and get more money). He doesn't want to speak to them over the phone. He doesn't mind doing a Live Chat, but he hasn't got an Account Number yet, so that's impossible. He even had a chat with a Team Member on Whatsapp, who say they don't have access to the information they need, so he has no option but to call them. Why can't they just be straightforward with their Communications? Is there any other option other than calling them?   TIA.
    • Hi All, I'm looking for help with a P2G claim for another lost parcel. Given the wealth of information on this site, I'm hopeful that this should be an easy one to fix, but want to be sure I have everything. On the 6th March, I contracted with P2G to send a parcel (a £600 Pioneer AVH-Z7200DAB car stereo which is not on either P2G or EVRi's excluded from compensation or prohibited items list) using EVRi, sent it off, and that was the last I heard of it. The EVRi tracking showed that the parcel had made it to the national sorting hub at 2:12 on the 7th, and then vanished. By Friday, I had started to get nervous, and so, raised an enquiry. And then another, and another - well, they weren't responding, and I couldn't get their telephone one to work, I think in all, it was more than 15 enquiries. I also raised an investigation with P2G as well. EVRi closed the enquiry confirming a loss on the 19th March, and P2G near the end, although P2G closed it claiming that I needed to send photos of the parcel as proof - which I didn't have, and I also do not have an account with P2G so couldn't upload anything (I did test, just in case), and this is why despite receiving advice on the EVRi Fb group to send the letter before claim, I haven't yet acted. I have proof of the eBay listing, and the refund, to demonstrate that which was being sent, but P2G's insistence that I have no photographic proof of the parcel with the label - I have the photo of the goods in their box before sending, but this is for the eBay listing, and so does not show it after the fact. This I fear is what P2G will seek to rely on as a defence, hence my 10 week delay on progressing with this. But, I am more than £600 out of pocket for the loss: £600 for the item and £8.04 for the delivery fee, although my claim will actually be for an initial £611.09 to cover the cost of the loss, their delivery fee, and my 1st Class Recorded stamp for the Letter Before Claim to P2G, rising to £681.09 to cover the additional £70 cost of opening the court case if they fail to respond within 14 days. This question mark surrounding P2G's request for photographic evidence, is this likely to cause me a problem? Steve
    • Had a letter response today dated 12/6/24 from PRA Group re request for information consumer credit act 1974. Confirming they are in receipt of my CCA letter request - and that they are requesting the required information. They returned the £1 postal order. And my CCA letter. Stating that they will contact me with an update ASAP. They attached/included a standard ( non personal ) page about ' what they should provide ' and ' what happens If I don't get this information'.    I need to file my defence by 21 June 24. Any suggestions as to what that defence should be ?   
    • Thanks @dx100uk for responding promptly.    To be quite honest with you, applying for breathing space might not really help except some short term relief. I don’t want to default either as I might lose my job too and I cannot really afford it. Sorry for sounding bit stupid but is there something I can do to stop them charging interest and agree on reduced payments? Can I use pro-rata payment letters to get out of this situation without too much impact? I am working on information that @BankFodderhas requested and will be sharing it later today.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

A debt sold by barclaycard to Lowell Financial

sabby1978
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4753 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I've recieved advice on here before which was excellent and wanted to get advice about another issue.

Many years ago i had a credit card with Barclays unfortunately i had a breakdown and was unable to pay. Eventually i came to an arrangement and since 2008 have being paying them each month for this debt without missing a payment. I acknowledge that the amount is nominal but when they made the agreement it was based on my financial situation and they had all the relevant information.

My problem is that two weeks ago i recieved a letter from Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd (and several letters since) saying that they have bought the debt from Barclays and demanding that I call them to come to an arrangement to clear the outstaning balance.

I will not call them as i know that this will be an acknowledgment of the debt but I am wondering what I should do and whether Barclays can sell the debt in light of the fact that we had come to arrangement some time ago and that this arrangment has not been broken by myself.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

There probably nearly was but I enetered into an agreement and have been making payments since 2008 to Barclays (although very small this was the agreed amount), I have not missed any so i cant undertand why the debt has been sold or why Lowells has contacted me in light of the fact i have not broken the agreement agreed with Barclays.

Should i cancel the standing order with barclays?

If you are sure there was no clear period of 6 years prior to entering into the payment plan, then the first thing I would do would be to send the 'prove it' letter to lowell to ensure they have the right to collect. Have any of the letters from them that you have received contained notification of this, and have Barclays also written and told you this information?

Is the 'prove it letter' the the CCA letter?

Lowells sent me two letters in the same envelope, one supposedly from barclays saying that they had the sold the debt to Lowells and any contact with regards to the debt should be directed to Lowells, I say supposedly because of the poor quality paper it was printed on and the fact that it was sent in the same envelope as the Lowells letter. The other letter was from Lowells saying i had not cleared the balance or entered into a repayment plan (which is untrue - i have been paying £2.50 a month since 2008 without fail) and prompting me into calling them to set up a repayment plan.

I have had no formal notification from Barclays apart from the letter that Lowells sent me which makes me a little dubious.

I can get the CCA letter out tomorrow but am wondering what i will do next and whether i should cancel the DD with Barclays.

Any help you you could offer would be much appreciated

1. Hi there,

I've received advice on here before which was excellent and wanted to get advice about another issue.

Many years ago i had a credit card with Barclyas unfortunately i had a Breakdown and was unable to pay. Eventually i came to an arrangement with Barclays and since 2008 have being paying them each month for this debt without missing a payment. I acknowledge that the amount is nominal but when they made the agreement it was based on my financial situation and they had all the relevant information.

My problem is that two weeks ago i received a letter from Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd (and several letters since) saying that they have bought the debt from Barclays and demanding that I call them to come to an arrangement to clear the outstanding balance.

Initially Lowell’s sent me two letters in the same envelope, one supposedly from Barclays saying that they had the sold the debt to Lowell’s and any contact with regards to the debt should be directed to them, I say supposedly because of the poor quality paper it was printed on and the fact that it was sent in the same envelope as the Lowell’s letter. The other letter was from Lowell’s saying i had not cleared the balance or entered into a repayment plan (which is untrue - i have been paying £2.50 a month since 2008 without fail) and prompting me into calling them to set up a repayment plan.

I have had no formal notification from Barclays apart from the letter that Lowell’s sent me which makes me a little dubious. I will not call Lowell’s as i know that this will be an acknowledgment of the debt but I am wondering what I should do and whether Barclays can sell the debt in light of the fact that we had come to arrangement some time ago and that this arrangement has not been broken by myself.

I can get the CCA letter out today but am wondering what i will do next and whether i should cancel the DD with Barclays and whether Barclays have the right to sell the debt without first notifying me. I am also wondering what Lowell’s position is with regards to the debt and how I can get them off my back

Any help you could offer would be much appreciated!

leave the DD with Barclays, if they cant be arsed to tell you then Lowells can run and jump

Write back to Lowells and state that until a NOA has been recieved from Barclays you are not dealing with them, see what happens then, save the cca request for later

The OP has already said that he/she has received written notice of the assignment.

To answer your question sabby, yes they can sell the debt at any time.

Personally, I would carry on paying Barclays direct - they will passs the payments on to Lowells - and do not communicate with Lowells, especially do not write to them

EDIT

ps Despite what PGH says, notice of the assignment does not have to come from Barclays - it can come from either party

Edited by nicklea

Thanks for that advice but how do i get the letters from Lowell's to stop as they are beginning to distress me, especially in light of the fact that i do have a repayment plan in place with Barclays

If that is the case then you will need to write to Lowells and start paying them instead

An NOA from Lowells is perfectly acceptable providing that it states the balance correctly. If it doesn't then the assignment is ineffective and Barclaycard still hold the account until the problem is rectified.

If the balance is wrong, continue to pay Barclaycard until such a time a proper notice of assignment is offered. I can help you with a letter to send to both lenders.

If the balance is correct we move on to the following points.

The question arises as to why Barclaycard has sold it? No need to answer that question right now although I suspect I know the reasons why

Ok, couple of questions from me:

1) Are you able to scan documents? If so, can you please scan everything you have received from Lowell (with your personal details covered up)?

2) Can you recall the exact date the initial agreement might have been signed?

3) Have you ever received a default notice?

You're welcome.

Remember that they will ask you for more every so often. Stay strong and send a statement of affairs showing thats all you can afford if you want as I find that helps

B

Hi there

Please NEVER send a statement of affairs to a DCA -- only a Court can demand this.

If Lowells-- Low life's that they are - want to up your payments just tell them to Foxtrot Oscar -- you have an agreement in place which you are carrying on with and if THEY don't like it --Tough --THEY can attempt to get more at Court.

They won't usually do this as even their pea sized brains realize that a Court is far more likely to REDUCE payments -- in some cases to as little as a nominal 1GBP a month.

In all these situations TAKE CONTROL -- don't be ruled by these low lifes who'se only purpose in life is to squeeze as much money out of you as possible making your life as miserable as possible in the process.

I think nearly everybody on these Forums should realize that when debts are SOLD ON the Buyer pays peanuts --10% is often quoted but these days that's way way too much. The real figure is nearer 2 - 5% - especially when the Bank or Original Creditor considers these in Stock Exchange Parlance" as "Non Performing Debts / "assets".

Fortunately I'm almost 100% debt free now but I still have a golden rule --if a Debt has been "Bought" by a third party I NEVER pay the full amount -- usually these scumbags will accept a lower Full and Final settlement.

If they think you know your rights they will move on to more "hapless victims" who unfortunately have never heard og this excellent site.

Lots of people get into debt --often through no fault of their own. It happens --it's not evil or criminal --although the antics of those chasing debts often are.

So good motto for 2011

"Visit the Cag today

and send a DCA on his merry way."!

Cheers

jimbo

Hi there Vjohn82,

I dont have a scanner but the letter first letter was a NOA and was as follows:

Letter 1

Dear Mrs (they used my married name, which i have not used for four years as i am now divorced)

We hereby give notice of the assignment of the debt due from you in respect of the balance of £377.06 outstanding on your Barclaycard account.

On 17/8/2010 your account was sold to Lowell Portfolio1 Ltd.

Any further communications and payments must therefore be addressed to Lowell Portfolio1 Ltd.

Enterprise House

1 Apex View

Leeds

LS11 9BH

Yours sincerely

(a signature that cant be read and no printed name)

For and behalf of Barclays Bank PLC

Letter 2 (in the same envelope)

(almost looks like a credit card statement)

Dear, (again uses my married name)

Introducing Lowell.

We are Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd. Your outstanding account ith Barclaycard was sold to us on the 17/8/2010 and we will now be recovering what you owe. We have set out your details on the right (here it lists my old barclay card account no and the new lowelll's acct no).

Our aim is to help you bring your outstanding account upto date and we have many paymentoptions to suit you. Repaying your debts may help you to obtain credit in the future as it will have an impact on your credit rating.

Settling Up.

You now need to pay us £377.06. The easiest way to pay is to phone us and pay the full outstanding balance by card, or, you'll find some other ways to pay over the page.

If you have a query about your account or you need to talk to us about your current financial situation, please phone.

Lowell Financial Ltd

If we don't hear from you or recieve your payment shortly, we will instruct Lowell Financial Ltd, our recovery speacialists, to contact you about paying.

Yours sincerely

Andrew Bartle.

Chief Operations Manager.

Letter 3

(also like a credit card statement)

We're here to help you get your account up to date.

Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd wrote recently to let you know that they have bought the outstanding balance you have with Barclaycard. You have not yet cleared the outstanding balance or enteredinto a repayment plan, so they have asked us to get in touch.

We can help you clearthis outstanding balance and repaying your debt may improve your credit rating.

What you need to do now

It's very important that you do one of the following things as soon as possible:

1. Pay us in full

2. Contact us to talk about a convenient way for you to pay. Based on your current financial circumstances, we will be able to offer a repayment plan that works for you.

Phone us now to clear yourbalance.

Yours sincerely

Andrew Bartle.

As I have said i have already entered into a repayment plan with Barclays and have been paying since 2008, i also have another debt with Barclays that i have also been paying, I have two separate standing orders for each of the debts that go out on the same day of each month. I am now worried that they are going to start harrassing me about this as well.

Is there a way that i can contact them in writing to let them know i am paying barclay card via a standing order.

Would it be worth sending a SAR request to Barclays?

And a CCA to Lowells?

Please help!

Sorry Vjohn82,

In response to your other questions: I cannot remember the exact date but i remember it was the summer of 2001 i had nearly finished my teacher training.

I probably was issued a default notice but shortly afterwards i had a breakdown and cant remember much in detail, I've also moved around a lot, so i cant be 100% certain of this.

I have been relatively stable for three years now and am begining to sort my life out and dont need this people harrassing me especially in light of the fact ive been repaying. The funny thing is if i hadnt entered into the repayment plan it would be statute barred by now.

Many thanks

Sorry Vjohn82,

In response to your other questions: I cannot remember the exact date but i remember it was the summer of 2001 i had nearly finished my teacher training.

I probably was issued a default notice but shortly afterwards i had a breakdown and cant remember much in detail, I've also moved around a lot, so i cant be 100% certain of this.

I have been relatively stable for three years now and am begining to sort my life out and dont need this people harrassing me especially in light of the fact ive been repaying. The funny thing is if i hadnt entered into the repayment plan it would be statute barred by now.

Many thanks

Similar situation to me then... except I had my breakdown first and applied for teaching training this year haha.

As per my PM, try to keep as much on here as possible because there are some great members on CAG who will have their own opinions on how to progress. The first thing, as I said, is to simply establish why Barclaycard has sold this account and then take it from there. I suspect there is something flawed with their archiving of the original contract (perhaps lost) but it's not unusual for Barclaycard to write off a batch of accounts regardless of whether they are being paid or not.

Is the figure stated on the NOA accurate?

Might as well throw in my opinion. You have been paying this debt for a long time to Barclays and have an excellent repayment level BECAUSE it is set at a sensible level that is both affordable and sustainable.

I would ask Lowells for their bank details so you can transfer the Standing Order into their name and continuing paying as per your long standing arrangement with Barclays.

Just assume they are going to accept it, and leave them to come back to you if they're not happy.