Is it possible to stop Tax Credits?

winnie-the-witch
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4826 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I currently have an overpayment of £2000 to which i pay £20 per month, this is from around 2004.

They recently wrote to me telling me that this amount was outstanding and that if i didn,t pay or contact them they would take further action.

I contacted them in a panic thinking this is more money i have to pay back but not knowing how or why, i was told it was from a previous overpayment which i was under the belief had ceased because the £23 direct debit stoppped being taken from my account.

I spoke to an advisor who told me i still owed £247 and could i pay it immediately. I said no, so he said he would add it onto the other £2000, but could i pay a larger amount, again, i said no.

I,ll get to the point of my query now, I am finding dealing with these people taxing (pardon the pun) and i am getting increasingly worried of more overpayments, as i have enough debts without this going on.

Is it possible to stop tax credits and if so, would i have to pay all the money i got paid over the last year? Would they expect all the money that i already owe them to be paid back as well? and is there a time scale?

Another reason i would like to stop the tax credits is because i have an opportunity to become self employed, and this is going to be enough to get my head around without dealing with these people as well.

Hope this makes sense,

Thanks

Winnie

Tax credit claims are funny things. They are not officially decided until renewal at the end of the tax year. If you fail to renew your claim, they may make you repay the whole of the previous year's award, because an award is not finalised until the renewal is done. So yes, you can withdraw your claim, but you will remain liable for any overpayments and they can request you pay the amount in full if you are no longer in receipt of an award whereby they reduce it to recoup the overpayment, and you may have to repay what you have received so far. Best way to end it is to tell them at renewal that you do not wish to continue the claim into the next tax year.

I'd urge you to really consider whether ending your claim is the answer. The easiest way to avoid tax credit overpayments is to inform them of changes on the day that they occur, rather than waiting until renewal, and to ensure that any wrong information on the award notices they send you in relation to what they say your circumstances and income are, are notified to them within one month of the date of the award notice. Everyone I've had with tax credit overpayments have found that since doing this, no further recoverable overpayments are created; they can still overpay if they fail to implement the change but they cannot recover.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)