Letting agent wants me to pay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4845 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guys,

I am having lots of problem with this agent. I have only moved in the property three weeks ago. Last week i reported that i am having problem with water heating. It is not heating at the right time plus sometimes the water is not heated at all. there is a boost button which i have to press to get it to heat for me. I reported that to the agent and the agents reply is that if the problem is with the Thermostat/boiler settings not correct then i will have to pay the bill.

I was never provided with any manuals for any appliance so how can he expect me to set them right.

Kindly advise.

If I read this correctly, agent is saying if thermostat or boiler timer are not set correctly then they will not pay for gas safe engineer to 'twiddle a knob'

Quite right. I think this would be covered by the Lord Denning ruling maling tenants resp for minor repairs, eg unblocking sink, replacing a tap washer, lighting a pilot light, replacing a light bulb or smoke alarm battery.

That is not to say an inexperienced tenant should attempt the repair themselves but should be prepared to pay a tradesman as per any householder.

First stop would be to try & find instruction manual on internet and check how to set user accessible boiler controls.

Gas c/h should be inspected by Gas Safe engineer in case the fault is not 'simple'. The agent should send their own approved gch plumber, the financial risk to tenant around call out fee & min labour charge which could be determined in advance.

Worth the OP getting a fault report at the end of any repair visit.

I have tried that already but it hasnt worked. Without manuals i cant set it to what it should be. I have asked the agent to provide me a manual if he has one. The only thing i am worried about is that i try to fiddle around with it and the Engineers report says that fault occured after somebody set it wrong then i will be liable for the bill. I am going to search it on the internet for the model number and see if i can find the manual. I had so much trouble with this agent that i dont want this to become my issue and i end up paying for it.

While you are having problems, check the documents you were given when you moved in, and ask the Agent for a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate. One should have been issued within the last 12 months, and if not must be done immediately to ensure the boiler and gas supply are safe. The landlord could land himself in trouble if this isn't done.

If they have to send out a gas man to to the safety check, you could ask how it works and about the settings while he is there.