What to do with npower

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4866 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The problems started almost from the beginning of my account with npower; I had moved house at the end of April 2007 and they were the electricity supplier, there was no gas in the property.

The first bill arrived in July as an estimated account and it was considerably more than the actual usage, so I phoned in the actual readings, and continued to try the phone line but was cut off each time so I wrote in with the reading, by the 24th July I had a letter threatening court action if I didn’t pay up, by the 30th July I received the corrected account, a third of the original. That set the tone for the next 5 months with incorrect accounts, a letter threatening a bailiffs call if I didn’t pay up ( the bill had been paid weeks before) and my letters and phone calls totally ignored.

By mid January I had had enough and decided the only thing to do was to change suppliers, that took from the 14 .01 .08 to 11.01.10, by the 08.02.08 my choice of new supplier wrote to me to say they could not match my current suppliers service as I had two meters at the property one on a tariff they could not match. The second meter had been removed by npower at my request in August 2007.

I spent the next 20 months writing, phoning, e-mailing nearly every conceivable department at npower and involved the Ombudsman who in the first instance was unable to obtain a reply from the company.

I did obtain a ruling from the Ombudsman but the offer of payment was well short of the money I had expended in my dealings with npower. When I finally managed to change suppliers it took another 121 days to obtain a correct closing account; despite the new supplier and me both giving the readings on two separate occasions each.

Having exhausted negotiations with npower who refused to acknowledge more that a small part of my claim I entered a claim with the County Court. I have tried the mediation service; this was another torturous experience as it took the mediator many attempts to obtain a reply from the company and then set up the negotiations. The latter lasted about 8 minutes as npower halved their original offer and stated they wanted to have a day in Court.

So that is where I am at now, slightly nervous of the hearing but feel quite justified in proceeding, naturally npower have filed a defence quoting case history with a lot of legal jargon. Although I cannot afford a solicitor I have had some legal advice which is rather mixed in opinion; it appears you cannot claim for your time but costs, expenses and vexation are a possibility.

Am I being very naive in relying on common sense and British justice?

just bring every copy of letters, itemised phone bills to show your time trying to solve this, any paperwork from madiators/ombudsman.

hate these people feel they are the only ones that go to court, my not even go that far, they might be filing a defence, to call your bluff, so stand firm, closer the date comes, th higher the chance they may settle.

Hi ihateeyes, thanks for the encouragement, yes I do intend to press on, my partner is going to court with me. If npower did want to settle the cost has escalated since the claim because of the court costs etc. I was just wondering if there were any records of the number of complaints that npower have had to deal with over the last few years, or court cases. any way roll on April when I will at last get it sorted.