Trouble with Ex and money borrowed

Moppy1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4833 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please can someone help me with my problem. A little under a year ago I bought a house with my now ex, I put in 8k, he put in 1k and we borrowed 20k off my parents. I recently found out that everything he told me about his past has been a lie, I discovered this due to a website set up to "out" people who say they were in the army and haven't been. I thought he had been in the army for 15 years but he hasn't. He just told one lie after the other. i think he has some problems as he starts to believe these lies and actually buys uniforms and medals to help pretend and joins in chat rooms for service personnel. Also what he told me about his ex and their child were lies. he has an ex who is actually very nice but no child. Anyway, my parents are worried about the money that they are owed. I am willing to give them my 10k but am not sure where they stand with him. We look to be in negative equity with the house now which I know cant be helped but he is saying that he doesn't have to pay them back anything as it was a gift. We do have standing order coming out of his bank account for £250 a month to pay them back and so far he has not cancelled it so one payment has still been made since we split. I am back at my parents house whilst he carries on living there and I am still paying my half into his account to pay for the mortgage and bills which I will do until the house gets sold, although I am not the one using the utilities. I just don't know what to do next. I was with this guy for 5 years and can't believe it was all a lie.

Hi moppy

If monies coming out of his account to pay your parents back then it can't be a 'gift', a 'verbal' contract has taken place, although you might have nothing in writing.

Your parents could send a LBA and follow court protocols and sue him for the monies so he keeps on paying the £250.

The £250 he's been paying is evidence of the contract. Your parents and you are witnesses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbal_contract

There will be advise from others.

I am back at my parents house whilst he carries on living there and I am still paying my half into his account to pay for the mortgage and bills which I will do until the house gets sold, although I am not the one using the utilities. I just don't know what to do next. I was with this guy for 5 years and can't believe it was all a lie.

If this guy has lied about so many things. I personally would set up a direct payment to the mortgage company for your share, and ensure that if he defaults you are made aware of it.

The sooner you sell it the better. You maybe left with a shortfall, but atleast you can deal with that & move on. If you carry on paying him, and he decides not to pay, your credit score could be damaged, and you'll struggle to get another mortgage because of his lies.

But surely my credit history would be damaged if he doesn't make his half anyway, even if I am paying my half to the mortgage company?

Yes, because its a joint mortgage. But aslong as you make your payments direct, make the mortgage company aware of the situation ( this must happen all the time), that the house is going on the market. And put it in writing that if he defaults on his share, that you be informed immediately. If he does default, and they fail to tell you. You could use this to challenge any claim made against you.