• Tweets

• I found that the parkin attended has a car with CCTV camera on it, however as I stated earlier, it seems that he did not take video of my car otherwise they would have stated so in the SAR. parking car .pdf
    • The rules state that "approved devices may only be used in limited circumstances"  I was not a threat. I was not present. I did not drive away. I think he has not fulfilled the necessary requirements justifying issuing me a PCN by post therefore the PCN was issued incorrectly and not valid.  What are your thoughts?  
    • I have also found this:  D.2 Service of a PCN by post: 54) There are some circumstances in which a PCN (under Regulation 10) may be served by post: 1) where the contravention has been detected on the basis of evidence from an approved device (approved devices may only be used in limited circumstances) 2) if the CEO has been prevented, for example by force, threats of force, obstruction or violence, from serving the PCN either by affixing it to the vehicle or by giving it to the person who appears to be in charge of that vehicle 3) if the CEO had started to issue the PCN but did not have enough time to finish or serve it before the vehicle was driven away and would otherwise have to write off or cancel the PCN 55) In any of these circumstances a PCN is served by post to the owner and also acts as the NtO. The Secretary of State recommends that postal PCNs should be sent within 14 days of the contravention. Legislation states that postal PCNs must be sent within 28 days, unless otherwise stated in the Regulations. This from London Councils Code of Practice on Civil Parking Enforcement.  The question is what is an approved device? Certainly, he had the opportunity to place the ticket on my car and I didn't drive away.  I looked further and it seems that an approved device is a CCTV camera - It seems that the photos taken were not actual film but images and it is not clear if they are taken from a video or are stills. I'm guessing if it was moving images then the SAR would have stated this.    From the Borough of Hounslow website: "There are two types of PCN issued under the Traffic Management Act 2004, which governs parking contraventions. The first is served on-street by a Civil Enforcement Officer, who will observe a vehicle and collect evidence before serving the PCN either by placing it in a plastic wallet under the windscreen wiper, or by handing it to the driver. The second is a PCN served by post, based on CCTV footage taken by an approved device, which has been reviewed by a trained CCTV Operator."   From Legislation.gov.uk regarding approved devices: Approved Devices 4.  A device is an approved device for the purposes of these Regulations if it is of a type which has been certified by the Secretary of State as one which meets requirements specified in Schedule 1. SCHEDULE 1Specified requirements for approved devices 1.  The device must include a camera which is— (a)securely mounted on a vehicle, a building, a post or other structure, (b)mounted in such a position that vehicles in relation to which relevant road traffic contraventions are being committed can be surveyed by it, (c)connected by secure data links to a recording system, and (d)capable of producing in one or more pictures, a legible image or images of the vehicle in relation to which a relevant road traffic contravention was committed which show its registration mark and enough of its location to show the circumstances of the contravention. 2.  The device must include a recording system in which— (a)recordings are made automatically of the output from the camera or cameras surveying the vehicle and the place where a contravention is occurring, (b)there is used a secure and reliable recording method that records at a minimum rate of 5 frames per second, (c)each frame of all captured images is timed (in hours, minutes and seconds), dated and sequentially numbered automatically by means of a visual counter, and (d)where the device does not occupy a fixed location, it records the location from which it is being operated. 3.  The device and visual counter must— (a)be synchronised with a suitably independent national standard clock; and (b)be accurate within plus or minus 10 seconds over a 14-day period and re-synchronised to the suitably independent national standard clock at least once during that period. 4.  Where the device includes a facility to print a still image, that image when printed must be endorsed with the time and date when the frame was captured and its unique number. 5.  Where the device can record spoken words or other audio data simultaneously with visual images, the device must include a means of verifying that, in any recording produced by it, the sound track is correctly synchronised with the visual image.
    • Hearing took place today.  Case dismissed with costs awarded. Neither UKPC or a representative turned up.  Apparently they messaged the court on 7 May asking for their case to be considered on paper.  Never informed me, which was criticised by the judge as not following procedure.  I was really annoyed as I would have preferred for the case to be thrown out before the hearing, or at least face them in court and see them squeal.   They are just playing a numbers game and hope you blink 1st!   Ended up having to change my flight, but  the costs awarded softens the blow. Was asked to confirm it was my signature on both the witness statement and supplementary statement.  Wasn't asked to read them, said she could see my arguments made and the signs were insufficient and no contract formed. Took maybe 10 mins in total.  Judge did most of the talking and was best for me just to keep quiet or confirm any statements made. Happy to have won as a matter of principle and have costs awarded. Maybe not worth all the time and hassle for any newbies or the technologically challenged.  But if you are stubborn like me and willing to put in the time and effort, you can beat these vultures! I big shout out to everyone who helped on the thread with their advice and guidance, special mention to FTMDave, thank you sir!  Really appreciate everyone's efforts. All the best!
    • I plan to be honest to avoid any further trouble, tell them that the name should be changed to my official name
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Placing a default 2.5 years too late

extrobe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4685 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello caggers.

Been a little while away whilst I had a well earned Christmas Break, but am ready to get my last bits of profile cleaned up!

I only really have one item left, and it only shows on my Equifax report, but it's a funny one I think.

I did bring it up in a previous post, but feel it's worthy of a fresh one of its own.

Here we go:

- I take out a Hire Purchase agreement Jan 2006 for a Car

- I fail to make payments from July 2007

- Car returned to them a few months later

However, that’s where it all goes a bit messy;

- My credit report shows the failed payments between July & November 2007 – no issue there.

- My report shows as ‘Data Unavailable’ from December 07 – Feb 10.

- Then, in March 2010, they placed a default against this account – a full 2.5 years after first failing to pay (and some 2 years after the vehicle got taken back) (The attached image might make this clearer!)

I’ve not had any dealing relating to this since the car was returned (and perhaps naively, thought as I had returned the car, it was settled / closed)

So, I wanted some advice of the best approach for tackling this one.

As I understand it, if I do nothing, it will be on there until March 2016.

So, should I go down the standard ‘deny / prove it’ route, see where that gets me first

Or should I go straight in, point out that they are in breech of data protection laws by placing a default so late. In doing so, do I risk ‘acknowledging’ the debt, and therefore re-starting the stat-barred clock anyway?

I guess option number 3 would be to wait until 6 years after it *should* have shown as defaulted, and then tell them to remove it.

Any suggestions would be a big help

credit.JPG

Hi,

This should have been legitimately defaulted in Dec 07/Jan08 so I would be writing a formal complaint to them demanding they record it accurately. Failure to do so will result in complaints to the ICO. The ICO have made it clear that defaults should be placed in a 'timely manner' and certainly within 6 months of the first missed payment

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thanks Silverfox - this is exactly what I want to do. I just worry that they will regard this as acknowledging the debt, therefore re-starting the sb clock :-( (in which case I could still go down the prove it route, but could backfire)

Anyway you can think of of me wording it without acknowledging it?

I would start any letter to them with, "I do not acknowledge any debt to you (nor any company you claim to represent(if it's with a DCA))"

Whenever posible when talking of the debt, include "alleged" i.e " You have placed a default against this alleged debt"

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Thanks Silverfox.

I have begun penning my letter to them. Would welcome any tips, and anything I can quote as a source for points [1] & [3] if you know any?

Dear Sir / Madam,

I write regarding a default your company has placed against my name on my Credit Report held with Equifax for an alleged debt.

I have no knowledge of this alleged debt to your company.

What is also of concern is that this default was added in April 2010. According to the Credit Report, this alleged debt fell into arrears in 2007, so doesn’t explain why a default was added over 2 years later.

The ICO has made it clear that:

- Any data held about someone must be correct and relevant [1]

- Should a default be made against someone, it must be in a timely manner (and never more than 6 months later) [2]

Test cases has have shown that damages of £1000 per inaccurate entry can be awarded where incorrect and defamatory data is recorded against someone. [3]

Failure to remove this entry from my file within 21 working days will result in a complaint to the ICO, and I will also strongly consider claiming damages against you.

I look forward to your reply

Yours truly,

extrobe

Sources:

[2] ICO – Data Protection Technical Guidance: Filling defaults with credit reference agencies – Section 11

Time framework

Although there will be some flexibility in the definition of a breakdown, we believe there should be general rules for the minimum period of arrears which should exist before a default can be filed. Equally there should be a maximum period after which, if anything is to be recorded with a credit reference agency, a default must be filed. The following are in line with the practices currently adopted by most lenders.

• Accounts should not be routinely filed as being in default where full payments or those due under a rescheduled agreement are fewer than three consecutive months in arrears.

Accounts should normally be filed as being in default where those payments due have not been received for six months.

Can I ask a hypothetical question related to this?

IF Extrobe had been paying reduced payments on this account to a DCA between 2007 - 2010 instead, and stopped paying those reduced repayments to the DCA in March 2010, would they be entitled to enter a Default dated March 2010?

Advice and comments posted by The Debt Star reflect only my personal opinion and it is up to you alone to decide what action you should take. You should always seek independent legal advice from your own qualified legal advisor.

IF Extrobe had been paying reduced payments on this account to a DCA between 2007 - 2010 instead, and stopped paying those reduced repayments to the DCA in March 2010, would they be entitled to enter a Default dated March 2010?

My understanding (not always right mind you!) is that yes, they could replace a pre-existing default with a fresh one.

But unless someone has been paying on my behalf (I should be so lucky!) then this shouldn't have any impact on this. Plus, I have a previous report from earlier last year and there is no default in sight relating to that account.

Hypothetically, if more than token payments were being made, that would be recorded as 'arrangement to pay' however, if the creditor was accepting only token payments (eg-£1 per month) then a default is immediately placed.

I would think (but not absolutely sure) that if the debtor failed in an arrangement to pay then a default would be placed but should they backdate it to when full payments ceased, I'm not sure

but should they backdate it to when full payments ceased, I'm not sure

Thats what I'd be interested to know. Seems royally unfair if they did enter an up-to-date Default for an account that broke down on 2007 imo, but, sadly, nothing is fair to the consumers it seems to me in these matters.

Advice and comments posted by The Debt Star reflect only my personal opinion and it is up to you alone to decide what action you should take. You should always seek independent legal advice from your own qualified legal advisor.

• 3 months later...

Right, been a while, so a quick update / question...

I finally sent of my letter - more or less what I posted above, but with a couple of extra sources for bits.

They've written back asking for an extract of the relevant credit file showing this.

This is fine, and I have it - but wanted to check this wasn't some sneaky way of me admitting liability, giving them more ammo etc - or should I be ok?

Thanks!

watch out they don't conduct a full table 1 search on you though

watch out they don't conduct a full table 1 search on you though

Is that a full on search that others will see?

can they do that / can I revoke their right to do so?

I've had DCA's scan my profile before, but only a soft search

soft search is fine (Equifax call them Table 2 searches) and that is the only search they should do and need to do. But you know how these outfits operate and what I was concerned about was them making a Table 1 search which of course be damaging to you. I'm sure they won't. Just keep an eye on it and scream blue bloddy murder if they do!

I - reluctantly - pay them £6.99 p.m. to keep an eye on my report. I'm amazed at how often sneaky little changes come and go. When I can I'm cancelling the payments but, for now, its invaluable and money well spent policing the nasty little feckers that are trying it on with my data.

Yeah, I pay Experian for this.

I think this company use Equifax - I used to pay monthly to them too, much they're sneaky over prices thieving gits, so cancelled it - will just have to get hold of my free report every so often with them!

(When you're subscribed, your profile indicates that it's a free service, which it's not, as you're already paying for it! grr!)

Hypothetically, if more than token payments were being made, that would be recorded as 'arrangement to pay' however, if the creditor was accepting only token payments (eg-£1 per month) then a default is immediately placed.

I would think (but not absolutely sure) that if the debtor failed in an arrangement to pay then a default would be placed but should they backdate it to when full payments ceased, I'm not sure

So let me get my head round this, if you have made arrangements to pay, and ARE paying, not at the token rate of £1 pcm, but also less than what it would otherwise normally be, then there shouldn't be a default and it should show instead "arrangement" or similair?

DCA's - they have the same power as an infinite number of untrained chimps working on a script for Hamlet, but the chimps would probably at least get it right :D

So let me get my head round this, if you have made arrangements to pay, and ARE paying, not at the token rate of £1 pcm, but also less than what it would otherwise normally be, then there shouldn't be a default and it should show instead "arrangement" or similair?

I could be wrong, but I think that if you had defaulted before making your arrangement to pay, then the default would still be recorded has happening, but be updated to show now arrange to pay (much like if you settle a defaulted account, the default still happened, and is still there)

If you didn't default, but went straight into arrangement to pay, then, well, you didn't default, so no default required on your account

Edit: OK, I wasn't quite right, but on the right track :-)

The account wil be in default and the lender is obliged to send you updates on the amount you are defaulting by. but they don't have to terminate the account and send you a default notice that goes on your credit file. However they can and do mark your file with AP (Arrangement to Pay). Out of 7 creditors I only have one DN and the rest are AP markers. :|

AP markers are worse than a Default imo and to be avoided. My reasoning is from bitter personal experience. Defaults drop off the cred file after 6 years whether u still owe them anything or not. APs stay on for a s long as ur paying them and then for 6 years after that. Experian have confirmed this to me by email. An AP is seen as dodgy by lenders and credit apps will get bounced because of them. So, of the 2 (AP v Default) I'd choose the Default.

I did have an AP removed by one creditor and replaced with a Default (which comes off next year). Otherwise I'd have that AP forever. It was a tough fight but one I won in the end.

• 3 weeks later...

Right-O

so an mentioned, I've had a reply asking for an extract from my credit file.

Finally got round to getting my next letter written, but it's done now, and should be in tomorrow's post!

Here's what I've put...

Dear Ms. xxxx,

Thank you for your letter dated xx xxx 2011

In your letter, you request an extract of the relevant part of my credit reference file.

Please find enclosed a copy of the relevant part of my Equifax Credit Report

As per my previous letter (dated xx xxxl 2011), I do not recognise the content of this entry. This fact not withstanding, you will no doubt understand my concern that a default has been placed against the account some 27 months after the fact is said to have occurred – a clear breach of Data Protection Act.

Thank you for your time investigating this matter – I look forward to your response.

Yours Sincerely

me

• 2 weeks later...

make sure you keep screen shots etc. wouldn't trust 'em not to change it again. have had probs with Brit Gas recently like that.

ok, well you know that it'll drop off for good at end of 2013.