Peak & Off Peak Charges: British Rail

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4827 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was traveling from Oxford to Plymouth, And made the mistake of getting on the train during

The So call 'London Peak time'.

The train was about 20mins away from Taunton, when the ticket inspector asked me for a ticket.

He said it was wrong and wanted an extra £100:!: for peak charge.

I said i didn't have the cash:violin:, So he asked for card.

I gave him my Electron card, but they don't except them

So he told me to get of at Taunton, I did this. And asked the Taunton B.R staff, and was told it was now off-peak times.

So i only had to wait 5mins for next train, and saved £100!

Morale of the story, don't always go for the best type of bank card!:-)

mers.com/"]http://www.ofcom.org.uk/

If in doubt Say No!

The rule that some types of debit cards cannot be used on train isn't the rail company's rule.

It is the rule of the banks that issue them and is notified to the holder when they are issued.

What it actually says is, that the card can only be used where there is an electonic means of checking the credit and because not all trains can have that facility when travelling some don't accept them.

The rule about ticket validity is that to be accepted as valid to travel any ticket must be valid for all of the following:

1. the day and date of travel

2. the places and route of the journey

3. the time of the train being used

4. the class of accomodation occupied.

If a ticket is purchased for off-peak travel from station X it is only valid for trains that are timed to leave that station during the period that is specified as 'off peak period'

That means that if a train leaves outside the 'off-peak' period, the 'off-peak' ticket is not valid on that train no matter where you get on it.

Hope that helps

Yes Thanks,

The off-peak time at Oxford ends 2:30 pm, I got on at 4pm-ish(totally forgot about peak times)

And got asked for the ticket on the train at 6:30pm.

*It's kind of nuts, that train are only meant for rich people?:-x

It can cost 7-8(+) times more to travel by train than car.

And you can't always gets a coach or a bus, and I'm not really into the arm-pit in my face lifestyle!:|

mers.com/"]http://www.ofcom.org.uk/

If in doubt Say No!

There seems to be many aspects to the original 'complaint'.

Payment by card. Whilst most traders accept most cards, thankfully, they are not 'legal tender'. It is my view that 'cards' are a retrograde step from all of the magnificent legislation introduced to give freedom to the ordinary citizen. The banks and 'business' set the rules regarding who may have one and how they may be used. (Buy me a pint or seven, stand back and accept a lecture on 'freedom and the manipulative efforts of banks and business' to enslave the ordinary man in the street)

Railway 'ticket rules'. When a ticket is bought, the validity of that ticket is explained, most often in the 'National Conditions of Carriage', but with many tickets for 'longer' journeys, by the clerk issuing that ticket.

Prices: Many people complain that fares are 'too high'. The setting of fares is, for the most part, carried out 'above' the train operating company. The Association of Train Operating Companies and the Department for Transport 'agree' fares across the country. Some fares are set by individual companies, but they tend to be the 'special offer', cheap fares. If, as a nation, we want 'cheaper' fares, then as a nation, we would need to agree to higher Government subsidy for train operators. I look at my local situation, and if fares were (for example) halved, the train capacity could not cope with the increase in passengers, and neither would the car parks near the station, as bus 'feeder routes' would not cope with the increase either. In truth, most of the local commuters use the train because it is quicker than a car, and still cheaper as a result of fuel, parking and congestion charging costs.

Using a car is only cheaper if you already have one. When you take into account road tax, insurance and 'capital outlay', the train is often cheaper.

My town is basically a car park, too many cars all over the place.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that the 'inspector' was extremely reasonable in allowing to leave the train at Taunton without obtaining your details for further action.

Nevertheless, I am sure that as a discerning and undoubtedly, law abiding citizen; you will be making the payment for the distance travelled to Taunton on the invalid ticket, to the TOC concerned.

Edited by Maxwell TM
Typos :-)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? :razz:

My favourite railway has one price for all classes, at any time of day. Admittedly it doesn't go very far, but all of the passengers enjoy the ride, and return every Sunday.

Instead of clicking on links to the Daily Mail, you could search for the Canvey Railway on the internet.

I hasten to add that I have no connection or financial interest with that superb outfit. My local mainline claims to run 90something % of trains on time. Canvey run 100%, as they don't have a timetable.

Trains do sometimes have difficulties with slugs on the rail head though.

What a wonderful image. Sadly, I am not in that one! I am not camera shy, just that most camera owners are concerned about frightening their children. For the serious (miniature) anoraks, please note that the track is dual guage. Think how many more excuses that can generate! The club has tracks for 3 1/2", 5" elevated, 5" ground level and 7 1/4" guage locomotives.

Don't tell 'real railways' about driver's pay though. The drivers bring their own trains and pay for the privilege of driving them. The insurance company insist that all trains have a guard, and that the platform will be staffed whenever passenger trains are being run. Bit of a contrast to full size practice. The nearest 'mainline station' doesn't have any staff on site until some time after the first train, and staff leave site long before the last one.

Don't tell 'real railways' about driver's pay though. The drivers bring their own trains and pay for the privilege of driving them. The insurance company insist that all trains have a guard, and that the platform will be staffed whenever passenger trains are being run.

Speaking as an RMT mole....:-D

• 3 weeks later...

TOCs don't like Electron cards because these need to be authorised in real time, something that is not always possible on the move. AFAIK, this is the only reason they are not accepted on board. They can however, be used at booking offices and possibly in some TVMs