Abbey/Santander : Santander/Abbey Debt Collection *HELP*

silverlaces
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4864 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there - Hope this is in the right section!

First of all let me start by saying thanks to everyone this forum - I didn't create an account before as I thought I had solved my problem through reading others who had experienced similiar issues. However, I now find myself at breaking point with Santander and require the insight of others. I simply don't know where to turn.

I'll try to be as brief as possible - I am a student who was very good with my money (believe me, after seeing what some of my housemates had for debt - I was good) and left University with a debt of approximately £1850 to pay back to Abbey National (now Santander). I managed my first payment of £250 and made an agreement with Abbey to pay back what I owed them over a period of time. I can't recall what timescale, but the money was to be debitted from my account on a set date etc. All seemed well.

However, March of last year (2010) I received a letter from "Debt Collectors" stating that I owed them £1550 approx and that I should pay immediately. I noticed that they had my Abbey National account number, name and address but was unsure how to handle it because of my previously set up agreement. I decided to confront Abbey on the issue.

The guy in the branch was very helpful, but it later came to conclusion that Abbey National had closed my account, defaulted the debt to a collection agency and wanted nothing more to do with me. The guy in the branch couldn't understand why they had closed my account without asking me / informing me in ANY way. It later became apparent that Abbey National could do nothing. I couldn't believe that I was being put through this, it wasn't like I was trying to avoid the debt.

I didn't want to pay this "Debt Collection" company as I owed them nothing. I wanted to pay Abbey National. So, following advice I'd seen on MSE I decided to send Debt Collectors a letter asking them to prove I owed the money to them. They couldn't come up with the goods, and I was sent a letter back saying the debt had been returned to Abbey National. Relief I thought, but it was short lived. June of 2010, I was contacted by another company who was coming down the same lines. I sent them the same letter and they too told me that they would return the debt to the original collector - Abbey National. I then didn't hear anything until December 20th 2010.

At this point, I received a letter from Santander saying that an account had been "re-opened" or that they were demonstrating a "Transaction Summary" of my account. Had it be opened again? What was going on? I thought that my account had been defaulted and passed onto the "horrible people." I decided to go in Santander and set up repayment of my student debt.

Today I went to Santander and queried the entire situation - They told me that they couldn't do anything about it and that I needed to contact the collection agency, even though the agency said that I needed to contact Santander as they wanted nothing to do with the account any longer! How difficult is it to just say to Santander, I want to pay the money back!? Let me pay the debts back!

For the record, Santander / Abbey National have treated me like a criminal, and not once have they taken my interests and well being into account. They've treated me with zero logic and I've been chasing this matter for almost a year now trying to pay them the damn debt back as previously agreed.

I am just in the dark here and I don't know what to do? It's not like I'm trying to avoid the debt - How they've handled the situation defies logic. The way they've spoken to me has just left me scared and upset, I just don't know what to do. I want to complain and make Abbey National suffer for how they've treated me - But I'm just worried it will fall on deaf ears.

I'm sorry for the long post - I just needed to vent all my thoughts on one place.

Any advice is greatly appreciated - Thank you for reading. If you require any further information, just let me know and I will post it here.

M.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bit late and hope you've managed to resolve this but if you haven't, I think the first thing you need is a complete and up to date record of all transactions and where you are to date.

So, it may be better to put this on the footing of first making a formal complaint about the way they've handled your case and then sending a SAR for all information held on your account.

You may have a good case against Santander for the way they handled your account. For the record, Abbey lost loads of information, correspondence etc when it moved over to Santander, who then acted as if they didn't need to follow any rules.

Essentially, they seem to have defaulted you and passed your account on to the DCAs and of course, as one passes it back, it goes to another and bounces around ad nauseam.

If you have anything in writing from Abbey, that may help to show that it is Abbey/Santander who have mismanaged your account.

However, going into branches is not going to help at all because a) you'll have nothing in writing from the visit about any agreements or comments, and b) the branch isn't the place who will be dealing with this.

I'm afraid it's going to be down to hard slog correspondence.

It may be worth a trip to the CAB to see if they have any helpful advice on the matter of Santander not continuing with your agreement with Abbey without first contacting you.