seasonal work and benefits

tracini
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4865 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, just been made redundant and there is only seasonal work in the coastal town i live at the moment, i have found a full time seasonal job but i have now been told if i take a seasonal job i wouldnt be able to claim any benefits when i finish for the winter....is this correct info??? thanks

thats what i think, but heard off 2 people now, not claimed before so this is new to me, but i cant go all winter without any help, anyone know for sure??? got an appointment at jobcentre on wed so will let u know what i find out!!

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dmgch20.pdf

Someone has got their wires crossed. There is no outright exemption to seasonal workers from JSA, it depends on the circumstances, you have to be in "remunerative employment". For example, someone who only works during a season but is employed all year and paid pro-rata year round (or guaranteed employment every continuing season) may not satisfy the conditions as they are already employed though not physically working at certain times of the year.

The job you describe (I think) is fixed term only. You're paid for that season only as and when you work and when it's done, it's done, no pay continues and no contract continues and though you may be taken on again when the next season starts, until then you are not employed or paid by them and no guarantee of work next season. If this is the case, perhaps refer to it as fixed term employment rather than seasonal. Reason for leaving employment: end of fixed term contract.

Hope that adds a little clarity.

• Confused 1

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Yes, a fixed term contract which has come to an end is not a barrier to claiming JSA.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)