• Tweets

• it is not a fine, thread title updated and fine changed to charge in 1st post. also can you post up the defence you filed and the court directions have you received ukpc WS yet? if so scan all that up to. read upload carefully one mass pdf only. dx
    • Hello, welcome to CAG. Could you let us have the information we ask for in the forum sticky please? We need the information to start working on your case. Once we have that, I'll get you to answer a different set of questions. Best, HB
    • Hi there,  Long story short, I was working a year ago in a city centre and the site operator I was working with told me I could park in a private car park as they had an arrangement with the owner. I came back to a parking charge  from UK Parking Control, and the site operator subsequently couldn't get hold of the private car park owner and haven't been able to since. Fast forward to today, I have received multiple legal threats from DCB Legal acting for UK Parking Control I have now been issued with a court hearing along with a date. I have to file my witness statement for a court hearing later this summer.  I realise that I could have handled the situation better and am already aware of that. I was wondering what my options are at this stage? I am very keen to avoid a CCJ as it would obviously be disastrous for my credit score. Any advice appreciated. My current plan is to file a witness statement and hope the case is discontinued. Thank you for any advice in advance.
    • I run a small retail business selling cards & gifts ( all my sales are done on a face - face basis  ) & noticed one of the settlement amounts on the card terminal bank deposits was short so contacted the card company which said a customer has requested a chargeback on a sale the reason saying the goods bought was not fit for the purpose purchased for. I have old fashion till which does not show any sales or descriptions of what is bought, plus when the settlement statements match up i shred the sale receipts. The card company told me the transaction was paid for with the customers phone & shows on my portal. They have asked me for sales prof, cctv, terminal receipt of the transaction which I have none, as this was done a few weeks later. I have asked for pictures to prove the items are not fit for the purpose purchased for plus said if the customer can return them i would give them a full refund but have had nothing back plus no pictures. Also I have had no communication with the customer even asking me for a full refund. They have now closed the case & awarded the customer the full refund. Any advice would much be appreciated   
    • First Direct has relaunched its £175 switching deal just two weeks after its last switching deal ended due to demand from customers.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3114 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Best of luck Fuzzbutt, and thanks for yer grit and hard work.

I've just sent a brief overview of the Access/Advent/BPF situation to WHICH? magazine, seeing as they've had success with the mis-selling of PPI for loans by the major banks, and the banks felt the sting. I've flagged it as a 2 pronged complaint, one is obviously the behaviour of BPF, the other is the regulation of the private training firms.

Can I encourage more to do the same as they might see by numbers that there is a campaign to get behind.

Nice one, Skinnyribs - thanks, will also do that.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all, I was doing the plumbing course with Access 2 Trade and am considering taking it to a small claims court. Is anyone else from the plumbing or electrical course thinking of doing the same? I was thinking we could put our heads together to get the best evidence between us. Thanks

Certainly! I've been going through it with a toothpick and found a couple of contradictions.

Another point we can use is we were not ALLOWED to see any details of the courses unless we 'verified' our details on the CT website, so that was unfair under the Contracts Act. The 'bespoke' offer was not made public on CT website until 7 Oct 2010, 10 months after Advent's collapse!

BPF really are full of bullsh** and are desperately trying to claw their way out of this now.

This is exactly the point I am putting in front of the FOS adjudicator. The fact we would be taking up a contract without any legal redress if the new provider defaults. There are also a couple of issues legally were they have tried to apply law in retrospect.The contact by email of the creditors did not come into force until this year.The secret selling of our details to Computeach without disclosure to the courts has earned PKF a telling off. They are patching things up as they go along in the hope that it will all be forgotten that BPF started all this in the 1st place by breaking their contract with Advent.

This is exactly the point I am putting in front of the FOS adjudicator. The fact we would be taking up a contract without any legal redress if the new provider defaults. There are also a couple of issues legally were they have tried to apply law in retrospect.The contact by email of the creditors did not come into force until this year.The secret selling of our details to Computeach without disclosure to the courts has earned PKF a telling off. They are patching things up as they go along in the hope that it will all be forgotten that BPF started all this in the 1st place by breaking their contract with Advent.

I think we've got a good case, Rob.I really hope people look into Hausfeld's advice of taking legal action in small claims or county court now and not throw in the towel in despair.I've nearly finished by letter before legal action to BPF now, just waiting on confirmation of something which may be useful to us all.

I think there is definitely a good argument for maintaining the group mentality on this as the cost of a good commercial lawyer to deal with 600+ individual court cases is going to be far in excess of the amount BPF think people owe them. And we know they only care about the money............so they may reconsider............

I must admit fuzz your determination is something I for one am impressed by. It has definately given me hope as i almost gave in. What gets me is why BPF havn't tried taking us to court yet to reclaim this money rather then try and bully us into it? Basicly admitting there in the wrong isnt it?

I just had a end of year statement from BPF basicly telling me I am in arrears by X amount blah blah.

Not once has BPF asked what I want ..

I noticed that they have added costs of £1 in serveral places, I am wondering whats that about?..

Anyone got this and have ideas?

I just had a end of year statement from BPF basicly telling me I am in arrears by X amount blah blah.

Not once has BPF asked what I want ..

I noticed that they have added costs of £1 in serveral places, I am wondering whats that about?..

Anyone got this and have ideas?

Remember all those £1 postal orders we have sent along with our Deed Of Assignment Letters to Mercers and the likes.This was originally sent to them to cover the costs of retrieving those documents which none of us received !! Seems BPF put that towards paying off our loans. Misappropriation of some kind ?? Edited by rphood
Spelling

I must admit fuzz your determination is something I for one am impressed by. It has definately given me hope as i almost gave in. What gets me is why BPF havn't tried taking us to court yet to reclaim this money rather then try and bully us into it? Basicly admitting there in the wrong isnt it?

I'm of the opinion it's because they feel a judge may not look so favourably upon them as FOS! And they know it! Ingrid is still looking at issues for us (should something new and concrete come up she can pinpoint ) but did stress that many individual claims is far more hassle and cost to a bank which will have to engage a solicitor on each case, send them to your local court (all over the country in this case), and face costs/interest etc...Don't forget you may be able to get a free court solicitor (depending on your income) and/or legal aid - Barclays won't! In a small claims court you are protected from costs if you lose by the 'no costs rule'.I'm confident on these points - mis-sellingfailure of CT and BPF to supply timely info on the 'bespoke courses', so negating our chance to act on it.failure of Ct to give detailed info of the new course without you 'verifying' your details (signing up with them) - unfair.S75 - 3 month gap in course supply, despite BPF's extension agreed with CT.CT reputation - lots of evidence!not like for like (the open ended issue)CT/ BPF wasting so much time and poor communication (certainly in my case as my end date ran out - so would be forced to pay more to finish my certificate)Some successes already with Hitachi agreeing refunds to Advent students and FOS rulings on 'no end date'That's enough to kick butt, I reckon!

Remember all those £1 postal orders we have sent along with our Deed Of Assignment Letters to Mercers and the likes.This was originally sent to them to cover the costs of retrieving those documents which none of us received !! Seems BPF put that towards paying off our loans. Misappropriation of some kind ??

This is an interesting point of Law to take up Frustration Of Contract

Examples of frustrating events include:

Contractual performance imposing a burden on one party which is radically different from that contemplated at the time of contracting,

without rendering performance actually impossible (Tsakiroglou v Noblee Thorl [1962] AC 93).

Actually didn't BPF render this impossible within their contracted time scales and that some of the goods can be considered perished as they are retired by Microsoft and CompTia

Edited by rphood
Extra Data

I'm of the opinion it's because they feel a judge may not look so favourably upon them as FOS! And they know it! Ingrid is still looking at issues for us (should something new and concrete come up she can pinpoint ) but did stress that many individual claims is far more hassle and cost to a bank which will have to engage a solicitor on each case, send them to your local court (all over the country in this case), and face costs/interest etc...Don't forget you may be able to get a free court solicitor (depending on your income) and/or legal aid - Barclays won't! In a small claims court you are protected from costs if you lose by the 'no costs rule'.I'm confident on these points - mis-sellingfailure of CT and BPF to supply timely info on the 'bespoke courses', so negating our chance to act on it.failure of Ct to give detailed info of the new course without you 'verifying' your details (signing up with them) - unfair.S75 - 3 month gap in course supply, despite BPF's extension agreed with CT.CT reputation - lots of evidence!not like for like (the open ended issue)CT/ BPF wasting so much time and poor communication (certainly in my case as my end date ran out - so would be forced to pay more to finish my certificate)Some successes already with Hitachi agreeing refunds to Advent students and FOS rulings on 'no end date'That's enough to kick butt, I reckon!

Posted On our Face Book Page

(Name Removed) I was on the mcse when they went, and only got my A+, I was with hitachi for the loan but the deals the same, contact me on my email - (Email Removed)with Advent as the subject and i'll send you across my paperwork. I started a small claims court case against hitachi, as they too were acting v.threatening, and managed to get near all the dosh back. it's all in the consumer credit act, which i'll also send you a full copy of. section 74, isn't actually the main bit, contrary to popular belief, but section 70 added to it, basically states that as these loans are "Linked Agreements" that is a loan or credit for a specific purpose paid direct, means that in your case bpf should actually write off the loan and refund what you've paid over what was recieved, and acutally you could get it all back due to parts of the course being miss-sold. Check your enrolment form if you still have it for advent. it states for me "MCSE" which would be the final course, so the A+ in my case, was completely mis-sold and legally free!!

Sorry to ramble on, but as i say, drop me an email, and i'll send you all the info across. Oh yea, and i did it with out a lawyer, not because I study law, but because solong as you read through and get your own head around it, the rules are actually pretty simple and blunt that you deserve a refund!! - same goes for anyone else reading this!!

Works For Me !!!

Well spotted, Rob - I missed that on facebook.

I just googled S70, linked loans and found this on the 'legislation.gov.uk' website...

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/70/2007-12-01

Quote from S70:

"Cancellation: recovery of money paid by debtor or hirer.

(1)On the cancellation of a regulated agreement, and of any linked transaction,—

(a)any sum paid by the debtor or hirer, or his relative, under or in contemplation of the agreement or transaction, including any item in the total charge for credit, shall become repayable, and

(b)any sum, including any item in the total charge for credit, which but for the cancellation is, or would or might become, payable by the debtor or hirer, or his relative, under the agreement or transaction shall cease to be, or shall not become, so payable, and

©in the case of a debtor-creditor-supplier agreement falling within section 12(b), any sum paid on the debtor’s behalf by the creditor to the supplier shall become repayable to the creditor.

(2)If, under the terms of a cancelled agreement or transaction, the debtor or hirer, or his relative, is in possession of any goods, he shall have a lien on them for any sum repayable to him under subsection (1) in respect of that agreement or transaction, or any other linked transaction.

(3)A sum repayable under subsection (1) is repayable by the person to whom it was originally paid, but in the case of a debtor-creditor-supplier agreement falling within section 12(b) the creditor and the supplier shall be under a joint and several liability to repay sums paid by the debtor, or his relative, under the agreement or under a linked transaction falling within section 19(1)(b) and accordingly, in such a case, the creditor shall be entitled, in accordance with rules of court, to have the supplier made a party to any proceedings brought against the creditor to recover any such sums.

(4)Subject to any agreement between them, the creditor shall be entitled to be indemnified by the supplier for loss suffered by the creditor in satisfying his liability under subsection (3), including costs reasonably incurred by him in defending proceedings instituted by the debtor.

(5)Subsection (1) does not apply to any sum which, if not paid by a debtor, would be payable by virtue of section 71, and applies to a sum paid or payable by a debtor for the issue of a credit-token only where the credit-token has been returned to the creditor or surrendered to a supplier."

It looks like a new amendment, so far as I can see, and I'm going to look into it a bit more now.

Edited by Fuzzbutt

In retrospect, having gone over the A+ exam coursework, it covered very rudimentary, technical matters relating to the workings of computer processors etc, which I did not need to have a knowledge of in order to complete the CIW Web Designer course using design software (bearing in mind I had worked as a publications/web site designer already - which the rep knew). I feel I could have gone straight to the Designer certification and bypassed this part completely as it was geared more towards the technical certificates, involving management of office networks, such as the Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE). Hence I feel I was wrongly advised into taking an unnecessary qualification and mis-sold this unit of the course completely.

Something else to raise, inappropriate course units pushed on you!

In retrospect, having gone over the A+ exam coursework, it covered very rudimentary, technical matters relating to the workings of computer processors etc, which I did not need to have a knowledge of in order to complete the CIW Web Designer course using design software (bearing in mind I had worked as a publications/web site designer already - which the rep knew). I feel I could have gone straight to the Designer certification and bypassed this part completely as it was geared more towards the technical certificates, involving management of office networks, such as the Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE). Hence I feel I was wrongly advised into taking an unnecessary qualification and mis-sold this unit of the course completely.

Something else to raise, inappropriate course units pushed on you!

Also note now Advents Comptia A+ is now retired MCDST covers XP and is retired by Microsoft at the end of June. MCSE has been retired already. Advent was supplying this to you when you signed up and Computeach probably got this al cheap under the guise of intelectual property from the liquidation of Advent.

Posted by letter before court action to BPF yesterday. They've got 14 days now before it goes to small claims court.I gave a detailed account but in summary, my arguments are...The loan agreement was a restricted use credit agreement and is covered under debtor-creditor-supplier agreements within the meaning of section 12 CCA. This liability is also acknowledged in the standard terms and conditions under the loan arrangements. The loan was arranged by Advent and paid directly to Advent by Barclays. The monies never came to me. As the loan is regulated by the Consumer Credit Act and falls within limit of 12 (a) / (b) therefore I do have equal claim against Barclays as against Advent. As Advent are now in administration and training will no longer be provided to me, Barclays are fully liable as the creditor. Hence I am entitled to a refund due to Breach of Contract under S75 & S70 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.Further to this, I believe this course was mis-sold as;• I was induced to sign up under pressured selling (place only held open for a limited time).• Promises were made to me regarding a job placement after passing the first A+ exam which, in retrospect, were obviously false.• The initial modules of the course were inappropriate and unnecessary in order to complete the CIW Web Designer certificate. The time I was expected to complete within was also unrealistic for someone working full-time.• The course material and mentor support proved to be of poor quality.Pressured selling is a clear breach of S7 of the Prohibitions under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations.Barclays failed to appoint a replacement immediately and so from 27 Jan 2010 (date the Advent directors notified students their study would no longer be supported) to the announcement on 25 March 2010 that Computeach had been appointed, I was without any trainer. That is a clear breach of contract under S75 CCA as I was without a training provider for over 8 weeks. I do not accept that Barclays Partner Finance can automatically remedy the failure by Advent to provide any service following their administration by offering an alternate course provider some 2 months later. Both Barclays and Computeach FAILED to communicate my options and developments with the new ‘bespoke’ course arrangements in good enough time for me to consider taking up the new course before my original agreement terminated. This failure in communication put me at a severe disadvantage in deciding what to do regarding my position. Barclays Partner Finance later agreed a 3 month time extension to all Advent students but I do not consider this acceptable and, again, it was not communicated in a timely manner and was too little too late. To be expected to finish a 2 year course with 3 exams (while working full time) in approx 5 months is unreasonable and would have been physically impossible to achieve. In order to complete the certificate I would have had to sign up with a training company I did not want in the first place and pay EXTRA money on top of the £4,950 already laid out as my time would have run out and I would have had to extend my studies at extra cost.Hogan Lovells notably has refused to address Hausfeld’s request in a letter on the group’s behalf dated 26 Nov 2010 (paragraph 10-11) for information on exactly when and how the ‘bespoke arrangement’ was communicated to students. This is probably because of the sloppy and confused approach from both the bank and Computeach, and the fact that this set up was an afterthought and pushed on Computeach by Barclays so it was able to claim it was matching the ‘like for like’ terms being raised in complaints. This was a desperate, cynical bid to avoid refunding loans under S75. Barclays has still not given a satisfactory account to either the FOS or Hausfeld as to why it feels S75 CCA does not apply, other than to say it has fulfilled the responsibility of the contract by providing Computeach.Computeach refused to give me details of the new course without my signing over to them. This, I consider, is a breach of the Unfair Contracts Terms Act and a violation of my consumer rights.The loan arrangements include unfair contract terms in breach of Section 140A of the CCA and/or obligations to treat customers fairly under Rule 6 of the FSA Principles of Business. I also believe that a court would find an APR of 29.8% to be unfair within the meaning of section 140A of the CCA 1974. That Computeach is still unable to fulfil two of the main promises I undertook Advent’s course on (that it was ultimately ‘open-ended’ and that after passing the first exam they would actively look for a work placement for me) is proof that the replacement is NOT technically like-for-like and therefore I consider Barclays still in breach of S75 of the Consumer Credit Act.Be interesting to see what reply I get!

Some very valid points in the Fuzz.

Like you say will be interesting to see what they come back with. I have no idea how they think they are above the law.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Some very valid points in the Fuzz.

Like you say will be interesting to see what they come back with. I have no idea how they think they are above the law.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Will do. It was signed for 20 mins ago, accordingh to the Royal Mail tracking website, so I hope that's spoilt his lunch!

Will do. It was signed for 20 mins ago, accordingh to the Royal Mail tracking website, so I hope that's spoilt his lunch!
Get used to getting a lot of these Mr Paul Noble.Not to make an otherwise obvious statement I'll remind him

Shouldn't we just say :-

Barclay’s undertook a aggressive sales campaign TV adverts, high pressure salesmen etc.. leading up to Advents demise and then forced the company into liquidation by breaching their contract without giving Advent 12 months notice. There was not enough transparency on where people stood and to prevent the apparent onslaught of S75 claims by choosing an existing and cheaper partner Computeach and have only been told us to pay up whatever position we were in with our training but with a pretty good indication they were being sold onto a cheaper provider.Sorry that just seems like Profiteering.

Profiteering is a pejorative term for the act of making a profit by methods considered unethical

Whether the money was paid to Advent or goes to Computeach Barclays remain responsible because of their initial breach of contract.

Any loses should be born by Barclay’s aren’t we paying enough for RBS for their failure with Fred The Shreds whose got the biggest

one tussle with Barclays already ?

Edited by rphood

You've already sent this, so a bit late for help, but for any follow ups..."Hence I am entitled to a refund due to Breach of Contract under S75 & S70 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974"

Section 70 isn't relevant, that refers to agreements that are cancelled, for example under s67l. These aren't.

"I believe this course was mis-sold as"

Don't 'believe'. State it was. "Pressured selling is a clear breach of S7 of the Prohibitions under the Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations"

It is, but this is not relevant to a consumer claim, you have no right of action or redress under the cputr so it isn't really worth including. Don't include stuff like this in a LBA as the aim of a LBA is to persuade the other party that you are serious and really know your stuff. This sort of inclusion means that your LBA is considered a little less seriously. The more odd stuff and errors that are included, the less seriously it gets taken. "

Barclays failed to appoint a replacement immediately and so from 27 Jan 2010 (date the Advent directors notified students their study would no longer be supported) to the announcement on 25 March 2010 that Computeach had been appointed, I was without any trainer. That is a clear breach of contract under S75 CCA as I was without a training provider for over 8 weeks."

It isn't. The argument is that section 14 of the supply of goods and services 1982 implied a term into the contract that the serive be provided within a reasonable time. The delay in supplying the service was unreasonable and due to the nature of the contract constitutes a material breach of contract entitling you to rescind the contract. In the alternative Barclay's failure to arrange for the timely performance of the contract may be considered to be evidence of their intention to repudiate the contract, and such repudiation was accepted by you.

For clarity - these arguments are not ideal and have weaknesses, but they are the ones to try. "

I do not accept that Barclays Partner Finance can automatically remedy the failure by Advent to provide any service following their administration by offering an alternate course provider some 2 months later"

Unless the two months is a breach of s14 SGSA, they can. Probably best not to go here. It is an evidential point linked to the above, which in turn is 'a question of fact'.

"Both Barclays and Computeach FAILED to communicate my options and developments with the new ‘bespoke’ course arrangements in good enough time for me to consider taking up the new course before my original agreement terminated. This failure in communication put me at a severe disadvantage in deciding what to do regarding my position."

This is evidence to support the s14 argument above. "

Barclays Partner Finance later agreed a 3 month time extension to all Advent students but I do not consider this acceptable and, again, it was not communicated in a timely manner and was too little too late."

Again, this is evidence to support the s14 point, or in the alternative, evidence that Barclays sought to unilaterally amend the terms of the contact. "

To be expected to finish a 2 year course with 3 exams (while working full time) in approx 5 months is unreasonable and would have been physically impossible to achieve. In order to complete the certificate I would have had to sign up with a training company I did not want in the first place and pay EXTRA money on top of the £4,950 already laid out as my time would have run out and I would have had to extend my studies at extra cost."

Their obligation is to provide the same course for the same cost, this does not meet those obligations. "

Hogan Lovells notably has refused to address Hausfeld’s request in a letter on the group’s behalf dated 26 Nov 2010 (paragraph 10-11) for information on exactly when and how the ‘bespoke arrangement’ was communicated to students. This is probably because of the sloppy and confused approach from both the bank and Computeach, and the fact that this set up was an afterthought and pushed on Computeach by Barclays so it was able to claim it was matching the ‘like for like’ terms being raised in complaints. This was a desperate, cynical bid to avoid refunding loans under S75."

Irrelevant and emotive, don't go there.

"Barclays has still not given a satisfactory account to either the fos or Hausfeld as to why it feels S75 CCA does not apply, other than to say it has fulfilled the responsibility of the contract by providing Computeach."

They have not argued that s75 does not apply (apart from in some cases where is actually doesn't, for eg where there is a fourth party that actually took the loan); they are saying that either there is no breach of contract and that they are not liable or there was a breach of contract but that this was a breach of a warranty of the contract and the correct remedy is to honour the obligations of the contract.

"Computeach refused to give me details of the new course without my signing over to them. This, I consider, is a breach of the Unfair Contracts Terms Act and a violation of my consumer rights."

Not sure that this is a breach of ucta, or the unfair terms in consumer contracts regs as there was already a contract in place. If it is then the remedy it is strike out the offending term and barclays won't be able to rely on it. It is therefore important to identify which term is unfair and what the effect of deleting this would be. "

The loan arrangements include unfair contract terms in breach of Section 140A of the CCA and/or obligations to treat customers fairly under Rule 6 of the FSA Principles of Business."

Maybe - you'll need to evidence this well. It is fairly new law so worth a punt. "

I also believe that a court would find an APR of 29.8% to be unfair within the meaning of section 140A of the CCA 1974."

Very very doubtful. To the degree I'd not include. "

That Computeach is still unable to fulfil two of the main promises I undertook Advent’s course on (that it was ultimately ‘open-ended’ and that after passing the first exam they would actively look for a work placement for me) is proof that the replacement is NOT technically like-for-like and therefore I consider Barclays still in breach of S75 of the Consumer Credit Act."

Again, not a breach of s75, a breach of s14 SGSA.

Edited by Kraken1

sorry - all the paragraphs dissappeared. That will be difficult to read... sorry.

Fixed - ish. Ample use of code thingies - I apologise for the sloppiness. Odd things are happening to my posts. :/

Edited by Kraken1

sorry - all the paragraphs dissappeared. That will be difficult to read... sorry.

Fixed - ish. Ample use of code thingies - I apologise for the sloppiness. Odd things are happening to my posts. :/

Thanks for that feedback, Kraken. I'll take a re-look. If it goes to court now I'll have a chance to fine tune, I guess.