Very quick advice needed

Tingy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4899 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yesterday we bought some candles from Asda. Last night one of them (says on packaging burns for 9 hours) had been lit for about 60-90 minutes when it suddenly split in half and fell of it's stand (also purchased in Asda) and set fire to other stuff on the table.

Now we were lucky as we sorted it before too much damage was done, but had I just popped to the loo when it happened the whole house could have gone up.

I rang the manager at the Asda and told him - he said he would remove them from the shelves. However, as I lay in the bath this morning I wondered whether I should contact Asda Head Office - afterall if even one house went up and one person was injured, it could have been avoided. What are the shop's responsibilities here?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let people know what did happen, I did phone the Head Office who made a note of it. They say they have a trigger number of complaints before they recall an item. Took candle back to local store who refunded and gave £5 token in compensation. I did say to the Head Office with it being a "complaint" (I didn't complain, I was more concerned with informing them) of that type, it could have very easily led to somebody's death. They still said unless they received the relevant number of complaints of it happening elsewhere they would do nothing.

I can see both sides!

I wonder if trading standards would be as laid back by one potential fire.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.