My LL is not communicating.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I lived in a property temporarily (for 4 months) while I switched my job. I left the property december and before I left my LL told me that he'll send me a cheque for the deposit within 30 days after I leave.

I dropped him a few texts with my work address so he can send me the cheque. I also wanted to arrange a letter pickup as I was expecting a few important letters immediately before I left but they didnt turn up in time. These letters contain sensitive personal informations such as bank details.

But he's completely ignoring my communications.

This house was a shared house and tenants were coming and leaving after every few months. While I was leaving in there I noticed couple of times that after a tenant leaves the LL was painting that room and taking photos with an old fashioned film camera. The LL is a civil litigation lawyer. He also charged me £100 to reply to the reference email from letting agency while I was renting my new house.

Now it looks like that I'm not going to get my deposit back and that LL may abuse my bank details while he gets his hand on those. I also have to keep in mind that he himself is a civil litigation lawyer and may be very aware of what he's doing and exploiting the loopholes of the system.

Your help will greatly be appreciated.

Hi, hope the following helps you to help all us here on CAG...

- What's the date you left?

- The Landlord said he said he'd return the deposit in 30 days, when does the 30 days expire?

You've already been chasing him, he's not replying, so -

- are you in England/Wales?

- was your tenancy an AST (Assured Shorthold Tenancy)?

- was your deposit 'protected'? (Don't ask the Landlord, post back here if uncertain)

- were you provided with an Inventory and/or Schedule of Condition when you moved in?

- did you acknowledge the same at the time?

- do you have an address / email address for the Landlord?

Also, did you leave the property clean and tidy when you left, or where there any issues arising during your short time there?

Once you've answered the questions above I'm sure others will be along to help out too. As rebel11 has also said, your Landlord's a Lawyer, so what... :)

Good luck though and hope this gets sorted soon

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here :-)

- What's the date you left?

I left the place on 1st week of december.

- The Landlord said he said he'd return the deposit in 30 days, when does the 30 days expire?

I texted him my address after I left the property. I was chasing him to pick up my letters which I believe were delivered in that address. I also wanted to confirm that if he had recieved my address so I get the money in time.

- are you in England/Wales? England

- was your tenancy an AST (Assured Shorthold Tenancy)?

I think so, I've to dig out the agreement papers to find out. Note that I lived in that address for 4 months only and I mentioned to LL that I'd be living in this address only for few months until I settle down in my new job and find a better place.

- was your deposit 'protected'? (Don't ask the Landlord, post back here if uncertain)

I'm not sure if it was protected. But I didn't recieve any details about this from the LL. I only came to know about TDS while I was moving out of this place and renting my current place.

- were you provided with an Inventory and/or Schedule of Condition when you moved in?

Nope

- did you acknowledge the same at the time?

No inventory was given to me.

- do you have an address / email address for the Landlord?

I've his mobile number, email address.

Also, did you leave the property clean and tidy when you left, or where there any issues arising during your short time there?

Yes, while I was leaving, LL's representative was present and he didn't raise any objection. I left the property couple of days late as I was supposed to due to bad weather. But I informed him about this and he didn't object. I'm not sure if it's an issue or not.

Hi, if you have an email address, but have only texted him at the moment then how about emailing him to say:

"Dear NAME,

I left ADDRESS on the DATE. You kindly said that you would return my deposit of £AMOUNT within 30 days. I have sent texts to you on HIS MOBILE NUMBER, but have not heard back from you as yet. I hope that all is well.

I also fully appreciate that you may be away over the Christmas break, so, in order to assist, please will you confirm to me when you have made the transfer, so that I may keep an eye out for it. For ease of reference my Bank details are DETAIL OF BANK ACCOUNT ie NAME/ACCOUNT/SORTCODE ETC

In addition, I also texted you to say that there is post there for me. I should be grateful if you could forward it to me at NEW ADDRESS, or let me know if there is a mutually convenient time when I may come and collect whatever post is there. Perhaps you could let me know?

When I left the property your representative advised me that he was happy with the conditon of the property, but if you should have any queries of your own please do not hesitate to contact me.

In the meantime should like to wish Seasons Greetings and look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

NAME"

Be prepared for him to make a deduction from your deposit for the extra few days rent, perhaps, but first see what his response is to the email! Keep it simple, for now, and give him the opportunity to resolve this, without you giving too much away at this stage

I'm not a lawyer ;) and wouldn't pretend to be, but hope that helps all the same

Good luck too

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all...hope you all had a nice christmas.

My LL didn't reply me anything. I tried to ring him a few times but he's not picking up. Now what's the next step shall I take?

Thanks and wish you all a very happy new year.