poms in oz and NZ

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4856 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Interested to HEAR from poms in Oz and NZ who owe credit card debt in the UK, the kind of amounts and how long it’s been. I was one of the ones who thought I’d be immediately arrested on arrival when I went back for a wedding or when the debt collectors finally tracked me down in Australia I’d be in a whole world of trouble.

I ended up with debt because we had just had a baby, money was really tight and I started using my Barclaycard in OZ. I kept up with the repayments for a year and a half but in the end it became too much. Last time I made a payment was the beginning of 2006. The amount was about 4600. My parents in uk recieved odd phone calls and I got a weird txt from aussie lawyers/ debt collectors.

Just be nice to hear other's tales of credit card woe.

Nick, if you have a few hours to spare, try Expat focus http://www.expatfocus.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=173

Before CAG also took up the fight, that was pretty much the only place for unbiased, non-judgemental advice for expats with o/s debt (esp those in Aus & NZ) and there are many, many such happily resolved "tales of woe".

Enjoy.

We have been here in nz for 4 years, but stopped paying 1year and a few months ago.. 2 credit cards and 2 OD in myself and hubbys own names.

So far all thats happened is that we have received about 10 letters for various DCAs all computer generated etc, nothing with any weight... .. We tried contacting the bank directly but to no avail.. they totally ignored us! Now holding out waiting for it to be stat barred! We do how ever know our rights and have consulted a soltictor here to make sure and are happy with the advice they have given us :D

been in NZ for years and years.

owed about 5K over a card and an OD

Used to get computer threato grams.. but they have all stopped. The debts are now statue barred.

Had a guts full of student loans not sending me deferment foms and then trying to charge me more etc

so this year i thought "bugger it" and have refused to even speak to them as they lost my deferment again..

so far a few calls to a phone line i monior for this purpose (VOip line) and a regular set of letters asking me to get in touch..

in 5 yrs.. they will be stat barred as well..

nothing from any NZ based company.. nothing from Baycorp.. still get credit over here no bother.. not that i want any..!

Used to get computer threato grams.. but they have all stopped. The debts are now statue barred.

Had a guts full of student loans not sending me deferment foms and then trying to charge me more etc

so this year i thought "bugger it" and have refused to even speak to them as they lost my deferment again..

so far a few calls to a phone line i monior for this purpose (VOip line) and a regular set of letters asking me to get in touch..

nothing from any NZ based company.. nothing from Baycorp.. still get credit over here no bother.. not that i want any..!

My partner had a very senior role in one the big collection companys in Oz. 5K to them is peanuts. They are chasing people who borrowed millions. She find's it strange they are trying to locate me for such a small amount. I've only recieved a txt message.

But then again they buy huge portfolio's of debt for peanuts so if they can find you and scare you into paying it's very profitable. This site is a godsend. I never knew my rights. Always felt awful that I got into debt and thought I'd be tracked down and forced to pay.

• 1 month later...

My husband and i reside in NZ (I am a kiwi) but racked up debt in the UK. Around £17 000..it is ofcourse not ideal but we are trying not to let this debt effect our life it is difficult and so much nicer if we didnt owe it. Unfotunately we made the mistake of paying a token payment last November (after two years of not paying them anything) so am kicking myself over that. I wouldnt be worried but as we have a house there and hubbys parents rent it (and have no idea or our financial problems) we are feeling like 'sitting ducks'...having said that - at least the weather is lovely here = have to look at the positives. I think aside from the financial woes leaving the UK was the best thing for us.