Deposit deductions

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I moved out of a property over 2 weeks ago and after trying for some time to get hold of my landlord I did eventually get an amount out of him last night as to what he proposed to deduct form my deposit.

1. A £50 charge for repainting a "dirty" wall, which he has now reduced to £25 as he got his workmen to fix it he said. This wall was covered in damp and mould; something which I have been trying to ask him to sort out for over 2 years.

2. £295 to replace carpets in the 2 bedrooms, one has an iron burn and the other a paint mark. These carpets were nowhere near new when I moved in and are not in very good condition at all.

I have refused to pay for the dirty wall, however with the carpets I'm not sure what to do. I asked him the age of the carpets and got the resopnse "you want to know the condition of the carpets, I advise you to look to your inventory". I just have and nowhere is the condition of the carpets mentioned except to say 'bedroom, floor covering: carpet' and that is it. What should I do, I offered to pay half based on the age of the carpets which he rejected.

No check out was ever done although my tenancy agreement states it should of been and I was to be present, and he has implied that if I do kick up a fuss he will "do a full check out report" so in other words find ways to keep the whole £485.

If I go to TDS as I damaged the carpet will I have a leg to stand on?

Many thanks

Emma