Redundancy Sticks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4949 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Thought I'd share with you my redundancy story and see what you all think.

In Nov 2009 I was offered a job as a receptionist in an confrenece centre. I was asked if I minded working for Christians on my second interview. They then informed me that a church rented a room in the centre and regulary held things in the centre plus the centre was used for Church services every Sunday. But as I was informed that I was been employed by the confrence centre and I did not see this as a problem, so I excepted the job.

This was a part time job of 20 hrs per week, but as the other receptionist was working her notice they asked me to work full time over December. Which I agreed to.

I started 3 Dec 2009.

Then discovered that EVERY1 else employed by the centre attented the church par the caretaker (but his brother was highly involved with the church as a pastor and very well thought of).

I soon found that I was been asked to work when there was a church events on. I was oftenverbally abused behind the desk by people who attended the church and events when they discovered I did not attend the Church "how can the church employ some1 that isn't a christian or goes to church". I never mentioned my faith to these people, they just knew that I did not attend the church.

They stepped up their campaign to get me to join. Inviting me to events and then asking if my daughter would like to attend the sunday school. All of which I poliently declinded.

Then 5 months later the centre was failing to make money, so I was made redundant. Only me I may add. The other receptionist (who is a youth leader in the church) stayed. Even though she started after me. When I challanged this they said it was bescause she could work in the coffee shop!

I was never paid for overtime although I was told I had to do the overtime, I was paid time in lieu (which was impossiable to take off and you ended up losing it as you hadn't be able to take it). My rota often had 30 + hours on yet I only wanted to work 20 hours as I have a small child.

I have since discovered that the receptionist who stayed, hours were increased since I left. When I challanged this with the confrence manager (also a pastor) I was informed that none of her extra hours were paid and it was mostly voluteers that covered reception now.

I think it all stinks!

On a plis I have since found a job that I love. xx

Edited by cerberusalert

Hi

I read this when you first posted it and didn't think it fair at all. I was looking at the dates of everything and concluded that if it was against any law it could possible be the Equality Act 2006. (The new Equality Act 2010 came into force 1.10.10)

Anyway, am I the only one (apart from yourself) that thinks this is reverse discrimination or rather Religious Discrimination because of a LACK of religious belief? See link http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/advice-and-guidance/your-rights/religion-and-belief/

Look at sections 44 and 45 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/3/contents

This is now superceded by the Equality Act 2010

Don't know legal time limits but if it is anything like other discrimination matters it is 6 months from date of dismissal..... so you must be very close to it already if not over.

We do have an employment master on here so hopefully she will pick up on this thread.

They told me not to come back into work from the end of May but my official leaving date was the end of June. Alot of friends and family think that I should have seen a solicitor about it as it does seem that when redundancies were needed they looked straight to me as I was not 'one of them'.

Thanks for your reply

The Equality Act does not apply retrospectively - but this may have qualified as religious discrimination on the basis of faith (atheists are covered!). But it's rather moot. Out of time to make a claim, can't prove any of it, and well under a years employment - so no unfair dismissal or redundancy rights.

Believe me if I told people what I have seen and what goes on behind the scenes at that company/Church you would not believe me!

My hubby and family were very shocked by some of the things I told them . My mother in law is religious, she goes to Chapel every week and helps raise funds doing raffles etc. When I told her about the goings on she was deeply shocked and saddened that a 'church' could do what they do.

Hello there.

You might have signed a secret form, but if as papasmurf says there are 'fiscal irregularities', then I personally would rat on them to HMRC who would be very interested. The 'church' would have no way of knowing who did it, could be a disgruntled church member for all they know.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

They had people down on their books that weren't working there. They regularly took donations (some for very high amounts) even though they do not have Charity Status.

They also have a nursery on-site both private and public. They have started turning people away from their nursery unless they attend the church.

They promised the council when they were granted permission to build the conference centre (and received grants) that it would create atleast 20 jobs with more to follow, which it has, but all employees are members of the church.

They never actually wanted it to be a conference centre they originally asked for permission to build a church which the council refused.

They had people down on their books that weren't working there. They regularly took donations (some for very high amounts) even though they do not have Charity Status.

Sounds very much to me that they are money laundering. The regular donations being the 'dirty money' and the fake employees being the means to get the money back out into the world clean. That money must go somewhere, so I assume the fake employees have fake bank accounts and that money then is forwarded to the origin. Interesting that a 'church' is the instrument and that they are so tight. Any bank managers in the congregation?

Have you thought of contacting the Police or HMRC? Sounds very much as if there should be an investigation and sometimes the 'in' starts with some low level ex employee who has relevant information is just what they need. Is that something you would want to do?

Hello again. Papasmurf, that's an interesting take, not quite what I was told about money-laundering. I thought to be money-laundering, it had to be funds from criminal or dodgy activities. But you may know more than I do. What if they're genuine donations?

Laalinz, I really think you should consider what papasmurf and Callumsgran said and report them to HMRC, for either money-laundering or maybe tax and NI evasion, I don't know yet. Do you know who the donations were from? HMRC have information about reporting suspected fraud, etc on their website and guarantee you anonymity. You can fill in a form online or speak to them or write if on due reflection you think it's the right thing to do.

SarEl or someone with legal knowledge, would the secrecy clause mentioned earlier be enforceable now? And if it really is fraudulent activity would that make it invalid? I'm just guessing.

My best, HB

Edited by honeybee13
forgot papasmurf, sorry. x

Illegitimi non carborundum

All the donations are from people who attend the Church.

I think I will let HMRC know that it might be worth investigating them. Like you say I don't have to give my name and they would never know it was me.

Something stinks with the whole thing.

They ask every1 in the church to gift them a thousand pond a year to 'help them grow'. Obviously not all will do it, due to financial circumstances but at lot of them do, they spread the payments out and pay monthly. I have seen the letters they send out to people saying your first payment of £83 is now due.

Hello again. Papasmurf, that's an interesting take, not quite what I was told about money-laundering. I thought to be money-laundering, it had to be funds from criminal or dodgy activities. But you may know more than I do. What if they're genuine donations?

Hi HB I was just surmising on laalinz's take about it all being dodgy. In my experience when good and honest people pick up on dodgy behaviour then generally they are right and something is amiss. Obviously we have very limited knowledge of events and can only ever guess at what is actually happening which is why an investigation of some sort is necessary from the authorities with power to look into it.

"Donations" could just be that all legal and above board. They could also be drug money, stolen money, organised crime eg prostitution in fact any manner of illegally obtained money. What is certain is that laalinz is sure that these are being diverted to people that are "fake employees" and that definitely is not right and the people donating the money do so for the good of the church not to line the pockets of the managers relations.

As there is a flow of cash coming in either properly or otherwise and is at the very least being diverted in a dishonest manner that is certainly a cause for concern. laalinz used the plural "managers" when describing the people where the money is being paid to ie spouses and adult children so that assumes at least 4 fake employees and probably more. 4 lots of wages annually seems like a considerable sum of money and it is likely to be more than that.

All told this seems to me to be a scandal in the making.... church, money, dishonesty, religious bigotry, what more is there oh yes sexual scandal but at least that hasn't been suggested as yet !!! Laalinz have we got a full house? ??? and are these "large" donations from law abiding citizens do you believe or not?

I don't think there is money laundering going on as such. But I do think they are deceiving honest Christian people. They think they are donating to a charity and this church (Cult) do not have charity status. Yes they do receive large donations (often left to them in peoples wills). One lady left them thousands which actually helped them build the Conference Centre/ Church.

All the Managers have family members on the books as taking a wage although not one of the did a minutes work in the building the whole 5 months I was there. I believe this is a tax fiddle.

No sex scandal that I am aware of so no.....no full house.