Potential Landlord wants to do Credit Check and Bank Check?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4992 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

We are having to move because our current landlord has decided he wants to sell the house.

He tried to con us into staying and paying rent until the house was sold by pretending the house sale was just a ploy for the bank, as if!

Another story!

Anyhow, we have found a house that may suit but have been told by the letting agents that they have to do a Credit Check with Experian and a 'bank check' and this costs US £20.00!!!!!!

Surely an estate agent is not allowed to access credit reports for potential renters, are they?

Does anyone know what info they are entitled to get on us, if any?

Our credit files are 'not good' at the moment due to hard times BUT we haven't missed a rent payment in 7 years which in my opinion is more apt!

I don't understand why the need for Experian and a Bank check, how on earth do you do a bank check?

To be honest I am of the opinion to tell the letting agency/Estate Agent to 'feck off' , the nerve of them wanting to write to our bank BUT we have to get a place quick!

Has anyone more info regarding this kind of nonsense?

I read on 'moneysavingexpert' that the Experian check is very limited and only shows certain info not defaults etc. can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

RoyalIrish

Frankly £20 is very cheap considering what some agents are charging for the same (up to £200!!!). When we have previously had a bank check done they write to the bank and get a letter in reply saying you are ok (not okay) for the monthly rent some it doesnt open up your bank account to them. Experian report you can look at yourself via the Experian website and they wont see more than you or write to them with a cheque for £3 and they will send it to you. It will certainly show up any defaults, missed payments, ccj's, etc.

Some landlords are doing as yours suggested (fake sale) but it is illegal and dodgy you are better off out of there.

This really isnt nonsense but industry common and done all the time - any new landlord or agent will want to do the same or more and probably cost you a lot more than the £20 suggested fee. It really is usual and normal and your getting it pretty cheap.

Thanks for the reply!

I also found out that the Letting Agent ALSO wants to see both our recent wage slips.

I now find this WAY too intrusive and will not be proceeding!

This is pretty much standard. And rightly so - at the end of the day, they are letting you take exclusive possession of property worth (no doubt) a 6 figure sum.

It would be negligent of them to NOT ask to see such things.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!