style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4994 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I declared myself bankrupt in Oct 09. I was actually discharged around 4 or so months ago.

I have a basic bank account with Coop. I tried to open a savings account, so i can start to put money away for the future. But when i applied for one it came back unsuccessful.

I wanted to know how long will it be before i can open a savings account? I would be happy to have a savings account even with no interest.

Thanks

If you have a credit union in your area, they may be able to help you

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

If your existing basic account allows bank transfers, you could open a second basic account elsewhere and transfer money into it that way.

Here is a link to the asscociation of credit unions and they have a link to help you find one near you

http://www.abcul.org/page/about/intro.cfm

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Thanks again.

Yep i can transfer money from my account. I guess i could open up another basic account, but i would have liked another account with the same bank.

Also previously i did try to open a basic account with barclays, who denied me. Now i am discharged does that increase my chances of applying for basic accounts and high rate credit cards to build credit?

Thanks

Getting credit cards is going to be harder and even the high charging ones might still turn you down.

Here is a link to a FSA handbook that could help you finad another basic account and it gives details on whether they will accept bankrupts or not.

http://www.moneymadeclear.org.uk/pdfs/bank_accounts.pdf

Thanks for that. I briefly went through that link and it was very helpful.

I'm not looking to take out a credit card yet. I would like to maybe towards the end of next year so i can start to build up my credit rating.

Thanks i will try the Yorkshire Bank, if i can find one close to me.

On another note, is it possible to open up 2 accounts with the same bank? As in i have a basic account with Coop and since i was unable to open a savings account, i was thinking of opening another basic account.