enchantrix

Uk debt moved abroad now planning to move back - really need advice!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3652 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi Everyone,

I really need some advice for my other half. I lived with my boyfriend in the UK and he had a loan for about £10,000 which he was chipping away at. He was making regular payments on it for a good 3 or 4 years. Life had a few ups and downs with one thing leading to another I was made redundant and we were both offered jobs in Southern Ireland. So we both moved over there. Before the move he changed his address with the bank he had the loan with in the UK to his parents address (they have actually now moved away from that address). We left the UK in May 2009. When we were in Ireland, he just forgot about the loan back in the UK and abandoned his UK bank account having opened a new bank account in Ireland.

I lost my job in Ireland and moved back to the UK in May 2010. My UK account although overdrawn and left untouched for a while, was still intact and I've just picked up where I left off. Now he is still in Ireland and we are talking about him moving back to the uk. He is really really worried about whats happened with his old UK bank account while hes been in Ireland. I dont think he set out purposely to get into this mess he was just a bit lazy and at the time it was easier to forget about the UK account than to sort it out.

He thinks when he comes back he will have to declare himself bankrupt.

He will need a bank account when he is back in the UK. Should he try contact his old bank when he comes back? Would he be able to get a new account or blacklisted. His Irish account is in good standing. He will be unemployed at first when he comes back and not have the money to afford to pay the amount owed.

I really need to find out the exact infomation about this because I think part of him is really scared to return incase something really bad happens and I miss him terribly.

What would be the best course of action in these circumstances?

Thanks for reading and any advice you can offer.

He thinks when he comes back he will have to declare himself bankrupt.
If his debts are less than £15K a DRO may be better Debt Relief Order - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
He will need a bank account when he is back in the UK. Should he try contact his old bank when he comes back?
He should open an a/c with a totally unrelated banking group otherwise they'll be able to offset monies from his a/c.
I really need to find out the exact infomation about this because I think part of him is really scared to return incase something really bad happens and I miss him terribly.
The worse case scenario is that they've obtained a CCJ against him using a previous UK address. If they have and it was more than 3 months after he left the UK he could apply to have it set aside. You can check online using his previous addresses at CCJs, court orders & fines - Search yourself and others - Trust Online but it costs £8.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT