Dealer registered MY new car..without having it!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As I said in an earlier post, a new car remains the property of the manufacturer until it's registered (In the case of Fiat/Alfa anyway). Before the car can be registered, the manufacturer has to 'release' it's documentation to enable it to be registerd with DVLA. Its at that point (the date of registration) that the manufacturer recognises the car as being sold and thus commences the warranty. In the case of a retail sale, it is very unsual for the registration and delivery dates to be different. If there are such cases, then it is the purchaser's responsibility for not collecting the car (unless there is a problem with it, then it becomes the manufacturers problem) and thus loosing the subsiquent period of warranty. I can remember only 1 such case where the customer had gone on holiday without informing us and his car was registered as arranged. We contacted him after 2 days whern he failed to turn up (car had been paid for) to collect his brand new Fiat Punto and discovered he was away for the next 10 days! We advised him that he should have asked us to register the car when he was due to return because his warranty clock had already started. I'm pretty sure this applies to all other manufacturers.

In my experience, the warranty comences on the date of registration which is deliberately made as the same date as delivery for that very reason.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Sorry Sam, with the vast majority of manufactuers, the Volkswagen group, the Ford group, BMW, M/Benz, Volvo, JLR it all starts on the date of delivery as per the extract from a manufactures Warranty manual.

In Scanias case, that seems to be a pre registered car in the name of the dealer so Scania will become the second owner as is technically a new used car. Therefore it will start from the registration date as is presumed to be a demo.

Having checked our service books and warranty info enclosed (Mitsubishi)It just say's 3 years from warranty start date.

I did check with Mitsi legal dept and they are adamant its from date of registration.

Also checked a peuguot I have in stock and that says from date of registration.

It would be rare for thease dates to be different and the only situation I can see would be to hit a end of month/Qtr target.

The customer should know the car will be registered early and should have some compensation for this (Free mats /tank of fuel etc).

Also we are only talking 5 to 10 days.

The dealer would need the customers insurance to tax the car so would be in agreement with whats being done.

Having checked our service books and warranty info enclosed (Mitsubishi)It just say's 3 years from warranty start date.

I did check with Mitsi legal dept and they are adamant its from date of registration.

Also checked a peuguot I have in stock and that says from date of registration.

It would be rare for thease dates to be different and the only situation I can see would be to hit a end of month/Qtr target.

The customer should know the car will be registered early and should have some compensation for this (Free mats /tank of fuel etc).

Also we are only talking 5 to 10 days.

The dealer would need the customers insurance to tax the car so would be in agreement with whats being done.

Pretty much the same as I said in my previous post although the OPs issue has now been resolved. But thanks for clearing this up.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.