• Tweets

• It is not as simple as you seem to suggest. 1. My wife needed the car and there are no local public transport facilities within 2 miles. 2 Neither of us has the technical expertise to change a battery. 3 Not only does the battery itself have to be appropriate for stop/start technology; but also, according to the handbook, has to be registered with Mini by a recognised agent, which I am not, neither is Big Motoring World. 4 The car had to be towed. Where was I going to have it towed to where I could be sure it would be properly dealt with? I couldn't trust Big Motoring World to do it. I couldn't have it towed to just any garage and be sure they had the right battery and the time to fit it. 5 The high sum involved is mainly for the diagnostic test which Big Motoring World asked me to obtain; and they did not initially raise any objection to the car being taken to the nearest main dealer. I would not have got the diagnostic test, if they had not asked for one. So, I understand where you are coming from, but having ignored requests for reimbursement, what else could I have done to recover my lay out?
    • Thank you FTMDave.  I'm happy to make your suggested changes.  I'll wait a day or 2 to see if any of the team have any other suggestions or feedback.  Do I then just email a copies to both UKPC and the court? Lookinforinfo - Unfortunately I am not sure if the signs have since been changed and cannot recall seeing any on the night as it was dark.   
    • The US confirmed it revoked licences allowing the export of some goods to Chinese tech giant.View the full article
    • I can't imagine that EVRi will want a judgement against them on this and based on this argument. I reckon you have a better than 90% chance that they will try to reach out to you before the trial date. They know that what they are doing is thoroughly wrong and dishonest and contrary to law. They are following this thread, of course – and they've already seen this witness statement. I imagine that they are scrabbling around trying to understand how they can extricate this without using too much face. I suppose they will make an offer to you which is a few quid short of your claim in order to say that they were justified in being stupid. Hold out for every penny. It's your money and you deserve it. It's not their money and they don't deserve it
    • New paragraph 47 – If you insert that – and move everything else down then I think you are good to go. Well done on going through the mill on this but it looks pretty good
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

ebay motors - I refused to purchase

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5021 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi - love the site.

I recently bid on a 1966 car (advertised as ideal for restoration). The car was not in mint condition and was advertised as being owned for three years and had been used as a reference for another rebuild. I bid over two days and won at a cost of £560.

On going to pay and to see if I could tow the car, I was pretty disgusted at the condition. It was far worse than the pictures displayed. The lower part of the car (sills, floor, suspension joints) were completely rotted away. As I touched parts of the body work piles of rust built up on the floor. The spare parts were not of serviceable condition. The vehicle was in much more of a worse condition than I imagined from the ebay ad. It appeared that at sometime the complete rear end had been stitched on from another car. I had to think hard about refusing to pay for the car. I did have three other people with me who all agreed. All the alarm bells in my head started to ring.

Now I am being threatened with court action if I don't pay and collect the vehicle. He even proudly informed me that he discussed this with his solicitor over dinner. His argument is that we had a contract and that the car was advertised for restoration (however, no mention was made of the severity of decay of the car, when I phoned asking if it was towable, he replied probably not as the tyres were dodgy.) I went with the intention to purchase the car I had the cash in my pocket and a tow rope in the car, I had also arranged for a recovery vehicle for later in the week if I couldn't tow it back. I have now also been accused of breaking a boot hinge during my inspection, however the car was in such a bad state I can't see how this was unavoidable or if it was already broken.

I did have the intention to purchase, but the condition was so bad. I feel that his ad should have reflected more accurately the condition of the vehicle. I could have purchased the vehicle to restore but I would have always have the niggling thought that I was conned.

Help please, where do I stand?

If you are satisfied that it doesn't match the descriptin that you are under no obligation to pay. In fact if you think that he has mislead you then you would be entitled to sue him to make good the value of the car which he has sold you.

I suggest that you write to him and explain exactly the discrepancies between the car and the description. Make it very detailed so that the position is clear in case he goes to court.

Separately you should calculate how much value is missing from the car - meaning that how much more would it have been worth had it been as described, or alternatively how much extra money would it have cost you to have brought it up to match its descrption. Be very reasonable and moderate about this.

If he continues to threaten then tell him that you are prepared to let it go and walk away from the contract even though he has mis-desribed the item. Tell him that if he insists on bring a legal action that you will counterclaim to the missing value of the car as it is he who is in breach, not you.

Be very sure that he really has misdescribed the car and it isn't simply a case that you realised that you had taken on rather more than you had expected.

Hi Carlp

Minor point, send all correspondence recorded, I suppose as he thinks he's supposedly spoken to a solicitor, you could CC it to any solicitors you might know, if you feel comfortable doing that. Keep a diary-dates/times.

Infact, this could be a 'con' to extract money from people, could anybody reasonably expect to restore that car? The price looks attractive, but it sounds like a 'shell' car. Maybe do a bit more digging.

Thanks for the replies.

I am an honest person, so feel bad by not following through with the 'auction'. I knew that the car would be rough and it was going to be a restoration project for me to carry out. The problem is how do you determine a level of restoration? In my opinion, the car would require total restoration as the rot was so extensive. I was also concerned as he is a private lister, but on arrival said that he also ha a Volvo for sale and the previous week had sold a Mini which was in worse condition.

Is acceptable to just say 'for restoration', leaving out the severity of the car's condition?

thanks again carl

yes, this is it.

First things first: This Sprite will only include the hartop if the bidding goes over £575.

If it doesn't, the hardtop will be sold separately.

Here is your chance to get yourself a good restoration project Sprite with no reserve! I have had this car for 3 years, originally buying it as a reference to help me put my other one back together (long story, no time for it here). I had intentions to restore this vehicle, but 3 years down the road and I haven't even started it. Rather than let it continue to sit there, I have decided to auction it and let someone else have at it. I have left the hardtop in place as it helps to protect the interior, although as stated above this will only go with the vehicle if the bidding goes over £575.

All in all it's not too bad, I've seen far worse get restored. As you can see in the last pic there's a load of bits that come with the car. The engine ran when I got the car, although it was pretty rough as it had old fuel in it. I moved it into place on the drive and shut it off. The buyer will need a trailer to move it, as there is obviously no MOT on the vehicle.

Thats pretty much it, any questions just ask. If you want any pics of specific bits of the car just ask.

Carl

Take an actual screenshot of the site in case he edits it. What you see on your screen is the picture that'll be saved so you'll have to scroll to the relevant parts then press the Ctrl & Prnt Scrn buttons on your keyboard down together, open 'Paint' from your start menu & then click 'Edit' then click 'Paste' an image of the website will then appear. Click 'File' then 'Save As' and then save as a jpeg file.

You will then have a permanent record of the advert. ;)

This is the message he sent me.

Dear carlp1962,

This matter is far from "resolu". I have just had dinner with my lawyer, during which we discussed this situation. As it stands these are the facts:

The vehicle was described as a "restoration project" which it most definately is. If it only needed some t-cut, or a new interior, it would have been listed as such, and sold for much more.

The auction ran for 10 days, timed to go over 2 weekends so that any potential buyers could come and view the car.

It was made clear in the listing that if any potential buyers had any questions, they could ask them. You never asked any questions.

It was made clear in the listing that any potential buyers could request further pictures of any specific parts of the vehicle. You did not request any.

It was made clear in the listing that the buyer should bring a trailer as the vehicle had no MOT and could not be driven on the road. You did not bring a trailer.

The vehicle is 44 years old, and a 5 minute check through the VOSA site would show that it has not been on the road for several years.

During your visit I willingly used my own fuel, and dirtied my hands changing the battery to allow you to see the engine running. I had no obligation to do this, but did so as it was the decent thing. During your visit I was also aware that your inspection resulted in a broken hinge joint on the hardtop.

Given the English climate, and the fact that the listing stated that it had been on my drive for 3 years, I'm not entirely sure why you expected the vehicle to be in a much better condition than it is.

Under Ebay policy, when you win an auction you enter a legally binding contract to buy the item. You are not bidding to come and "kick tyres".

As I am confident that the description of the vehicle is accurate, I therefore consider you to be in breach of contract.

The advice I have been given is that at the moment your cheapest option is to organise a trailer, pick up the vehicle that you won, and pay for it. I await your reply.

Just report it to Ebay, they have a telephone helpline and say "Item was significantly not as described", having been an Ebayer for years I also think (but not sure) it is illegal to list an item on Ebay and then provide the top if the bidding goes high enough. You either sell it as a complete part or as two separate, it cannot be a condition of the sale that the bid must reach a certain amount as then he should have put a reserve price on it (which would have cost him a couple of pound to do). Sounds like a total [problem]. Just report it he will get his fees refunded by ebay and you do not have to continue with it. You can also cancel under the distance selling regulations. Dont give in to him.

Thanks for the advice.

This has put me from using ebay completely.

I restore classic cars as an hobby so I know what to look out for. I would have bought it if the description was more honest. However, i thought you cheeky git!

Not everybody has the same morals.

Thanks for the advice Googleymugley.

Have contacted ebay and surprisingly they were very helpful. They have recorded my concerns and agree that I had a case not to follow through with the 'sale'. Have now sent him a message informing him of the two options recommended by ebay:

1. cancel the transaction, or

2. enter a case in resolution.

I reiterated my reasons and kept away from replying to his threats of legal action. I also stated that I would not communicate any further unless it is through ebay's resolution centre.

Thanks again, now lets see what happens next.

Glad to see you contacted Ebay, have used the service before and although it can be slow they have always come down in my favour. Just a thought for the future NEVER NEVER pay cash for anything you purchase from Ebay always try to use Paypal. They have their own systems in place to get the money back off the Seller.

It gives you an protection with Ebay in case things go wrong after purchase but it also give you protection with Paypal for purchases upto £500. Ebay refund quicker than paypal. I only give cash if its local, not electrical and I can see it and check it before paying. (Example once purchased crystal for £150, when seller brought it to me there was a tiny chip on the bottom so we agreed to do a deal for £100. If I had found the chip later and the Seller had gone nobody would have given me any kind of refund. Was unknown damage to the Seller.

You've done the right thing in involving eBay and I highly doubt he'll sue. If he does you have a good case anyway. The only reason he's getting hot under the collar is that he knows that pile of junk isn't worth anything and now he has to try and shift it again!