Cat C car purchased at garage unroadworthy!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5043 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I purchased a car for my brother in January from a small garage.

The car was declared as Cat C and had all the paper work. The dealer showed me some minor damage - scratches etc.

The car went in for its MOT and a wheel bearing and to check a knocking noise coming from the back wing and my mechanic has informed us the car is unroadworthy.

It appears that their is a crack underneath the car which runs from the back wheel arch to the passenger door, this has just been filled and not welded and also the same with the back wing - needed welding and has only been filled. That explained the knocking - it was two bits of the car banging togther!

My mechanic said he can fix it and it just needs welding but will cost over £500.

Can you advise me who to contact - seller - DVLA?

I'm at a loss as to know what to do and any advice would be appreciated muchly :)

Thanks

You need to contact the seller ASAP, as being inside the 6 months will make the job easier.

Not that you should need to prove that the fault was there when you bought it, but if you are within 6 months it is assumed.

I would contact the garage, and ask them to fix the car, at no cost to you, as the car was not roadworthy when sold.

Do you have copies of the ad for the car, or the info you were given about it?

Thanks for replying!

The car was advertised on Autotrader with the garage details and we went to see it the same day.

I have the MOT, Receipt of purchase and HPi check i completed myself just before i purchased the car. It says Cat C on it so i know DVLA are aware and it has passed the VIC. The garage told me it had had a crash and the door was affected but didn't say there were any further problems. Really concerned they sold a car in this condition and even more so that my little brother has been driving round in an unsafe car since January!

I'm going to contact the seller now and see what he has to say for himself. Its a small independent garage but i don't suppose that should make a difference?