Bodywork repairs following accident - paint match

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4629 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Got a classic 1987 mini cooper in mint condition. Well, it was until

someone ran into the back of it in a car park when it was parked.

Anyway, off it went to the bodyshop recommended by the insurer. Got it

back yesterday.

Very poor paint job. Its now blatantly obvious that the back has been

resprayed but not the whole car.

Spoke to my insurance company who said that they could not expect the

3rd partys insurer to pay for a complete respray and that this was

sometimes the problem with older cars.

Seems a bit unfair. So now I've got a car with not matching paintwork

due to an accident that blatantly wasnt my fault.

Surely, this is not right. Shouldnt the 3rd party or their insurer be

liable to restore the car to its original condition regardless of

whether it requires a complete respray?

They would not respray the whole car and couldnt be expected to. But they should have reprayed it to a good enough standard. If you car is red or a non standard colour then they can be a knightmare to match but even then the panels should have been blended in so as to look good.

The problem is the insurance company cutting corners. Take it back to the body shop and cmplain in the first instance. You might have a case for further damages if you can show a loss of value after the paint work

They would not respray the whole car and couldnt be expected to. But they should have reprayed it to a good enough standard. If you car is red or a non standard colour then they can be a knightmare to match but even then the panels should have been blended in so as to look good.

The problem is the insurance company cutting corners. Take it back to the body shop and cmplain in the first instance. You might have a case for further damages if you can show a loss of value after the paint work

I agree they couldnt be expected to unless they really have to. But, at the end of the day I've got a right to have the car back with matching paintwork.

Went back to garage to complain and they said, yes, it doesnt match. It looks like the back end has been resprayed but thats all the insurance company would pay for.

Phoned insurance company and they say they said that the 3rd parties insurance co will only pay for repairs to the damaged area and not a complete respray. I argued that now it doesnt match and they said it even though it was unfair it was tough luck...

Surely, this cant be right. Surely I've got a right to have car repaired to how it was before the accident? Remember this was a show quality classic car....

I guess my only option now is to go to FOS and see what they say? No idea where I stand legally.

I must admit I wish I hadnt even gone through my insurers and gone straight to the third party. Thay way I could have argued with them directly.

Wonder if I still have the option to sue the third party or their insurers directy to get the car back to its original condition? Seems like all these insurers are in each others pockets and look after each other....

• 1 year later...

no excuse for mismatched paint these days, they all do spectrograpic matching on the existing paint; and can match any colour.

had mine done last year, but it was a shade wrong so they did it again and got it right, did not even have to tell them, they admitted did not do spec on correct bit.