Sky Plus Box Problems

Missykay
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4969 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya everyone,

I got a Sky plus box last year oct since i got have had to call them out so many times to repair it luckily it is within the warranty so dont have to pay for the callouts but dreading how to resolve it once the warranty runs out and might have to cancel and only watch five channels :lol:. I have not been given a working box from the beginning so dont feel why i should have to pay for the callouts in future. In the last two weeks had two recycled boxes which is annoying as i have lost all my programmes and having to set the prog again really gettin annoyed. Has anyone had any probs with their boxes and have they managed to resolve the issue with Sky amicable ?

i am fed up with the stupid box it is worser then the old one i had. Also been told that my phone is too close to the tv which interferes with the signal thus i have alot of music channels not working esp Kiss channel which i luv so where else can i move the phone if the phone socket is there :mad:

any ideas how to resolve this ??? :-?

They tried charging me an £80 call out fee so I threatened to move to VIRGIN they came out a sorted it.

Have they checked the LNB on the dish this turned out to be the problem with mine.

If your phone needs moving to other side of room you can ether fit an extension to other side or just get an extension cable which you can pick up cheap enough from poundland or the 99p store.

Oh and do not fall for there trap of trying to sell you insurance as its not needed they will soon come out to you if you ask to be put though to cancellations

They will ask why you want to leave so just tell them why they will then offer to come out free of charge to sort out the problems.

They want your money

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

thanks for your reply i live in a area where we dont have cable so are there any other alternatives who off sevices like Sky ? as i always assumed that because of no cables around here we were kinda stuck with them.

Have you looked at BT or considered FREESAT

With freesat there is no monthly charges you just pay for the equipment and thats it

Edited by pompeyfaith

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Is that a commercial link :rolleyes::)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

With freesat no dish is required as it uses the same sky dish so you just plug it in and away you go.

opps sorry maroondevo ill take it down

Have you looked at BT or considered FREESAT

With freesat there is no monthly charges you just pay for the equipment and thats it

with FREESAT how much wud it cost initially ?

with this service i wud prob have to get a warranty rite ?

how reliable is it ? do u knw ?

i am assuming BT wud be quite deer ?

Freesat you just but the box from an electrical store like you would a tv.

As for warranties no doubt they would try and sell you one but they are not compulsory it is personal choice if you don't want one don't buy one.

Also remember the SOGA covers you beyond the manufacturers guarantee

Just stick freesat in the search engine and research it :-)

there is a little truth in WI-FI / Bluetooth / Dect Phones / Mobile Phones causing problem with other electronic devices inc PC's and TV's

but it is rare, but it can happen

some of the donts

dont place the wifi router on top of PC case , or next to a TV

dont leave the mobile phone close to a TV , or computer / computer speakers

Dect phones ( modern walk about phone ) as in the above

because all the device transmit RF they can affect other electronic devices

as for the phone causing problems to the TV signal , it will / can cause problem, E.G, very short burst of interferance , as the phone every 3 - 5 min's will log onto the local cell to identify its location

I wont bore everyone with the tech details of why it happens

cue DX100uk :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by kiptower

no sorry

someone put chalk on me 'ed and its made me brain fuzzy.........

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi ..My sky is insured for any breakages..im insured with Domestic and General...they work on behalf of sky and are a genuine company..It cost £8.08 a month so isnt expensive,,and that covers everything to do with sky ..contol boxs ,dish ,cables EVERYTHING ..:)

so thats ruffly the cost of your equipment over a year good value NOT

How long have you been paying this and have you call out an engineer yet?

May only be £8 a mth but have you worked out the total cost thus far against call outs id say you are paying over the odds PF

those people with Freesat have you had any probs wit them ? also have u had them for a long time ? or is it fairly new ?

I think i will definitely consider moving

do u think it is worth writing a compaint letter to Sky or is it just a waste time as not likely to get any response ?

Thread moved :)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Pompey..Its the same has all insurances ..they all rip you off..But ive got peace of mind having Sky insurance..I know i end up paying for it over and over ..BUT id rather pay £8.08 per month than having to find a call out charge and repairs to me Sky box if it went wrong..

If i add up all that my car insurance company hav add out of me in the last 24 years and NO CLAIMS i could of brought me self a roller

Been paying it 12 mths and called them out twice ..Hav a Brand New Box now..That would of cost heaps more without the insurance

BUT id rather pay £8.08 per month than having to find a call out charge and repairs to me Sky box if it went wrong..

Babydoll that's just it there is no need to pay those call out charges because sky want your business if they try and charge you, you just ask to be put though to cancellations.

It works everytime they would rather come out free and carry out repairs etc than lose your business.

Ok they only replace with a reconditioned unit instead of new but a reconditioned one is as good as

I have had my latest box which is reconditioned now for 2 years and its still going strong.

As for motor insurance with due respect that is a different kettle of fish as that includes third party cover which if you claim can run into thousands.

Warranty cover on many electrical products is a total rip off as 9 times out of 10 the product will be very reliable and indeed it would be better and cheaper to just replace it.

Also remember the sale of goods act comes into play here to which safe guards you for far longer than a manufacturer warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

First off all, whats problems are you experiencing with your Sky? From what you have mentioned about the phone causing interference that sounds like a load of old clap trap to me, I have a Wi-Fi router and a DECT phone sat right on top of my Sky HD box and never have a problem with it.

Freesat is the same as Freeview but transmitted over satellite rather than through an aerial. It is a one off purchase for the box, if you already have an existing Sky dish then you can connect it to this and it should work absolutely fine. You are under no contract and there are no monthly fee's, but there are NO extra channels available at the moment, only the basic free to air ones.

If you connect it to your existing dish and then in the future, doesnt matter if its 1 minute or 100 years later, you have a problem with the signals, you are responsible for sorting out the problem, unless the reciever has gone faulty and it is still under warranty.

If you purchase a complete system and installation then the works should be warrantied for the first 12 months.

Basically, if you are having problems with Sky, and they have changed the box several times and you are experiencing exactly the same fault everytime, then you are either really unlucky getting a box with an identicaly fault each time, or there is something else wrong somewhere. if the problem is with the dish/LNB/Cable run, then you WILL probably experience a similar problem with Freesat.

Post what problems you are experiencing and I will see if I can help you figure out what is wrong with your system.

• 2 months later...

after having so many recycled boxes and then change of cable complained to them in writing and now they gave me a HD box but dont have a HD tv unfortunately :sad: but i got all my channels back yaaayyy. thanks for everyones advice :-D