From Wescot To ScotCall...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5083 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello again,

this was the initial thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/252533-being-mailed-wescot-debt.html

Now new developments: Wescot wrote to me saing that the debt I referred to in that thread (that said debt wasn't mine) has been closed and sent back to the water company, so that was an excellent result thanks to the Consumer Forums. :)

However, the debt's now been picked up by ScotCall, so I can only presume either somebody somewhere has nothing better to do with their lives than pick up random debts, or somebody at the water company hasn't updated their records to say that this debt is effectively unrecoverable.

. I've sent the standard "I know nothing about this" letter to ScotCall telling them to basically get lost, however I'm in two minds as to whether to make official complaints to either the water company or Ofwat, or even Trading Standards or the FSA. The water company acknowledges that I, as the current tenant, do not owe this debt.

The thing with ScotCall (and Fredrickson come to that) is they don't acknowledge anything you send them. At least Wescot said they're investigating it, which is more than ScotCall (for other disputed debts) ever did, which is why I feel making an official complaint to them is about as much good as a chocolate teapot.

So I suppose the next question is, having sent the stock letter, if they (or any other debt company on this issue for that matter) continue to write for this specific debt, what do I do please? Thanks in advance.

Guest Cartaphilus

I note from that thread, too, it was a previous tenant's debt ...

However, the debt's now been picked up by ScotCall, so I can only presume either somebody somewhere has nothing better to do with their lives than pick up random debts, or somebody at the water company hasn't updated their records to say that this debt is effectively unrecoverable

Are they directing their mail to you by name or whomever the last tenant was? Also, where does Frederickson now figure in all this? It's not your debt so ... I am unsure why you are getting involved with it, it's not your responsibility to sort out. I would tend to ignore any mail not addressed to you directly and simply not get involved in any of it. This is why perhaps Scotcall has now become involved.

I've had debts addressed to about six different names at this address so it's anybody's guess as to what on earth what was going on here before I moved in. I suspect the majority of the names that these companies now have were fabricated in order to get credit so whether any of these people actually exist is probably debatable, but I can't prove anything and I'll probably never know for sure.

Fredrickson was a simple moan on my part. They're not involved in this one. Yet.

Guest Cartaphilus

Yes, I also get countless names (in fact one of the previous tenants where I used to live I actually know exactly where she lives and has lived since courtesy of her name appearing in the newspaper ... It's really par for the course with rental properties. People move, they leave debts behind; usually to avoid paying them and leaving them behind for the new tenant to face all the post (however it does eventually catch up with them however long it takes).

I would actually ignore anything they've been sending and carry on sending it back 'not at this address'. It's utterly Wetcloths, Scuttlecall's responsiblity to trace where these people are now. I should think that they would look extremely foolish if they tried to take you to court anyway for someone elses debt ... It's usually pretty normal for example to get mail at a new address (I am told that where I used to live at my parental home - they've been dead for years - the people living there still get junk mail for them).

fabricated in order to get credit so whether any of these people actually exist is probably debatable, but I can't prove anything and I'll probably never know for sure.

Yes, that also happens as well unfortunately. All the more reason not to get involved. However, how many have lived at that property over the years? Could be just as simple as that. Edited by Cartaphilus

The thing with ScotCall (and Fredrickson come to that) is they don't acknowledge anything you send them. At least Wescot said they're investigating it, which is more than ScotCall (for other disputed debts) ever did, which is why I feel making an official complaint to them is about as much good as a chocolate teapot.

I wrote to Scotcall about letters sent to my address in error and they responded saying that they wouldn't bother me anymore. I did send by recorded delivery and threatened to report them to the OFT, if I didn't get a reply.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread