style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5068 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an old debt from a local government employees credit union that I am being chased for. its in the order of £200. At the time that I left employment and moved away i didn't leave a forwarding address. I totally forgot about the credit union and would have been able to pay off the debt along with all the others I paid off at the time with cash realised from the sale of my house.

A few months ago an old friend from work got in touch with me through facebook. After a few pleasant exchanges of messages he told me that he was now an officer of the credit union and he'd been asked to chase me for the owed money. Since then he has got increasingly threatening, and while he doesn't have an address or telephone number for me, he did get my email address from my facebook page. To me it would appear that he has not acted in good faith in this regard.

Also, he has been in touch with my local council and as I have a fairly distinctive surname he is now claiming that he will send letters to an address my council have given him. They have only given him an address attached to my surname because of data protection but there are several members of my family living in the area. He has threatened to write to the address he has weather or not it is my one. I'm concerned that legal action could involve members of my family and cause me considerable embarrassment.

I'd love to be able to just pay it off but I can't afford it and now frankly i'm so angry I just don't want to let them win! Is there anything I can do about all this?

• 1 month later...

Surely it is as simple as calling them up, stop hiding, give them some contact details and agree to a payment plan. An affordable one that you can manage.

£200? So ask for a payment plan of £5 a month. And go from there

Hi,

I agree with making an arrangement to pay but there is other avenues to get this monkey off your back.

If he has made these threats through Facebook, do a screengrab and save them safely. this is harassment pure and simple. He would also be breaking the data protection act if he disclosed your debt to anyone in your family. This is PRIVATE data

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Surely he's broken the data protection act, well more than council have?? Get the emails threatening you, print em and notify the police. Least then your covered, would also chech with the cab to see if the council have broken any rules also.... Good luck!!