• Tweets

• Thanks dx for your kind words. I plan to renew my season ticket and write a new begging letter as following, can I ask for any suggestion about it?   Dear Investigator/Prosecutor,   Thank you for your reply. I deeply regret my actions and the inconvenience they have caused.   I’m extremely remorseful for my crime. and regret it everyday. I often ask myself ‘’how can I do that thing just because I felt it is interesting. There are a lot of crimes in the world, but feeling it’s interesting is certainly not a reason to crime. I should not crime with any reason.’’ I think about these things every day, and I understand that I can’t blame anyone but myself.   I thanks to the staff who stopped me, as this is a valuable lesson in my life. I told myself that I should never ever repeat such a thing again, and never ever do anything which is possible to be in breach of any law. As a result, I carefully tap my oyster card every time before I enter the station now. I remind myself that I did a wrong thing before, and I should never let it happen again.   Although my monthly travel expenses do not warrant a season ticket, but I just renew my season ticket (please see the attachment). I understand that a crime cannot be truly compensated for, but purchasing a season ticket offers me a small measure of comfort, knowing that my actions caused a loss to the public interest.   I received an email which ask me to negotiate being class teacher in this summer (please see the attachment). I hope that I could teach the lovely students again, which may not be allowed with a criminal record. I would please ask that you would please provide me a single opportunity to settle all outstanding sums owed outside of court without the need for legal proceedings which would have a determinantal impact on my teaching career.   I sincerely apologise again for my crime. If you need anything further from me to help you please let me know.    Yours sincerely,
    • You did what??? You asked them to send you the documents that without them you had  a 100% ironclad win in Court. Why on earth would you do that? As it happens in this case, there is still enough mistakes in their PCNs and the NTH to have your case cancelled. Amd it may be that not sending those documents in the first place along with the ICO complaint and the letters from Alliance themselves which would confirm by the dates on the letters may be enough to cancel it anyway. I hope you have kept their letters as evidence? The chances are that Alliance will not actually take you to Court because of their errors but you never know.  You have made so much extra work for yourself in your WS if they decide to push their luck.though. Can you please post up their letter where they give the reason why I wasn't sent with the NTH.
    • I'm not sure that I fully agree with my site team colleague above.  My understanding is that there is nothing to stop you recording but it is strictly for your own personal use.   
    • I live in a student house, with 5 tenants, unihomes is our utilities provider, who we each have a direct debit set up with and have paid each bill every month. Two letters were sent in my name by BWLegal saying I had two outstanding payments due adding up to over £3500, I have tried to contact british gas (as that is apparently our houses provider) as well as Unihomes. Nothing has helped and BWlegal are pursuing legal action if these debts are not resolved by the 1st May. What do I do? I've called Bwlegal when i bring up that the debt isnt for me and for unihomes they hang up on me. so I am stressed and do not know what to do
    • cant do either if its not in a public place or on your land. dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Urgent Advice Please - Re: Nationwide Credit Card & Court Action

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4621 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry but only Just spotted this terry. Has it gone into the court now?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The worrying part is that since Carey the courts are accepting reconstituted agreements. I'm linking the judgment on bailii but there are quite a few threads on cag discussing it too.

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2009/3417.html

Also McGuffick v RBS.

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Comm/2009/2386.html

• Confused 1

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks for the reply. To your knowledge, are all courts/judges accepting reconstituted agreements these days? I find it worrying that a financial institution can produce a document with no customer signature and it be taken as (a) the customer has signed it and (b) it's legally enforceable. Technically they could now produce a document that "proves" pretty much anything.

Do you have any suggestions for my next course of action?

Thanks again for your time and input.

TT

Thanks Nicklea - mine is a 2000 agreement so things might not be quite as bleak as first appeared?

Is the best thing to do now is sit tight and prepare myself for the day in court? Anything else I could/should be doing?

Thanks again to everyone

TT

Although it's a bit too late now. I really would suggest that you would need to argue that while you did sign an application form that you do not accept that the agreement was reduced to writing.

pt2537 made these comments on the subject:-

Quite, Post when i say a certified true copy, what i mean is they could use the template and populate the data onto it from their systems, and then sign to certify that this document is a true copy of the original. The agreement, wont need to be signed, unless there is a dispute over the actual signing of the agreement. Many DJs now accept that unless the debtor puts forward a positive assertions that he never signed an agreement then the DJ will accept a reconstitution backed by witness evidence from the bank or creditor.

But As per carey, if the Debtor is able to put forward a positive assertion that there was no signed agreeement, and is able to give details as to the circumstances when the agreement was executed then the bank will need to address in its evidence this point. It may be that only producing the signed agreement satisfies this provison Also lets not forget para 7 of the Court of Appeal in Kotecha!!

Thanks for the info Nick.

My understanding is that the court looks at the balance of probabilities regarding agreements.

You should indeed be preparing for court terry, learning as much as you can, preparing a court bundle of documents to back up your case, and making notes for the arguments you intend to use in court.

Preparation is the key to success so start now and post thoughts and questions on your thread as you go along so it isn't a last minute rush and gives people plenty of time to help you. Your thread will also be a useful tool for you to remind you of how things have progressed.

What track has the case been allocated to? It would probably be an idea to start making a schedule of your costs on a spreadsheet and keeping receipts for any costs you incur while preparing for court. Keep a track of time you spend too.

Thanks for the info Nick.

My understanding is that the court looks at the balance of probabilities regarding agreements.

Yes, that's why I added the post above with the comments from pt. To reinforce that the OP needs to make a positive assertion that an agreement was not signed - it was only an application form.

If the OP doesn't make this assertion then the DJ may well find on the balance of probabilities that there was an agreement. However, if they do make this assertion and the creditor cannot produce a signed agreement then I would suggest that section 127(3) prevents them from enforcing it.

Thanks to Caro and Nicklea for helpful advice once more.

Nicklea - can I mention in court about reducing the agreement into writing (or the lack of it) if I didn't explicitly mention it in my WS? I did state that what they had available and supplied to me (ie. application form and reconstituted credit agreement which again was actually an application form) - and this therefore suggests that they haven't reduced it to writing. But of course I'll need to be a lot more specific.

Caro - thanks for the advice re: planning and preparation. Will keep the thread updated as I go along.

Thanks again, TT

No reason why not, it's just that if you've had a chance to put it in writing then it's alot easier to get your point across and you have the time to think about what you're saying and make sure that you say the right thing in the right way. Whereas, if you only do this verbally in front of the judge it is very easy to get flustered and make mistakes - I know this myself from experience.

Thanks for this - can see exactly what you mean. Have started preparing my defence anyway, so will add it in there and practice exactly what I want to get across.

TT

No reason why not, it's just that if you've had a chance to put it in writing then it's alot easier to get your point across and you have the time to think about what you're saying and make sure that you say the right thing in the right way. Whereas, if you only do this verbally in front of the judge it is very easy to get flustered and make mistakes - I know this myself from experience.

• 3 months later...

OK, it's court in a week. How time flies...

Anyway, my line of defence is going to be that I only ever signed an application form. The agreement was not reduced into writing. Creditor has been totally unable to produce a signed, compliant agreement for a pre-2007 account.

Are there any other hints, tips or pointers anyone can give at this stage? I'm going to scour through the SAR bundle again and see if anything sticks out when looking with fresh eyes.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Terry, good luck with this, in court shortly with daughter, exactly same arguement, but don't forget Section 59 of CCA 1974

1). An agreement is void if, and to the extent that, it purports to bind a person to enter as debtor or hirer into a prospective regulated agreement.(2) Regulations may exclude from the operation of subsection (1) agreements such as are described in the regulations.

The alleged agreement is void as it is an application and pre-contractual.

Got to go out now, back with some more later.

OK, back again House of Lords in Wilson v FCT(2003)All ER(D) 287(Jul) which confirms that where a document does not contain the required terms under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and the Consumer Credit (Agreements)Regulations 1983 SI 1983/1553 and Consumer Credit (Agreements) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 SI 2044/1482 the agreement cannot be enforced.

Also the quote from Francis Bennion draftsman of the Consumer Credit Act.

Huge thanks to Miss Muppet - I'm currently preparing all my paperwork as per Nicklea's earlier advice so this will prove invaluable.

Hopefully I can bring some good news to boost you going into your own court date!!

Thanks again, and any further advice or ideas are welcomed.

TT

Hope this goes well for you i am watching with interest as i am now going down the same avenue as you, Have recieved to day a trial hearing in december so am watching your thread with interest. Please keep us informed Good Luck

Pecky1

Thanks Pecky1 - good luck with yours too. Probably as much down to the DJ lottery as anything - on paper I have a strong case. Will keep you updated of any outcome on this thread.

Thanks also to everyone who has helped so far, and I welcome any further input.

TT

That's fantastic - well done!! Thanks again for your help and this good news definitely makes me feel a little better about the upcoming court date. There are definitely pieces of your defence that I should be able to use.

TT

Just got a huge trial bundle today. Only had 2 mins to look through it so far but they look to be relying on Waksman as the judgement is included within the bundle. Will look properly over next couple of days.

Anything obvious I should be looking for? Places they might have tripped themselves up? Anything that should be in there that maybe isn't?

Thanks in advance, I'm a first-timer so all help is welcomed.

TT

As stated before, Carey only applies where the creditor is responding to a request from a debtor under S77/78 of the Act.

If the creditor insists that Carey allows them to just produce a 'reconstituted' document, refer them to paragraph 234 (4) of the judgement under the title of 'SUMMARY OF FINDINGS' wherein

(4) If an agreement has been varied [such as a change in interest rate] by the creditor under a unilateral power of variation, the creditor must still provide a copy of the original agreement, as well as the varied terms;"

and ask for the copy of the original agreement to be produced.

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

Tremendous, thank you for this.

TT

As stated before, Carey only applies where the creditor is responding to a request from a debtor under S77/78 of the Act.

If the creditor insists that Carey allows them to just produce a 'reconstituted' document, refer them to paragraph 234 (4) of the judgement under the title of 'SUMMARY OF FINDINGS' wherein

(4) If an agreement has been varied [such as a change in interest rate] by the creditor under a unilateral power of variation, the creditor must still provide a copy of the original agreement, as well as the varied terms;"

and ask for the copy of the original agreement to be produced.

Sad to report a defeat today. Judge was pleasant enough but got the vibe he'd made his mind up to accept a recon and award the CCJ no matter what I would have said.

Don't regret defending as far as court despite the extra charges - at least I had some hope of success this way rather than submitting to an automatic CCJ and it's been experience/a learning curve.

Didn't stick around too long afterwards so unsure what happens next - assume I get something through the post? What's generally the best way to make a repayment offer - direct to creditor or via court? Want to make sure everything is done in time for them not to be able to go for a CO if possible.

Thanks once more to everyone who took the time to help and advise throughout this case.

Best of luck to anyone fighting a similar claim, will stick around to offer the limited bit of knowledge I now have.

TT