• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

PCworld/Techguys sent my laptop to wrong address

djdoc1975
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5076 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Its my first post, apologies cos its going to be a long one...

On said date a DPD courier was supposed to collect from my home address, but never came, so we took our notebook to our local PC World for repair, under the warranty we have. I've had the notebook 5yrs, when I bought it I took out the warranty and moved home 2yrs 5months ago appx (that's relevant later on I promise). We were told once repaired it would be delivered back to that store, as they always re-deliver back to the place it was collected?

We called in to the store we took it to on later said date, (38 days after it had been booked in at the store for repairs), to see what was going on as we hadn't received it back yet. We were told in store it was fixed and was awaiting return to us, it was still at the workshop with the Tech Guys and we were given a number to call to enquire about its return.

We called the number as soon as we got home and were told they didn't have the notebook there, with the Tech Guys, and that it was at the store we originally took it to. We told them we had just been to the store and that they didnt have it, they said they would look into it and to call them back.

My partner called them only to be told they had lost it, it was neither with Tech Guys or the store, there were no records of it, it was lost. So, we asked for a replacement as is our right, and were told we couldnt have a replacement till the 6 weeks was up, the 6weeks has passed!

The person my partner spoke to was very unhelpful and not professional whatsoever. He first asked if my partner couldn't just, 'go round and get it", to which my partner disagreed, we don't know the people and frankly if they've had it weeks, what's the point. She then asked to speak to a manager, to which he said there was none, she stated he should have a manager, he replied with the same, there wasn't one, then said he was ending the call as it was deemed he could no longer offer anything. When we told customer services about this call, they were stunned and said he was out of order and that his manager would be contacted and told of his lack of support, and bare faced lies as there will have been a manager there.

We called back AGAIN, and they say a DIFFERENT story now, that they have delivered it to our old address, a few weeks after it had been taken in, (they know of our current address because it is on the service docket, plus we had the notebook in for repair just last year and it was changed to this address then, despite their saying we need to amend our address, they have our address?

Needless to say, PC World will sell you hundreds of pounds worth of security software to protect your personal effects, NI numbers, bank details, credit card details, pictures of your children, personal pictures etc but they deliver your notebook to a stranger and leave it there for weeks and that is for free and acceptable?!

Today they have been unhelpful in the raising a claims issue, they are saying we have to now wait for them to send a courier to our old address to retrieve the notebook, if the person there says they do not have it, they have to then send it to their legal dept to write a letter to that person, I mean, how many weeks does all that sound to you? We've already been over 6weeks without a notebook, and the distress my partner's going through because her babies pictures are on the HD and with strangers and there's her breastfeeding on pictures too, so obviously she's very upset, we don't know who's viewing/viewed them.

They basically said we cannot both have PC World attempt to retrieve and raise a complaint. Why shouldn't we be entitled to our notebook back and to raising a complaint about the mess about, the distress, the fact that someone's had it a month and that;s apparently OK?

I don't know if anyone's had this happen but frankly it's caused a lot of upset.

Thankyou for reading, any and all help appreciated.

Edited by djdoc1975
taken exact dates out - got to be careful these days

Ok, the service docket you currently have is nothing more than a sheet of paper given to you by the store stating that they are responsible for the laptop until DPD collect it and take it to the techguys. The details on that docket are for nothing more than the store to contact you in the event something crops up before it's collected.

Being a temporary system that is wiped once the laptop is collected (unless being returned to branch for collection). The techguys don't use any of the details on it, they instead use the details linked to your whateverhappens account. The same account that states right on the first page (at the top I believe) that should your contact details change, you need to inform them.

And now you know why.

As for what you can do about it. Unless you specificly informed whateverhappens that your details have changed and they neglected to change them, there is very little you can do short of waiting for them to collect it. Informing the store is not good enough, because due to data protection laws they can't access or amend anything on your whateverhappens account, only the operators at whateverhappens can.

You could throw the 28/21 day repair or replace rule at them, but they'll just respond with the fact that its your obligation to inform them that you want the repair to cease, and that the repair has now been completed. As for the documents on your computer, it's this very reason why I always advocate the use of external media for sensitive or precious files, but of course when you say that to someone in a shop, they just assume your trying to flog them a hard-drive on top of their laptop.

Edited by Renzokuken

But the address was changed the last time they repaired it from my current 'new' address, here, last year.

I was told by 2 diff members of staff that the notebook would be returned to store not my home address.

The main issue, which is being overlooked, is the fact that MY personal details and pictures have been given to a stranger and there seems to be no acceptance of responsibility from PC World.

I have spoke to the police and they have said we have to ask the person where it is supposed to have been delivered to if they have it, if not, then we can send the police around as it is theft knowingly accepting and opening and keeping post/parcels that are not addressed to you or believed to be. Not relevant, but just updating this issue.

Thankyou for your reply, I understand your points entirely, but in this instance, I don't believe they wholey apply. Thanks again.

Edited by djdoc1975

But the address was changed the last time they repaired it from my current 'new' address, here, last year.

I was told by 2 diff members of staff that the notebook would be returned to store not my home address.

The main issue, which is being overlooked, is the fact that MY personal details and pictures have been given to a stranger and there seems to be no acceptance of responsibility from PC World.

I have spoke to the police and they have said we have to ask the person where it is supposed to have been delivered to if they have it, if not, then we can send the police around as it is theft knowingly accepting and opening and keeping post/parcels that are not addressed to you or believed to be. Not relevant, but just updating this issue.

Thankyou for your reply, I understand your points entirely, but in this instance, I don't believe they wholey apply. Thanks again.

Right well if you've informed whateverhappens of your change of address and they've neglected to change the details, I'd ring them up and have a crack at the 28 day rule first of all. Inform them that over 38 days for a repair and the subsiquent delivery is well over not only their policy, but your statuatory rights under law. Make sure you mention about how you informed them of your change of address during the previous repair.

They could wriggle out of it, but I'd try it anyway and see what happens.

did you evE read the whole post?? (obviously not.....your a great example of what customer service means to dsgi group.....)

Ok, the service docket you currently have is nothing more than a sheet of paper given to you by the store stating that they are responsible for the laptop until DPD collect it and take it to the techguys. The details on that docket are for nothing more than the store to contact you in the event something crops up before it's collected.

Being a temporary system that is wiped once the laptop is collected (unless being returned to branch for collection). The techguys don't use any of the details on it, they instead use the details linked to your whateverhappens account. The same account that states right on the first page (at the top I believe) that should your contact details change, you need to inform them.

And now you know why.

As for what you can do about it. Unless you specificly informed whateverhappens that your details have changed and they neglected to change them, there is very little you can do short of waiting for them to collect it. Informing the store is not good enough, because due to data protection laws they can't access or amend anything on your whateverhappens account, only the operators at whateverhappens can.

You could throw the 28/21 day repair or replace rule at them, but they'll just respond with the fact that its your obligation to inform them that you want the repair to cease, and that the repair has now been completed. As for the documents on your computer, it's this very reason why I always advocate the use of external media for sensitive or precious files, but of course when you say that to someone in a shop, they just assume your trying to flog them a hard-drive on top of their laptop.

Ok, the service docket you currently have is nothing more than a sheet of paper given to you by the store stating that they are responsible for the laptop until DPD collect it and take it to the techguys. The details on that docket are for nothing more than the store to contact you in the event something crops up before it's collected

you state the service docket is worth nothing, thats why it states our current address and not our previus address ( of which we notified the change at dates of repair when it went in last year). SO SURELY PC WORLD are reliable as they know the adress to send it back to, we were also told it would only be returned to the address it was picked up from.....in this case a pcworld store... again a case of gross negligence...

need i carry on......in fact i have the emnail address of the ceo and will be contacting him 2moro along with my local legal team and the appropiate bodies that deal with breaches of the DPA.

I hope you inform your superiors that a major case will/is being brought against them and that i will be contacting as much media as i can to broadcast this case to as many people as possible so they canmake there own mind up about the dsgi group and in particular pc world.

Edited by djdoc1975
taken out a few question marks

I'm not here to give you "customer service" I'm here off the record, helping people. Unlike someone doing this on the companys behalf I can happily tell you to sod off if you don't like what I'm telling you. So if you want to be ignorant and throw around words like "gross negligence" in some vain attempt to sound like you know what your talking about, be my guest. But please don't expect anyone on here to come running to your aid.

Also.. if you have a "legal team" why are you asking us for advice on an internet message board?

I guess I had too many sherry's last night, seeing my partner so distressed isn't comfortable to watch, can you at least answer this with a yes..would you happily give your PC or Notebook to a stranger for a month and not give a damn about them seeing what's on it?

Forgot to add, I cannot move any sensitive material off my notebook if it's broken can I, and I couldn't send it in for repair without it's HD so that's not relevant to say I should have used external material and taken it off my notebook before handing it over to PC World, as I couldn't in this case.

Hello,

Sorry to hear about the problems your currently having.

So to try and get a few answers,

Did you ring cover plan and ask to change your address when you moved? This wasn't just something you did when you were in your local store?

You will of signed the service document which states, Pc World is not responsible for your data or data lost.

Although it is inconvenient cover plan are going down the right route, they obviously have to investigate it, which may take time they won't just give out vouchers if they have no proof of where its went and they'll want to retrieve the old laptop.

Chris

hi dear

i am really sorry for you, i really understand your problem because i am also in the same situation as u r, the DPD people collected laptop from my old address on 29th of march and i update my address with techguyes on 3rd of april by calling them. thay delivered the laptop after repair to my old address on 18th april , only thing differs from your case is that my laptop was returned from the old address stating that the person is no longer living at that address,i called techguyes on 25th april they told me that the delivery is been refused from the address then i explaind the situation to him then he said it will take around 4-5 working dayes to be redelivered but nothing is happened yet, i just called 3 times today but there is not any update in my issue.

i am not understanding why they have delivered my laptop to the old address as i already changed and updated the address with the techguyes. i think now i have to raise the complaint by contacting the complaint numberof techguyes.

is any thing else i can do in this matter.:(

hello! I´m in similar situation. I gave my kaptop to repair on 15th of march. Since that time have been in the shop to ask about it many times but nobody could help me. After 42 days i went there again and they was told that propablly my laptop was send to my old address. I don´t understand why as the techguys have my new addres since long time. Yesterday the schoop manager ensured me thhat in this situation I will given voucher so i bought new laptop , but this time not in Pc World. Today I called techguys and they told my that I will not get voucher propablly and I have to wait for my old one. Question is if after 42 days can I claim my money back or the voucher in this situation? And if the shoop manager just lied to me? Thank you for reading, and please help me :-(

Yesterday the schoop manager ensured me thhat in this situation I will given voucher so i bought new laptop , but this time not in Pc World. (

Out of interest where did you buy it? As a voucher would have to be used in Pc World Or Currys

To give a bit more information on the situation i looked into it today and have fedback the problem.

As i'm actually having the same problem with a lot of the laptops at the moment. It appears that they're losing the original booking details so when they go to get sent back, they use your details from which the product is registered too.

I've yet to have any go missing but i know rather then go to the store, i've had them redelivered to customer addresses.

Chris

Tech Guys

thanks for quick response. I am out of home right now but i think is about 3 year old. Pc World Voucher.

Ok, as long as the request has been put in for a voucher it should get processed, continue to chase it though cos they sometimes get rejected. You'll receive a voucher to either use in pc world or currys or as the store to refund your new laptop and use the voucher to pay for it.

Chris

Tech Guys

• 5 weeks later...

The tech guys have also lost my laptop I took it in for a health check on 21st March - the shop said it was broken they eventually collectd it on 8th April repaired it on 27th April and tried to return it via DPD with an incomplete address, it was returned to their work shop on 6th May they have adnitted they have no idea where itis now and have now written it off! They sent me a voucher last week to add insut to injury they have written off my £750 sony viao 22 months old to the value of a Dell £349 machine I have also been paying £9.99 per month insurance for what i can opnly describe as the worst customer service on the planet. They then conceeded that in the circumstances I may not want to buy anything from DSG so replaced the voucher with a cheque.

I have endured over 6 hours of hell speaking to these guys been lied too and feel totaly fipped off and conned - I am now isuing proceedings in the small claims court - more distress but they are such big bully boys there is now no other way. The moral of the storey is so not buy anythong from

DSG.