Power2contact Npower Debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5151 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have another thread about 3 valleys water if you can offer any help.

I now owe Npower £1500 for gas & electric steming from last year when I was on maternity leave and at home with new baby. Hence I was on maternity pay SMP (only afford nappies and food) but managing to pay £100/month towards bill. Unfortunately bill has increased and Npower want me to pay £490/month which I obviously cant. As a tenant in the property I told them they can't install a prepayment meter BUT I am still paying £100/month and explained my situation a single parent with 4 kids not on benefits but just managing to keep my head above water but they have passed my account on to P2C.

P2C sent me letter about a visit and they'll enter the house install prepayment meter or disconnect me. They also said Npower have told them to add £23 to the account for not paying (£100 still leaving my account every month) and the total cost of them visiting could be up to £315.

Am I right in that

1. I can send P2C the letter about "doorstep call"

2. Should I correspond with P2C or with powergen as powergen are still taking my money?

3. Can I send Powergen and/or P2C a CCA for a break down of my account/fees/interest even though it's not a "credit debt". What should I send instead?

I have read through a several threads on P2C but it seems they can force there way in & disconnect which of course in this weather with 3 small kids would be a nightmare.

I must also point out that my credit rating is shot to pieces having been made redundant a few years back.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Thanks Foaf26907

Claim filed 30/01/07

2nd Request £1500 nov 06

Prelim Request £1500 16/10

Lloyds Data Protection Act 07/08

------------------------------------

Abbey Credit card settled £266 11/06

NatWest paid in full £3770 04/08/06

Hurray Halifax Paid in full £1820.00 28/05/06

firstly, tjhey won't disconnect you with the vulnerability in the property

Where does Powergen come into the equation? Powergen is now known as EON and completely seperate to Npower or P2C

A supplier can still fit a prepayment meter under a warrant of entry even if the property is rented, this is where the extra costs will come from.

You can still request a break down of your account, and you would be best advsed to communicate with your supplier and not the DCA.

With regards to your income/outgoing situation, might be worth seeking advice of CAB or similar as you may be entitled to benefits to increase your income, and therefore make your fuel payments affordable so that you can cover your consumption plus something towards the balance.

Thank you. I got all my companies mixed up. All references should be about Npower.

I'm not entitled to benefits as I earn "too much" to get any help.

Doesn't the fact that I'm paying something already count towards something?

Thanks again for your help

Thanks Foaf26907

Claim filed 30/01/07

2nd Request £1500 nov 06

it does and it doesnt... what needs to be set is an arrangement to cover your ongoing consumption plus something towards your debt. with the balance on your account increasing, this would suggest to me that your payments have not been enough to cover your energy usage plus something towards the debt - they will normally go to a maximum 12 month period before insisting on a prepayment meter, and this normally is facilitated through a direct debit.

I would suggest contacting NPOWERS complaints department or calling the team who are contacting you and escalate the call to a manager if necessary to get a better payment option than the £490.

Re the benefits you might want to check if you are entitled to tax credits - entitled2.com is a very handy website

Take nottslad's advice.

I will enlarge on some aspects.

Pay to NPower only what you can afford monthly but the amount must cover your present consumption. All communications from now onwards must be in writing -do not talk on the phone -simply refuse their security questions or put the phone down. Keep copies of all letters carefully.

Do check your bills carefully. Has there been periods when they have not billed you for one year or read the meter for 2 years but used estimates?. Was the last reading an estimate? Was it reasonable? Check that they have the correct meter number on your bills.

If you can dispute the bills then all collection activity must cease.

P2C

NPower are using a DCA to intimidate you. None of the 'dire' threats they make are sustainable. They will be acting as agents for NPower and they are NPower in disguise. Do not communicate with them at all.

a) sending someone round. These people have no powers because they are not bailiffs. Talk to them if you like but not about your account. If the get awkward send for the police

b) disconnect you or change meters They will have to get a warrant of entry to do this. If they make an application there is one danger. If you do not go to the court they will win by default (of a defense). So be prepared to go to the court (with your children !!!) to put your story to the magistrate. You will find that the application willl be withdrawn - they are looking for a quick easy default verdict and will not be prepared to go into court for a hearing.

c) they will threaten a small claims court. If you agree with amount you will admit it. You will ask the judge to make installment payments. He will look at your financial situation and likely award lower payment payments than you have already offered. A waste of time and money for the claimant

Are you using more and more power or is the increase simply due to the increase in power costs. I presume you are economising as much as possible and you have taken advantage of grants for insulation etc -CAB could help you there.

Finally look at the 'dealing with debt' board on the Motley Fool - you might well pick up some useful tips there which could help you.

PS Do not worry that your credit record is poor - taking on further debt could be a disaster.

Might also be an idea to contact an organisation such as consumer credit counselling service or CAB to look at the viability of a Debt Relief Order if you have debts elsewhere?

Also an income and expenditure form showing what you can afford to pay drawn up by one of these organisations would help your case if you send it to Npower - as long as you cover your consumption and temporarily only a small amount towards the debt they should accept it

Might also be an idea to contact an organisation such as consumer credit counselling service or CAB to look at the viability of a Debt Relief Order if you have debts elsewhere?

Also an income and expenditure form showing what you can afford to pay drawn up by one of these organisations would help your case if you send it to Npower - as long as you cover your consumption and temporarily only a small amount towards the debt they should accept it

Thanks I'll send them a copy of my Budget breakdown.

The £100 is deducted from the bill so would I need to write Npower and ask that they put the money towards the debt?

Although I do have alot of debt dont think I want to do DRO.....it leaves me withe very little options.......

Thanks Foaf26907

Claim filed 30/01/07

2nd Request £1500 nov 06

What puts you off a DRO> it ceases anyone included in the DRO takin any colletion action for a year and if your situation has not improved it wipes off the debt - it is a good option if you qualify, but speak to CCCS for further advice.

Normally your deemed contract will state that payments go towards debt first anyway

Wouldn't a DRO make me like unable to credit for a while? I know it seems silly as my credit is trashed anyway......what about existing borrowing I have (a very high rate) car credit agreement due to finish oct this year. How will that be affected by the DRO?

Thanks Foaf26907

Claim filed 30/01/07

2nd Request £1500 nov 06

I'll send letter & budget to Npower.

Thanks

Thanks Foaf26907

Claim filed 30/01/07

2nd Request £1500 nov 06

well Npower showed up yesterday!

I had a card through the letter box saying someone had been round and I'd been out and to please call number. Didn't bother doing anything.

Yesterday just getting home from work with the kids and a guy walks up to my door.

I must give him his dues he was very polite, not threatening at all. Said he was from Npower wanting to discuss my bill. I said all communication should be in writing. he said would I like discuss about a prepayment meter. I said he should communicate in writing. He siad OK he'd note on my case that I was refusing to talk to him said goodbye and left. He wasn't mean or threatening about it but had obviously been sat outside for a while waiting for me. Cos as soon as th kids got down and began off loading the car he came towards me.

I sent off my budget & letter last week but hadn't had a reply. Should I write them again. I know it's said not to call but should just ring to confirm they have my letter? cos it seems thery're not taking any notice of it if they're sending round thier people?

What do I do next ?

Thanks

Thanks Foaf26907

Claim filed 30/01/07

2nd Request £1500 nov 06

can any1 offer me advice on next step