moving to another location

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5183 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all. at the moment im living in a council flat in london,

been in the flat for 3 years, currently im on dla and is,

i want to move back to northern ireland or south ireland (for health reasons),

what i want to no is, how do i go about moving back

or trying to get an exchange and would i be waiting a long time.

any help would be appreciated

Thats a rather open question.

Initially, I can only see you privately renting, as you would have to be added to the waiting list for a LA/HA property.

This is for northern ireland, couldnt comment on southern ireland as completely seperate jurisdiction.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Well, because its an open question!

Go about it - in what way? Housing only, other matters, what would you like the end result to be (what type of property) etc.

Sorry if you dont feel its an open question...but its an open question.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

What to do in the first instance is to contact the local authority within which you want to move to, and explain the situation.

If you have a carer, you may be in a vulnerable group and may be given higher priority.

Is the carer moving with you also?

thanks for that mrshed, woukld i have to speak with my local authority aswell

as the local authority which i want to move to, would i have to fill in some kind of forms, sorry for all the questions im just unsure as to how i go about all this.

thanks in advance

I dont see any need to discuss with your LA per se - all you would need to do is give appropriate notice of termination of tenancy when you are ready to leave.

How long have you lived in your current property out of interest?

Absolutely.

I cant really comment on the likelihood of success.

What I would say is that although you will be higher up the list due to your circumstances, the fact taht you are not homeless is not likely to assist.

As you are a Council tenant you can use the homeswapper website to try to find someone to swap homes with in Northern Ireland. However, it's usually hard to find someone who is looking to move to a smaller property most people want to move to a larger one. If you find someone you can then do a mutual exchange.

If you are not living in the area and are not homeless Councils usually only take people who have a reason to move to that particular area such as to take up a job offer, to care for a relative or to be nearer a relative who will be caring for them. Your chances of being accepted will probably depend on the amount of properties the Council owns and how many people are on the waiting list to be housed. The more demand for social housing in the area the stricter the Council will be about renting to people who currently live outside the area.