Medical emergency in USA with no health insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4717 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Wasn't sure which section to post this (Travel insurance, NHS, Holiday Companies) so it's ended up in general. Please let me know if it would be better somewhere else.

Someone I know has traveled to America with no insurance. They had a medical emergency when they were there and ended up in intensive care for around 2 weeks. The hospital are still calculating the bill for this but have said it will be in excess of $200,000.

They have now let him leave the country without paying.

What happens now? I assume they will chase for this money somehow? But how will they do that? Do they have an agreement with the UK government where they would retrieve the money on behalf of the US? Will they sue? What happens if he can't pay?

There's not much info around on the web about this as the advice just seems to be "Don't go without insurance".

Thanks for your help.

I fail to see how they can chase for this.

Civil law is not international.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I only know of two cases - the Hospital called in the police stating that the patient has no means of paying the bill and to prevent them leaving the county. This was laughed at, as a civil dispute they refused to be involved. However, once the costs situation became known (ie no insurance) all care stopped and no further medical treatment givewn.

In the second case, the patent's injuries were so sever they died, but still ran up a bill for $32,000. It was paid from the deceast's estate, after na assurance for the family solicitor.

As you say, even when an emergency visit to the dentist can cost $750, insurance is a must.

• 2 weeks later...

I know in Canada, they hire international debt collection agencies to people, and also refuse any visa/entry if there is an outstanding debt. But I am not sure about the USA, the rules might vary even from state to state. However, most countries are unable to chase the debt due to the civil laws being confined only as the "law of the land" and not stretching far enough to work overseas etc.

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

• 1 year later...

Affordable medical insurance is possible and is even easy to find. In today's economy, people are making cuts everywhere, trying to save money. However, some things simply cannot be scrimped on and medical insurance is one of those things. Having good medical insurance that protects you, especially if major illness or injury occurs could save you from complete financial ruin. However, you can still find the best price possible and get some great savings if you know what to do.

The trouble with this sort of thing is that is may be possible to get away with doing a runner for a while because the cost of enforcing a debt is more than the money is worth.

Then at some future date there's a need to apply for a visa, perhaps to some other country and the application is calmly refused. Then you recall what happened before. This is the age of the internet. Information is everywhere.