Debt conflict with BT

nit_mis
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4970 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I got a debt collection letter of £145.00 from Weston credit services around a month ago. This is from its client BT Plc. They are asking to repay debt that was due in 2007 summer (around Aug-sept 2007). They traced me because I set direct debit from my account for BT phone line that is in my spouse's name in Oct 2009.

But I think the amount is not justified. This is because of following reasons:

- BT line connected in Feb 2007 (Note: there was only 3 months minimum contract at that time).

- I moved home at the end of august 2007.

- Let me tell you the experience was so horrible that once I held phone for even 6 hrs one time for house moving department. But with no success. Even when I shifted home, I tried to call BT for house move but never got connected.

- I sent couple of e-mails to BT customer services requesting them to resolve issue asap. The reply came a month after asking if the problem is resolved and asking to reply with "Please action urgently" if not yet resolved. So I replied same and mentioned in email that if it won't get resolved, kindly disconnect the line as I am no longer living in the property. I also provided my new address/contact details in that e-mail.

- After this incident, I do not receive anything from BT apart from just one email that was saying your next BT bill is ready and that too in NOV 2007.

I have soft copy of all the emails exchanged.

Can anyone guide me how to deal with it? Obviously I do not want to pay for anything due to which I sufferred a lot.

Thanks for your advices in advance.

Cheers.

If the BT line was in your partner's name and you only paid the a/c through your DD you are not liable, the contract was between your partner & BT.

Write or email Weston credit services and tell them to either prove there is an agreement between you & BT or bog off. ;)

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/573-general-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt

Thanks cerberusalert for your replies and being patient over an issue of contractual confusion.

I have had a talk with them over the phone and asked them to send me the details. I assume they could send me some itemization of charges. I would like to be prepared for the reply I need to send to them.

Note: I have not made any written communication so far with wescot credit services.

What do you feel about the legitimacy of the e-mail communications that I have? It is clearly visible from e-mails that I have tried hard and had clear intensions to move the line but it was due to their customer service/support problem, it has not been transferred.

Emails are acceptable as evidence of correspondence between BT & yourself. See what Westcott come back with before you decide which route to take, although it will probably mean a contact with BT's complaints dept, Trading Standards and the OFT enclosing copies of those emails. ;)

• 9 months later...

I got this debt sorted out with BT. I asked Wescott to ask their client (BT) to send me all the details how I owe them £145. They did not reply to them during next 6 months (Possibly they knew that they harassed me while shifting the line) after which I received a letter from Wescot that the debt has been written off and cleared of my accounts.

This site provided me enough confidence to fight for the right.

Thanks.