uninsured car involved in accident claim by MIB

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4848 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son was involved in an accident and it then transpired he was not insured for the car he was driving.

he has been fined by the court and had points on his licence,

he has now received a letter from DWF LLP requesting a payment of 5,276.oo as payment for expenses incurred by the Motor Insureres Bereau.

There is no breakdown of how this figure has been arrived at, and this is the first thing he has had relating to any compensation claim.

my son hit another car that was pulling out of a side road,

there was a minor dent to the car my son was driving and very little damage to the other car,

they exchanged details and my son reported the accident to the poloice the following day

(which was when he realised he wasnt insured)

The other husband phoned my son and asked for £2,000 compensation a few days later as he said the car was a write off.

My son said he didnt have 2,000 and the damage to the car wasnt enough to write it off,

the other driver then described damage that could not have been caused by the collision and became demanding for cash.

obviously my son didnt pay him as he knew the case would be going to court.

He has had no claim for compensation etc from the other drivers insurers and there has been no court case.

he accepts that he may have to pay some damages but wants to know does he have to pay this demand

or is it a punt by the company to see if he just pays up without question.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Sounds like a pu t to me.

Any such claim would have to be suppoerted by the appropriate documentation. You are fully entitled to ask for this.

Who/what is the 'Motor Insurers Bureau'? Sounds like a claims management company to me.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

Many years ago my ex husband was involved in an accident and wasnt insured. The MIB was involved and they paid out £17,500 to an injured third party. I am not totally sure what happened, but he wrote back stating he couldnt pay and had no assets and I think in the end they wrote it off.

Might be worth going back to the police and see if they went round to have a look at the other car. Explain that the damage to the other car was as slight as your sons' and say that the guy has already tried to force him into paying £2000 and now the cost has escalated to £5276! Does sound fishy.

If the car was a right off at £2000, how can the bill now be that much. There is such a thing in insurance as betterment and over £3000 is a heck of a lot of betterment. Might be job for plod.

Other than that, ask for bills for damage to the other car although it isn't difficult to slip some money to a dodgy garage and get a pumped up estimate.

Before you can even consider paying anything your need -

- proof that the other car was damaged, and if so, then the extent of the damage

- proof of any injury

- proof that you are liable to pay the amount claimed

As pointed out above you need to be aware that dodgy reports can be 'bought'.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

• 1 year later...

My sister has just receieved a letter from the same company. Claiming £6938.08. The accident was in June 2006 and my sister went to court and lost her license and paid a £1200. It wasnt a bad crash and the other car didnt really have much damage, a few scratches and a small dent. She paid her price at court and lost her license for 6 months so 4 years later can they claim this compensation???

there are no situations that i can think of where a car pulling out of a side road into a main road- would not be at fault

when pulling out of a side road you must not cause traffic on the main road to alter course or speed

so did your son get convicted of a motoring offence such as driving without due care and consideration - or just for no insurance

if it was the latter- then the fact of being convicted of not having insurance has no bearing on who was at fault for the accident

so the claim should be denied- and if it were me i would counterclaim