Advent Computer Training (Hitachi Capital Finance) Discussions

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3912 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

Has anyone else recieved an offer from Hitachi?

They sent me an offer of a part refund - the offer being to only charge 13 months of the 15 months i have had access to the course. Hitachi feel 'the offer is appropriate under the given circumstance', while i think its a poxy offer and 'not appropriate'. I had previously written a letter expressing my feelings that the course had been terrible value for money and that i wanted a full refund and they send this offer with no explanation as to why they feel the offer is appropriate under the given circumstances. The offer would be in full and final settlement of the complaint.

Anybody else had any contact or offer? The last thing i heard Advent had a potential buyer?

I'm planning to tell them to stick their offer - in a nice way!

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys

Has anyone else recieved an offer from Hitachi?

They sent me an offer of a part refund - the offer being to only charge 13 months of the 15 months i have had access to the course. Hitachi feel 'the offer is appropriate under the given circumstance', while i think its a poxy offer and 'not appropriate'. I had previously written a letter expressing my feelings that the course had been terrible value for money and that i wanted a full refund and they send this offer with no explanation as to why they feel the offer is appropriate under the given circumstances. The offer would be in full and final settlement of the complaint.

Anybody else had any contact or offer? The last thing i heard Advent had a potential buyer?

I'm planning to tell them to stick their offer - in a nice way!

Not had an offer yet. Are you saying you have been on the course 15 months and they are saying they will make you pay 13 months and no more ? or do you have 15 months left and they are offering to let you pay 13 months out of 15 - effectively saving you only a couple of hundred quid ?

Not had an offer yet. Are you saying you have been on the course 15 months and they are saying they will make you pay 13 months and no more ? or do you have 15 months left and they are offering to let you pay 13 months out of 15 - effectively saving you only a couple of hundred quid ?

I am 15 months into MSCE and the offer is to only pay for 13, so effectively getting a refund of 2 months - about £300. I have completed CompTIA and was working on Desktop Technician so have completed 2 or 3 modules out of 11. I recieved 4 textbooks, attended 3 workshops at Kidderminster and paid for the exams before being left up s--t creak by Advent, and Hitachi only plan to charge me approx £2250 - BARGAIN!!!

I have done 24 months - got the A+ and was about to take the MCDST when they went west and have just received an offer to only charge me approx £1200. bloody expensive A+. I will probably take it though as I could do with the 2 1/2k refund.

I have done 24 months - got the A+ and was about to take the MCDST when they went west and have just received an offer to only charge me approx £1200. bloody expensive A+. I will probably take it though as I could do with the 2 1/2k refund.

Don't do that; you're owed more money than that, IMHO.

It isn't a brilliant offer but fighting may get me nothing but stress and I would rather cut my losses and run. After all they could be like Barclays and offer nothing at all! Taking into account what I have had out of Advent I would say I'm only half a grand down if I accept.

It isn't a brilliant offer but fighting may get me nothing but stress and I would rather cut my losses and run. After all they could be like Barclays and offer nothing at all! Taking into account what I have had out of Advent I would say I'm only half a grand down if I accept.

If that's your thinking, their 1st offer isn't their last offer - negociate a better deal.

David

I agree, i wish good luck to everyone in a full refund bid but i think i would go for something similar as im in exactly the same boat as you, 24 months in but done my mcdst.

However take your time to decide as once its on the table its doubtful it would be recinded

I've just been reading the Barclay's thread, and there is some talk about the the Advent contract not being signed by the salesman. Well i've looked ont he Hitachi Fixed loan agreement form, and right at the bottem below where I have signed it, ther is a space for the supplier on behalf of Hitachi to sign and date the agreement. Mine has not been signed. Has anyone else got an unsigned agreement form?

Did the letter say that we can cancel our direct debt and was the refund offer for £2500

Hi ratspeaker could I just ask! When did you register your complaint wiv HC? Only saying this as I've just recieved a letter stating they are currently still liaising with pkf and they hope to bring a final response within 4 weeks of today's date!

Hello All, just received an offer from Hitachi. I started the course in 2007 and only completed 2 A+ and had just started the MSCP (end result was to be the MSCDBA) I had to stop around 18 months in and got an email from Advent saying they would suspend my course and to let them know when I wanted to resume - which seemed fair. Now HCF want to offer me £1300 of the £4450 I have paid (final payment went out yesterday) saying I have had access to the course for 33 months but because I have not finished it they will only charge me for 25 months. I am worried that if I don't accept this offer that it will turn into a long drawn out affair and I could end up with nowt. I reckon I should be due at least £3K bearing in mind the amount of the course I have completed. Wondered if anyone else was in a similar situation Regards Fraz

Hello All, just received an offer from Hitachi. I started the course in 2007 and only completed 2 A+ and had just started the MSCP (end result was to be the MSCDBA) I had to stop around 18 months in and got an email from Advent saying they would suspend my course and to let them know when I wanted to resume - which seemed fair. Now HCF want to offer me £1300 of the £4450 I have paid (final payment went out yesterday) saying I have had access to the course for 33 months but because I have not finished it they will only charge me for 25 months. I am worried that if I don't accept this offer that it will turn into a long drawn out affair and I could end up with nowt. I reckon I should be due at least £3K bearing in mind the amount of the course I have completed. Wondered if anyone else was in a similar situation Regards Fraz

hi frazzo!

just wondering how long ago you logged your first complaint with HCF?

Now HCF want to offer me £1300 of the £4450 I have paid (final payment went out yesterday) saying I have had access to the course for 33 months but because I have not finished it they will only charge me for 25 months.

Clear that Hitachi want to get out from under, wonder why?

David

David, Willy,

The day after I heard Advent had gone T**s up I tried to contact HCF by email - their site was no good - so wrote a letter and got the standard response that everyone got. This thing must be a complete nightmare for them (boo hoo) trying to work out at what stage each student is at but I suppose they are at least trying to co-operate a bit better than the Barclays lot. Don't know whether to just accept the 1300 and run away, but on the other hand I didn't pay for access to Advent for a specified period - No - I paid for an MS course to completion (with exam garuantees (never could spell that) and I have proof that after 18 months Advent agreed to suspend my studies. Quandried Fraz

David, Willy,

The day after I heard Advent had gone T**s up I tried to contact HCF by email - their site was no good - so wrote a letter and got the standard response that everyone got. This thing must be a complete nightmare for them (boo hoo) trying to work out at what stage each student is at but I suppose they are at least trying to co-operate a bit better than the Barclays lot. Don't know whether to just accept the 1300 and run away, but on the other hand I didn't pay for access to Advent for a specified period - No - I paid for an MS course to completion (with exam garuantees (never could spell that) and I have proof that after 18 months Advent agreed to suspend my studies. Quandried Fraz

cheers for that Frazzo yeah i was away for 3 weeks so got the e-mail mid feb! its a bit of a tricky 1 really the last last thing any1 wants is to be mugged off but at the same time the bloody stress it causes, its also the fact that the courses were prob about 3000 over priced as it is and the refund would be enough to finish off the training with a little extra in your pocket and a weight off your shoulders.

Cheers Mate, what p's me off if I accept the 1300 quid is that I've actually paid £240 since I found out that Advent had gone bust - not wanting to compromise credit ratings yadda yadda yadda - I am actually working in IT and the fact that I got the 2 A+ exams secured the role I am in so I guess, in a way, I am a dam sight luckier than people who have sunk huge life savings into it and stand to lose it all. At least I have paid for it and haven't got the debt round my neck - It does hack me off though as when the value comes down to 2 x A+ courses at £1500 each - I'm going to have a think over the weekend and decide Monday (oh yeah...I only have until next Friday to accept/reject the offer) Fraz

Cheers Mate, what p's me off if I accept the 1300 quid is that I've actually paid £240 since I found out that Advent had gone bust - not wanting to compromise credit ratings yadda yadda yadda - I am actually working in IT and the fact that I got the 2 A+ exams secured the role I am in so I guess, in a way, I am a dam sight luckier than people who have sunk huge life savings into it and stand to lose it all. At least I have paid for it and haven't got the debt round my neck - It does hack me off though as when the value comes down to 2 x A+ courses at £1500 each - I'm going to have a think over the weekend and decide Monday (oh yeah...I only have until next Friday to accept/reject the offer) Fraz

yeah it could be worse we could be with barclays! the thing is these big financial institutions think they are above the law and they can do what they want. a part of me wants to take it all the way but at the same time i dont wanna be left wiv naff all! theres a fine line. i take it in this letter it says the contract will be terminated if you accept the refund?? i am peed off as they knew they were going bust but they took jan feb and now march payment off me, i did spk with jeanette and she said my credit file would not be affected if i cancel my dd. but when i asked her to email me this in writing surprise surprise it never came!! well dont stress yourself out to much pondering your decision but would you let me know what you decide?

cheers mate

didn't say - it stated they would charge me 1170ish for the two modules (a+) and mcdst course material and refund the rest, i read it that I they don't take more money after i accept. i did claim mis selling as well as well as breach of contract. I contacted them via registered letter the day after i got the email from advent. In the letter I also asked questions about how advent could go bust with all these students paying 5k, (5000 odd?) and inferred that the directors maybe account for the 35 million quid they took of of us.

Edited by ratspeaker

Hi everyone,

I have received a proposal from Hitachi today. It seems all they have done is taken the full cost of the course I have taken (MCSE @ £4750) divided it by the number of modules of the course (In my case 8 modules starting with IT fundamentals) So that makes it £593.75 per module.

As I have completed the CompTIA A+ and had a book sent for the first part of MCDST I have completed 2 and a half modules. So it looks like they have charged me for the following:

IT Fundamentals - £593.75 (For that 1 amazing book)

CompTIA A+ - £593.75 (For both parts and the exams (Not sure how that compares to the Fundamentals book!))

One Microsoft book (RRP £50 approximately) - £296.88

So in total they say I should pay £1484.37. (This apparently is appropriate)

Basically if you have not had an offer yet, you can possibly work it out like how I have done above.

I'll call them on Monday and ask them which joker pulled that out of the bag!

Hope this helps.

I'll call them on Monday and ask them which joker pulled that out of the bag!

And if you really want to negociate, you could also ask why you shouldn't bring acton under S75 of the Consumer Credit Act, for breach of a contract for which they are jointly and severally liable for.

On 2nd thoughts, put it in writing.

David.

This is beginning to sound like I will probably end up with a joke of an offer. My position on this is that I only took out a loan with them for 3k and paid a a nice £1750 deposit straight to advent (whoops!) I accept the fact that I have now lost that but I didn't even get to finish A+ due to unforeseen circumstances. Either way they shouldn't be judging people on how long they had access to the course as there was no set time limit on any contract/enrolment form anyways. As it should stand if any of you did or did not pay a deposit then you should really get a full refund as the cost paid was for and MCSE or whatever else, there is nothing really stating on a contract that your loan has gone to an A+ etc. Look at the Hitachi agreement, it states MCSE not anything else or maybe I'm just looking at anyway to possibly pick these agreements to pieces if it comes to it.

This is beginning to sound like I will probably end up with a joke of an offer. My position on this is that I only took out a loan with them for 3k and paid a a nice £1750 deposit straight to advent (whoops!) I accept the fact that I have now lost that but I didn't even get to finish A+ due to unforeseen circumstances. Either way they shouldn't be judging people on how long they had access to the course as there was no set time limit on any contract/enrolment form anyways. As it should stand if any of you did or did not pay a deposit then you should really get a full refund as the cost paid was for and MCSE or whatever else, there is nothing really stating on a contract that your loan has gone to an A+ etc. Look at the Hitachi agreement, it states MCSE not anything else or maybe I'm just looking at anyway to possibly pick these agreements to pieces if it comes to it.

It does say the course end date is 2 years from the date the enrolment is signed on the agreement i believe, unless they were all different agreements.

I got my offer today and im undecided about it. I was offered 50% back after completing 5 of the 8 units over 19 months.

The sole basis they did this was on the amount of units I had completed which in some wasy is fair but then there is no weighting on the units - sureley my MCITP unit which is unlikely to be passed first time is worth a whole lot more than the IT fundementals turn up and move on job ?

Ill contact on Monday see if there is any movement before deciding.

Looked over my enrolment form again and sure enough there is no satement regarding the 2 years, also on a note my form was signed by myself and the advent rep but lo and behold the form was not dated......hmmm and also there is no specific date stating when the course actually commenced. Feel I have a bit of an opening here, what does anyone else reckon?

Hi everyone i have not completed a 1 A+ exam due to a lot of persnal problems. i started in feb 2008 but had to stop for 18 months i restarted in jan 2010 for a week then advent went bust. I have not received my offer letter as off yet . so i have only done 6 months of this course and paid for 25. Is there anybody in the same boat as me ? and if there is what kind of offer have HCF made you