• Tweets

• I applied to the Court to act as litigation friend has my son is Severely Mentally Impaired and sent the proof they requested from his GP so I thought this might have been accepted without a hearing. I cannot believe the claimant is still convinced my son was the driver.
    • I had to call an ambulance for my wife, but one of the paramedics was not happy, about the condition of our house, as it's cluttered. And he  would only see to my wife, on the ambulance itself. After diagnosis they took my wife to hospital. My wife was ill for a few months, and received help from the district nurses. We then got a call from a social worker, who wanted to visit us, and discuss ways to make my wife more comfortable. When I asked for more details, she became vague, but could give us a phone number, if she visited. I politely declined her offer, as I was coping, along with my daughter in caring for my wife. Then a letter arrived from another social worker, saying similar things, to the first. I didn't bother to reply. Another letter has just turned up, from the social services legal department, which doesn't say anything specific, but refers to the other social workers trying to visit us. Coming from a legal department, has badly upset my wife, who's recovery was on going, and she now fears that someone will be coming to the house, to do whatever. Do we have to respond, or take notice of these people. Also we recently had a fire prevention officer come and fit, smoke and heat detectors. He didn't voice any concerns with the conditions at the property. Worried, Paul.
    • By not sticking to the deadline which you set you have lost credibility. Your letter of claim becomes one of hundreds of others which they receive and which they put in the bin because they think that you are just bluffing.  
    • 05.05.24 Ever so sorry if I have entered this in the wrong part of this website.   My grandfather is in his 70's and retired.  He asked me to help him find a work pension that he was paying into when he was working. From 1967 - 1982 he worked for a Fabric Dying Company, Celanese, Spondon Derby UK. I have already used the GOV.uk Trace Pension Scheme. It listed a few pension companies : Akzo Nobel (CPS) Pension Scheme formerly Courtaulds Pension Scheme.  I do not fully understand how this works but I think this scheme is administer by a company called Willis Tower Watson. We have called this company, got through to the pension department submitted all my grandfather's details (D.O.B. , N.I. no. etc.) but that agent tells that they have no record of my grandfather and ask what is the name of the pension scheme. Here is the problem, his home was burgalled in 2005 and a briefcase which contained his legal documents was stolen. So he does not know who was the Pension Scheme company. I have a this phone number 01332 681 210 for Celanese but it just rings and never gets answered. So I am asking for help if anyone can tell us where we can try next. I am also hoping for a massive long shot that one of them members on this website, worked for or knows someone who worked for British Celanese Spondon Derby and could tell us of any pension company. Thanks for any help.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

The HMRC, Student Loans Company & JSA - Potential for benefit fraud

eraser
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5212 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I received a letter from the Student Loans on Friday stating they`ve been notified by the HMRC (HM Revenue & Customs) that according to their records, I`m now in employment.

First of all, I got a call from the Student Loans mid-last year suggesting I start paying it off (loan). I rang them, told them I was unemployed and had no idea when I would have a job next. They said fine, they`d stop the money being taken out of my account. Great.

This new letter concerns me though, and I know I`m in the wrong although I`m asking to see if anyone here either has experience of this or knows what is likely to happen/give advice.

I did two small spots of temporary work just before Christmas. One was for 3 days - I was removed from the position as I wasnt getting correct grasp of the job quick enough. Next spot I got was for a picking job, £20 an hour for 24 hours. Two 12 hour shifts. I did them, got paid and paid £80 tax from the earnings, plus the little bit of NI.

Anyway, I`m concerned as I know I should`ve signed off, but I didnt. I should`ve signed off then back on again. Am I liable for anything here? It couldnt come at a worse time - due to potentially start a new job this time next month if I passed a recent interview. I just have a feeling a fine is on the way and potentially prosecution. My fault for not signing off...

I spoke to the SLC this morning, and they said I just have to send the letter back to the HMR&C with a small covering letter stating I`m still unemployed, recieving JSA as it was a one off temp job. That with my benefit award certificate. I didnt tell them the jobcenter doesnt know about it.

I`ve been advised to just come clean to the jobcenter about these two spots, or just the one even (December). Thing is, I`m trying to find out how much I`ll have to pay back to the jobcenter, how it`ll go and trying to make sure I wont go to court/be prosecuted. Been told it`s better to come clean to avoid potential courts when I start a new job.

Any advice?

Cheers :)

Hi Eraser

the SLC found out about your work through HMRC, this is because you had to give your National Insurance number to your employer. So when you paid tax and national insurance on your pay this flagged up at the SLC as they have access to the HMRC system, which would have triggered a prompt to them as you are on their system, hence the phone call

You must therefore tell JSA about this work if its triggered a match with the SLC it must have with the JSA system.

Best to tell them yourself, you may end up with an overpayment but its better then Fraud getting involved.. And if you phone up and tell them about the work then you have declared it a bit late but you have :)

Good luck with your interview I really hope you get the job

Hi Mikey,

Thanks a lot for the reply, really appreciate it :)

It looks like I`ll be declaring it tomorrow. Still got to speak with the Citizens Advice people before the, tried them for an hour today and constantly busy.

Someone just told me I might have to pay back the whole JSA from when I started (Nov 2008) to now. Is this correct? If so I`m stumped.

If it`s just JSA for the period I worked, then fine I can do that.

Hi Mikey,

Thanks a lot for the reply, really appreciate it :)

It looks like I`ll be declaring it tomorrow. Still got to speak with the Citizens Advice people before the, tried them for an hour today and constantly busy.

Someone just told me I might have to pay back the whole JSA from when I started (Nov 2008) to now. Is this correct? If so I`m stumped.

If it`s just JSA for the period I worked, then fine I can do that.

I am not JSA trained but if its similar to I.S the overpayment would only be raised for the periods you worked.

If a fraud file is raised for anyone caught working in a past period then the overpayment only covers the days worked by that person

But sure someone will correct me if its different. I cant see how they can get you for the whole period you claimed as you would have made a rapid new claim to JSA if you had signed off and you wouldnt needed to have served any waiting days, so would have only lost JSA for the days you worked,

Speak to CAB but ring the Department as well, get in there first :)

I too had the same letter stating that HMRC had informed them that I had resumed employment and the I would be eligible to start repaying my Student Loan again.

I cannot understand why as I suffered a serious illness halfway through my studies that resulted in me leaving the course and having to leave my place of employment and have on record that it is unlikely I will be unable to work again due to the nature of my disability.

Has anyone else received this letter? What is going on?

I`ve been told to ring the CAB first thing tomorrow morning, although I tried today for an hour.

Apparently I just have to play dumb here. Although truthfully - the 2nd allowance over Christmas didn`t go in on time, so I thought the JC might`ve cottoned onto the work, therefore I wouldn`t need to tell them. I also was intending to sign off albeit, I forgot.

I forgot when I signed on over the 14th as well, although they won`t believe me with that.

So hoping tomorrow they`ll accept it as a dumb thing to do, put me into overpayments and take it out my allowances till the £350 is payed off. Or my allowances since then.

Worst comes to the worst, I get a caution and get my allowance stopped.

Anyone else had this experience? Student Loans require £1250 p/m minimum, so the temp job there measures up to that, even though it was only 24 hours work. But that`s where they would`ve gotten it from...

...Student Loans require £1250 p/m minimum...

Which equates to £15,000 p.a. before anything else. Erm, are they assuming you're on 50k+ ? Their requirements, I'm afraid, would be a little lower on my list of debt priorities...

Rae.

Hello, got a question.

I`ve not been able to get through to the CAB about this issue, although I`ve arranged to speak with the Jobcenter about the issue. They don`t know what it`s about, only that it`s a private matter to be discussed...

When you declare work, do the JC ring up the agency to confirm the work? Or do they just stick this in the books?

Cheers.

No matter how you dress it up benefit fraud is a criminal offence. You may have only worked for 2 days but at £20 ph grossed £480 which is equivelant to 7 weeks JSA. Benefits are designed for the needy not the greedy. Be honest before you end up with a criminal record

always tick the little box that says words to the effect of, 'do you owe student loans',. also it takes ages to get through to the department who you contact to say your in employment, my son tried for three weeks and still didnt get through and ended up having to take a few hours of work in a new position. ;)