• Tweets

• The case against the US-based ride-hailing giant is being brought on behalf of over 10,800 drivers.View the full article
    • I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Nationwide autos Service could have killed me wheels not secure

chris5664
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5209 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am after help and need some sound advice.

I recently used Nationwide Autos for them to service my car.

3 weeks ago I was driving into work only to find that I had a heavy vibration coming from my front wheels and the steering became increasable vague, I immediately pulled over.

I rang the RAC and they inspected the car, the RAC technician said have I had the car serviced recently. I explained yes, Nationwide Autos 4 weeks ago.

The RAC technician showed me that on both front tyres all the wheels bolts were loose including the locking wheel nuts and had the wrong bolts fitted; in fact he loosened them by hand and took only two turns for two of the bolts to come away from the car.

The RAC state that steel wheel bolts designed for my spare wheel were fitted to alloy wheels and none where not torque. The correct alloy wheel bolts were with the locking wheel nut remover. The RAC wrote a report to all this.

I made a complaint to there Head Office informing them of all this and requesting my money back etc

I received a letter saying that this will be investigated.

A Manager rang me and said that this is all been taken quite seriously and stated that on this day when my car was been serviced, in fact three people actually checked my car over the technician the Manager and an auditor, after this it was then it was all road tested. I pointed out that it was not road tested and this is documented on the invoice and I find this all suspect.

He said that did the RAC not say that this should have happened sooner than six weeks after the service, I said no. -- It has only been 4 weeks and not six weeks. I explained that I work for the emergency services as a driver and have spoken to a number of mechanics in our works workshops and all have said it depends on driving styles and could have happened sooner or even later if they had only nipped the wheel nuts up. But with the wrong wheel nuts - that was very wrong and very dangerous.

I then received a telephone call from the regional Manager, who said it is imposable for this to happen after 1500 mile and we will not be looking into any this further he said that he is happy for me to go to Trading Standards.

I rang Consumer direct and they where no help.

I have now written to the Chief executive of this company for him to re look at this.

What else can I do

Please advise me, as I am gob smacked that I could have been killed and now they are basicaly calling me a liar.

Regards

Edited by chris5664

Write to the manager and copy the chief executive and ask to see the clockings on the job card and a copy of the calibration certificate for the torque wrench used for a start. Send to the chief executive as well a copy of the RAC report and ask if it had been checked how they missed the fact it had the wrong bolts fitted.

The big question is how the wrong bolts got there.

The issue surrounds the type of bolt. It is unlikely to take that long to come loose as they point out if the correct bolts fitted however if the wrong bolts are fitted it's a bit of a guessing game. Bentley has had a similar problem much publicised about two years ago.

For the technical bods around the issue is with the clamping force and the interface with surface contact of the bolt hole and the wheel.

Another common mistake most fast fit/Nationwide type of garages make with alloy wheels is to grease the bolts with coppaslip/antiseize grease. This gives a false breakoff reading on a torque wrench which essentially means they are not as tight as they think as the grease dries out etc.

Other aspects are the use of a windy gun to do the bolts up over the torque wrench figure to the extent that the bolt goes into it's elastic stage of deformation and then relaxes over time thus coming loose.

And don't get me started on the wheel alignment they do...........................:-(

Hi,

The issue is that the Technician has made an error.

The steel wheel nuts for the spare wheel were with the locking wheel nut remover and the hub protector key in a plastic box a kit provided by Renault. The technician must have had the box next to him and not looked when putting the alloy wheels back on, thus putting the steel wheel nuts on with the alloy wheel nuts.

They are saying that the wheels were torque and was checked by 3 people and then road tested (the invoice says different to the road test its says - road test NO).

Basically this error could have killed me and my family, due to the neglect of this technician. Nationwide have closed ranks and basically now calling me a liar.

I am asking for advice on what to do next please.

Regards

personally how you want to pursue it is up to you, because they have stated that they will not look into it any further, my opinion is to move on and put it behind you, if you decided to go through the small claims court there would be no gurantee that you would win and could cost you more money, you have the RAC report but there is just no telling what the outcome would be.

thankfully nothing happened but i do understand your frustration and anger at what might have been and trust me i do understand what you are feeling about it , a similar thing happened to me a few years ago, put a new front wheel bearing on, and didn't tighten the driveshaft nut or the wheel nuts correctly, he actually took me to court and lost, ive had many dealings down the years with garages who rip people off and don't think about customers safety from main dealers to back street jobs, i would suggest not returning to this place and tell people by word of mouth to avoid it, be thankful that nothing worse did happen, as much as i would like to say "sue em", i would move on, i know your angry about them putting your families safety at risk and it is appaulling and if something had happened , well it would be a different story altogether, but it is up to you at the end of day what you decide to do.

I disagree. Sue them. They have now told you that the car was checked by 3 people? Rubbish. That is just a load of bowlocks. Then it was road tested? Yet you have an invoice that sasys it wasn't road tested?

A couple of years ago I sat in Kwik Krap and watched the guy balance a wheel after a weight came off on the motorway. Alloy wheels, yet he did them up with the air gun and no torque wrench. Then My car was parked outside and never left my view.

When he asked me to pay I asked him why he had used an air gun on alloys, he said that he didn't. I asked him why he hadn't torqued the bolts correctly, he said that he did. I asked him why the manager has signed to say that he checked everything, he said that he did so. I asked where the manager is now and was told he had just nipped out. Actually, he was off sick.

I then showed him how to do them up porperly with my own socket set and torque wrench and then showed him my big surprise. I had just bought one of those pen/camera things on the weekend and for a laugh was filming this whole thing. I showed him the pen and said that I would send him, head office and trading standards the footage.

He waved the charge for the balancing (how nice) and that as that.

When I got home I found out I had actually not filmed at all - by mistake. But the point is that people will happily lie to your face and do get it very wrong indeed.

In this case, is the 'Auditor' prepared to go to court and swear that he checked your wheel bolts were torqued up correctly?

i agree with what you say jimmyspangle but it's also about proving that they fitted the wrong wheel bolts in their service centre, it's his word against theirs, and don't forget they will have a legal dept for this kind off thing, if he is prepared to go to court then he should, but they could turn round and say we put the correct wheel bolts on, he wants his money back and i don't blame him and he will incur more costs going to court and he could not be sure of winning, i don't like telling anybody not to sue but the onus is on the customer to prove the the garage has been negligent, he will have to prove the technician made that error and if he's confident that he can , then yes take them to court.

Hi,

Thanks for all this and thanks for looking.

I just really want to point out to everyone that I feel that I am lucky enough to be able to write this and to alert people of this situation, this garage could have killed me and my family.

Basically this garage is closing ranks and now is suggesting that I am a liar.

There is a pattern of lies and or omissions coming from this company

What my aim is,

· To make them aware that they have an issue with quality

· I am wanting my money back and a gesture of goodwill

· I wish for my car to be re serviced (not the same place)

· Mainly to point out that they have a duty of care

I have entrusted my car to them.

If I took them to court what would I claim for? As no damage has occurred to my car.

On the Nationwide Autos website they boldly state

Our Guarantee

We operate a 12-month or 12,000 mile guarantee on all parts and workmanship (whichever is the sooner). You also have the additional reassurance of our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.

Our staff are knowledgeable and approachable who will advise you honestly and genuinely care about customers, their cars and whether they’ll come back.

We are the only chain of garages approved by The AA, we have more ATA trained mechanics than any other independent garage group

I feel that I have proved that this is just words

They state they are an AA approved service centre, but I cannot find an address for this.

I have written to their Chief Executive, but we will see mmmmmm :cool:

Can any one offer any advice?

Regards

Edited by chris5664

Hi,

Basically these people are now calling me a liar !!! and their attitude is we have your money now "go and Jog on".

Trading Standards are looking into this with persuasion and this company has been reported to the HSE via a RIDDOR report.

I feel that I am lucky enough to alert you of this

I just want to prepare people that if you have an issue this company they could not give a toss, they have a published guarantee and have bold statements that you can wipe you’re bum on for as much use as it is.

Our Guarantee

We operate a 12-month or 12,000 mile guarantee on all parts and workmanship (whichever is the sooner). You also have the additional reassurance of our

100% Satisfaction Guarantee.

Our staff are knowledgeable and approachable who will advise you honestly and genuinely care about customers, their cars and whether they’ll come back.

We are the only chain of garages approved by The AA, we have more ATA trained mechanics than any other independent garage group

Please be warned

Edited by chris5664

Hi,

Today I received a letter from the Regional General Manager; Funny I addressed this letter to the Chief Executive. This is the Regional General Manager who told me to take it to Trading Standards.

Even the Regional General Manager can even get his story right, in his first sentence of his letter, he states my car was serviced in October 2009, this indeed was November 2009 perhaps along with the car been road tested -was this also another administrate error – I will add this also to all the collection of inaccuracies and omissions like wrong wheel nuts and not toque and the massing string of omissions?

I note with great interest that in his letter that there is no mention of the auditor inspecting my wheels on this particular day; this I was unflinchingly informed of this by a Manager several times that a auditor inspected my wheels on this particular day as a random vehicle along with the manager and the technician.

I have sent another letter to the Chief Executive marked private and confidential, perhaps he may look at this and invent another story perhaps like the Pope was passing with the Queen's Mother and both popped in and checked the wheel nuts as well :rolleyes:

I have asked for them to forward a copy of the singed declaration document of the auditor with his name and qualifications stating that he inspected my car, I have also asked for them to forward the mentioned Vehicle report form with both parties’ signatures - this is the document that the manager and technician declared that they have inspected my car and the clockings of this job.

I am also requesting the calibration report certificate of the torque wrench that tightened my wheels.

I have pointed out that I have taken advice from a number of qualified automotive technicians that the wheel nuts if only tightened ‘nipped up’ that the wheels could have come loose at any time; if not please can you disprove this.

I am not holding my breath. :mad:

Please do not use them

Edited by chris5664

Stand outside the garage on a saturday and tell every person who enters what has happened to you.

I did this with a major car dealer who would not give me my deposit back, took about 3 hours and I got my deposit back!

All I ask is to be treated fairly and lawfully.

I can`t beleive with their conduct and attitude alone that they haven`t been brought to book by the authorities I`ve never heard of a company like this especially in a recession you`d think they`d want to keep customers sweet so they`ll pass the word and return when in fact this company seems to be on a suicide mission to drag their company down with bad press

Did the RAC engineer sign his report so you have his name?

This is you silver lining. They may call you a liar, but it's very doubtfull they would call the RAC liars especially in court. Your foremost grudge here is with the wrong wheelnuts and they can seriously damage alloy wheels permanently especially if they were overtightened.

I would write to the RAC letting them in on what is happening, you may require them at a later date.

Hi,

The RAC did an official roadside report; he signed it with his ID on it etc.

But yet again it’s for me to prove that Nationwide Autos were the last people to touch the car. I am 100% convinced that they know that they are as guilty as sin and are closing ranks.

I have looked at all the social websites and this company has not got good feedback at all and the customer care is appalling.

I will see what the Chief Executive says; perhaps he might even get the letter.

I will update you.

PLEASE DO NOT USE THEM

You could complain to the AA as well as are allegedly approved. I know from past experience they take complaints very seriously though in my case it was an AA driving school instructor parking on double yellows withing 10 feet of a major junction whilst he nipped in for a takeaway ruby murray.

Hi

Thanks Heliosuk,

I sent a letter off to the AA yesterday - I note that there is no address for the AA accreditation with Nationwide Autos, so I sent this off to AA customer services.

I feel so vulnerable you entrust garages with your car and potentially your life.

I feel that the only thing left that I can do is to inform you all

Do Not Use Nationwide Autos

:mad: